Rumor: Daniel Cleary Retires

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Cleary is the one who used a PTO with Philly to leverage a last-minute meeting in an airplane hanger after the writing was on the wall and we were maxed out on cap and roster space, when he knew damn well Babcock would go to bat for him.

We can act like Cleary didn't pull some strings and just signed a contract that was given to him, but I don't buy that for a second.

Maybe he did, but no GM should get worked by a player like that, let alone with as little value to the team as Cleary did at that point.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Wonder if the Wings players will continue to wear his Hockey School hats, now?

In all seriousness, he gave all he could for the organization and held on just a little too long. Well respected.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Cleary is kind of the player that summarizes the Wings last 7 years. Average hockey player, but management-friendly and respected as a guy in the locker room..let's act like he's a franchise legend.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Cleary is kind of the player that summarizes the Wings last 7 years. Average hockey player, but management-friendly and respected as a guy in the locker room..let's act like he's a franchise legend.

He is a HF Boards Legend.

His signings and fears of re-signing have caused biggest overreactions of all time.

Lgw

Feb 4, 2016
He played a pretty good role in winning the cup. I would ha e hung on to long trying to play the game I love too.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Big fan of Cleary. It was a tough ending. But I appreciate how much he loves this organization and the city. Solid dude that loves the sweater as much as most of us and gave us everything he had. I wish him luck and I am happy that it looks like he will be staying in the family in his post playing career.

stu the grim reaper

Jul 3, 2002
dan cleary is an AMAZING role model, and I don't begrudge an online forum devoted to potential future talent for missing the point. he was a draft bust, and he almost quit hockey, but he had a come-to-jesus moment, and he had work twice as hard for half as much, but got a second act. most people don't get a second act. he's a winner at life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->