Rumor: Daniel Cleary Retires

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
A worthy finish to a respectable career. A true Red Wing. I hope he gets to stay within the organization.
f6a965dbb037ca8020789110dcb2d04c.jpg

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Cleary on the ice technically retired last season. He signed a Holland "thanking for sticking around" AHL only contract to occupy an AHL veteran roster spot to where he never played a regular season nor playoff game for the Griffins in 2016-17. He was technically their unofficial 4th assistant coach, was on the ice for practices for the most part. He had no legs left and he barely could keep up when he played only a half a season in 2015-16 for the Griffins. An article in early 2017 stated that he had no intention of playing a game for the Griffins in 2016-17 season, unless it was absolutely needed for him to. He never did. Not sure what his role will be for 2017-18 if he is going to be another of Holland's "special assistant" like Draper, Maltby, and others, or be a scout, or maybe become an official assistant coach for the Griffins. Will see.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
We've bagged on him in the past but he's a good dude and a loyal member of the organization. That was a trip seeing him in uniform skating the Calder Cup last night.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Guy was a beast for us when we were competing for cups. The physical toll he put his body through really showed by the end. Best of luck to whatever he does next.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
We've bagged on him in the past but he's a good dude and a loyal member of the organization. That was a trip seeing him in uniform skating the Calder Cup last night.

This is exactly it. He gave us his all and has amazing heart.

He only stuck around a season or 2 too long.

Thanks for the memories cleary and good luck!

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
He is very well respected within, specifically by the players. You look at the Griffins and the Wings, and they're all repping his hockey school. He worked as a coach for the Griffs really, and if someone moves around he could take a spot as an assistant. I could see Mike Knuble getting a promotion somewhere. Wonder if Todd Nelson can get NHL offers right now. He makes sense. He was really good in his NHL stint and his resume in the A is A+.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Thank you for the cup and hanging around too long in the NHL. Thank you for mentoring the young bucks in the AHL. You were a professional about the AHL situation, too bad you didn't go there earlier.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
He was a great support player, but my feelings for Danny boy went sour as he ended up hurting the team in his later years. Perhaps that is more on Babs though.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Showed great perseverance during his career. Stand up guy with great character.

Good story too. A former high NHL pick who bottoms out and then ends up turning a pro tryout into a legit run with Detroit.
Including becoming the first ever Newfoundlander to win he Stanley Cup.. he literally made the history books.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
He stuck around for far too long and was the posterchild for all that Holland did to drive this organization into the ground. His career went out like a fart that cleared the room and wouldn't dissipate. He turned a comeback playoff warrior narrative into a collective grown every new off season he signed. If it was a year or two too long its understandable but 5 years? Come on, just go away then and now.

One of my favorite all time memories of Cleary is babcock saying we are going to put him [Cleary] on Daytsuk's wing to get him [Daytsuk] going. Its my favorite because its a belly laugh whenever I think about it.

Last edited:

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I honestly have more negative feelings toward him than positive at this point. While I appreciate his contribution to our cup, everything after that was not okay. He became the face of the country club atmosphere and everything toxic about this organization.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I honestly have more negative feelings toward him than positive at this point. While I appreciate his contribution to our cup, everything after that was not okay. He became the face of the country club atmosphere and everything toxic about this organization.

I blame Holland for that, not Cleary. It's not Cleary's responsibility to turn down contracts to help the team.

Cleary had a great career and he's done a lot for this state, enjoy retirement.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I blame Holland for that, not Cleary. It's not Cleary's responsibility to turn down contracts to help the team.

Cleary had a great career and he's done a lot for this state, enjoy retirement.

Cleary is the one who used a PTO with Philly to leverage a last-minute meeting in an airplane hanger after the writing was on the wall and we were maxed out on cap and roster space, when he knew damn well Babcock would go to bat for him.

We can act like Cleary didn't pull some strings and just signed a contract that was given to him, but I don't buy that for a second.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Cleary is the one who used a PTO with Philly to leverage a last-minute meeting in an airplane hanger after the writing was on the wall and we were maxed out on cap and roster space, when he knew damn well Babcock would go to bat for him.

We can act like Cleary didn't pull some strings and just signed a contract that was given to him, but I don't buy that for a second.

While true, this wouldn't be an issue if Holland ran this like a business and not a country club. Holland is incapable of moving on from players, guys like Hudler and Filppula had to turn down deals, if they wanted to stay Holland would've given them lifetime deals.

Holland should have known the right move for the club was to move on from Cleary, but he let Cleary dictate all of the terms.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

"K, have fun in Philly."

- What Ken Holland should have said.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site

Come on. The guy scored a career high 26 goals 3 years AFTER the cup. You realize not a single Red Wing scored 26 goals last season?

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Facts. But I also think Cleary knew exactly what he was doing, and went about it in a calculated way.

I'm sure he did. But I won't fault the guy for wanting to stay with an organization that is very clearly dear to his heart.

My train of thought is this. Ken Holland is in charge of who gets a contract offer, it's then up to the player in question to accept/reject that offer. It was 100% certain that Cleary would accept an offer to play for the Wings. Ken Holland should not have offered that contract, 100%.

As far as I'm concerned, that situation was 100% on Ken Holland.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Cleary's last functional season was 2012 and he was still on the team after for 3 years after that. That was more on Holland then him though. As time moves on we'll forget the stench of those 3 years and remember the 7 he was solid for us.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Cleary's last functional season was 2012 and he was still on the team after for 3 years after that. That was more on Holland then him though. As time moves on we'll forget the stench of those 3 years and remember the 7 he was solid for us.
In the 2013 lockout shortened year he was 7th on the team in regular season scoring and a top penalty killer.
He also finished 2nd on the team in playoff scoring with 10 points in 14 games when it mattered.

I would say 8 functional/good years and 2 bad years at the end.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->