Player Discussion Daniel Carr

Status
Not open for further replies.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Drouin-Chucky-Gally
Wax-Danault-Carr/Shaw

Need Lekhs to compensate for defensive issues of Chuck/Drouin.

Pacioretty and Gallagher give two options for Danault which we saw last year makes all the difference. The logic for me is sealed since we saw Lekhs with Chuck and Drouin they looked great. I got the idea when Drouin was chased from the faceoff, Chucky then wins the faceoff and it lead to a real nice opportunity.

As I mentioned above I'm a big fan of this top 9:

Lekhonen - Chuck - Drouin
Pacioretty - Danault - Gallagher
Hudon - Plekanec - Byron

Reactions: groovejuice

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center

Pacioretty and Gallagher give two options for Danault which we saw last year makes all the difference. The logic for me is sealed since we saw Lekhs with Chuck and Drouin they looked great. I got the idea when Drouin was chased from the faceoff, Chucky then wins the faceoff and it lead to a real nice opportunity.

Hudon - Plekanec - Byron
I think Drouin is a Left wing though, and Lehkonen scores more from the Right side...

Drouin-Chuchy-Lehky

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I think Drouin is a Left wing though, and Lehkonen scores more from the Right side...

If that's the case, I have no issue with switching them as long as all 3 are together I'm happy. Drouin/Chucky get each other and Lekhonen adds an extra offensive option but mostly defensive stability. He can compensate for what Drouin and Chucky do naturally.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

Hudon - Plekanec - Byron

On paper it's roughly what I've wanted. But Byron seems to play well with Drouin and Galchenyuk. So, I'd keep him there. I would like to see Gallagher with Danault and Pacioretty. Pacioretty and Gallagher have had success opposite each other in the past, and Danault seems to be the best center for Pacioretty. That leaves Hudon Plekanec and Lehkonen, who had success in the preseason.

Alternatively, we still haven't seen Drouin with Pacioretty and Danault - i.e. Drouin essentially taking Radulov's spot from last year.

Reactions: King In Glory

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Carr deserves more quality minutes. Knowing Bergevin and Julien the opposite will happen

Julien said he a press conference he likes how dangerous Carr is around the net with the puck. That he's aware of this is a good thing. If Carr can continue to produce, I see him winning over Julien and getting the benefit of the doubt going forward.

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013

Hudon - Plekanec - Byron

Man oh man. Our line up is so trash

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver

Yep!
Low quality 1st liners
Unproven small and soft 2nd liners.
Small and soft 3rd liners.
Our forth line as been one of the best the last few weeks and its probably our most balance line in term of skill, size, speed, physicality and defensive play.

Reactions: Big Lurk

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

It's weak up the middle and it doesn't have the right mixture of wingers but oddly enough I like most of our players. If somehow we could throw an obscene amount of money at JT, get a high pick, trade Patches for young prospects/and or picks and have Poehling graduate sooner than later than we might just have something. MB should not under any circumstances be allowed to trade Galchenyuk. You know he'll blossom elsewhere. I do believe that if we have another losing season that MB will be done. Under a new org Galch can still flourish here but not with this one.

Reactions: BLONG7
Aug 25, 2009
éal
Carr has 9 points in 8 games - that's a career high for him. He never had 10 points in a season in his career. Probably going to happen sooner than later. Good for him, if he keep working he can have a decent career as a middle 6 winger.

Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Carr has 9 points in 8 games - that's a career high for him. He never had 10 points in a season in his career. Probably going to happen sooner than later. Good for him, if he keep working he can have a decent career as a middle 6 winger.

His subsequent years at every level have been much much better...

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Daniel Carr is not showing any losing mentality amidst plenty of losing mentality. Things you look for in a hockey player, it's called character. We paid big bucks for that quality but we are getting it from one of our cheapest under contract sources, sad really.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Daniel Carr is not showing any losing mentality amidst plenty of losing mentality. Things you look for in a hockey player, it's called character. We paid big bucks for that quality but we are getting it from one of our cheapest under contract sources, sad really.
Yup. He can basically do what Shaw can for a much cheaper price. Best part is that we didn't have to give 2 young core players for him.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Yup. He can basically do what Shaw can for a much cheaper price. Best part is that we didn't have to give 2 young core players for him.

Well, since we are on the topic. I believe that guys like Shaw, Plekanec and Alzner (15 million per collectively) can be replaced for what they bring for 3-4 million per year. Julien has to play those three because of their pay checks.

We are paying a premium for depth and not good depth but just depth. All of this while still having no 1-2C and holes on D. The team is built like a pickup game where all of the sticks were tossed in the middle and one guy just tosses them in different directions.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I really hope management is looking at the Carr situation and asking themselves why wasn't he called up sooner? Some around here were calling for it and yet despite being likely their best player he wasn't. Now that he has he's clearly showing he should have been here much sooner.

As for Shaw, he's on pace for a career high, only 2 players have more goals then him. I wish he made closer to 3M then 3.9 but don't see him as an issue. Pleks is insanely overpaid, if only he was at 2-3M, as he's still a good PKer but a 6M cap hit for a 30 pt forward is just brutal. Alzner making 12M over the next 2 years is a f***ing joke. Granted he had 42 pts over 2 seasons ('14-'16) but last year he dropped to 13 pts. He's had 1 pt in the last 25 games.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I really hope management is looking at the Carr situation and asking themselves why wasn't he called up sooner? Some around here were calling for it and yet despite being likely their best player he wasn't. Now that he has he's clearly showing he should have been here much sooner.

As for Shaw, he's on pace for a career high, only 2 players have more goals then him. I wish he made closer to 3M then 3.9 but don't see him as an issue. Pleks is insanely overpaid, if only he was at 2-3M, as he's still a good PKer but a 6M cap hit for a 30 pt forward is just brutal. Alzner making 12M over the next 2 years is a ****ing joke. Granted he had 42 pts over 2 seasons ('14-'16) but last year he dropped to 13 pts. He's had 1 pt in the last 25 games.

I was just thinking the same thing. The thing is most of us posters wanted him called up sooner...

About Plekanec. He's 2nd on the team, only behind Danault in points 5 on 5. I've said for a while now, he should be on the 2nd pp. He's still good at playing the half wall when we have an extra man. He doesn't have the quickness to create 5 on 5. But he could do it on the half wall.

I still think we have a lot of potential that isn't being used, like the Carr situation before.

Chucky should be playing center.

Shaw should be on the third line, but get pp time in front of the net.

Gallagher, Byron and Hudon should fight to complete the Pacioretty-Danault and Chucky-Drouin duos.

Scherbak may surprise. When Lehkonen comes back and if Scherbak does emerge, Shaw should be on the 4th lien.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I was just thinking the same thing. The thing is most of us posters wanted him called up sooner...

About Plekanec. He's 2nd on the team, only behind Danault in points 5 on 5. I've said for a while now, he should be on the 2nd pp. He's still good at playing the half wall when we have an extra man. He doesn't have the quickness to create 5 on 5. But he could do it on the half wall.

I still think we have a lot of potential that isn't being used, like the Carr situation before.

Chucky should be playing center.

Shaw should be on the third line, but get pp time in front of the net.

Gallagher, Byron and Hudon should fight to complete the Pacioretty-Danault and Chucky-Drouin duos.

Scherbak may surprise. When Lehkonen comes back and if Scherbak does emerge, Shaw should be on the 4th lien.

I would send Lehkonen to the AHL for conditioning. Shaw imo has been one of our better players so I don't see him on the 4th line. I know it's crazy but I would rather have Hudon, Byron and Gallagher on the PP then Pacioretty, he's had 1 goal in 15 games, time for him to take a back seat. There's a lot of blame to go around but for me he's at the top of the list. Might not even score 20 if this keeps up.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I would send Lehkonen to the AHL for conditioning. Shaw imo has been one of our better players so I don't see him on the 4th line. I know it's crazy but I would rather have Hudon, Byron and Gallagher on the PP then Pacioretty, he's had 1 goal in 15 games, time for him to take a back seat. There's a lot of blame to go around but for me he's at the top of the list. Might not even score 20 if this keeps up.

I don't mind Pacioretty in the high slot/in front of the net, perhaps on the 2nd unit since Shaw is doing so well on the first. I can't stand Pacioretty on the half wall

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
Carr used to always be behind the play, whereas he's noticeably faster this year. It was clear from the moment he stepped on the ice in pre-season. I'd put him in Byron's spot, as I find he's only useful offensively against bad teams, where he can put pressure on defenses with his insane speed. Anyway can't believe we have finally deveoped a hard-nosed guy through our system, hopefully Bitten follows suit.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Hudon - Plekanec - Byron

It's likely the best usage of our players, but personally I'd stop short of fandom, simply because of the contrast with teams with clearly superior rosters.

The D remains an abomination.

Reactions: King In Glory

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

As for Shaw, he's on pace for a career high, only 2 players have more goals then him. I wish he made closer to 3M then 3.9 but don't see him as an issue. Pleks is insanely overpaid, if only he was at 2-3M, as he's still a good PKer but a 6M cap hit for a 30 pt forward is just brutal. Alzner making 12M over the next 2 years is a ****ing joke. Granted he had 42 pts over 2 seasons ('14-'16) but last year he dropped to 13 pts. He's had 1 pt in the last 25 games.

I think of @417 when I read this and his argument when it comes to Plekanecs usage, he maintains and I think correctly so that there are others on the roster that could do what he does if given the same minutes, it was actually what most of us wanted to see become of Eller. Alzner and Shaw are in the same boat here, they are vets but not overly talented and it is not hard to replicate what they bring for less money. It is a big shortcoming of bergevins when deciding how to value what he goes after in a player. He thinks he is still in a locker room with fellow plugs and thinks that their value to a team is what makes it successful but it is completely wrong. You need talent above all and hard working players can be had at any time because that is exactly what they are. We are doing things in reverse here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad