Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
auston-matthews-briere.jpg

Auston Matthews and Daniel Briere

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Briere is the classic poster boy for "Coyote Luck" - he was traded right when the rules changed to favor his playing style. I will always remember him most for The Trade, which in my mind is probably the watershed that marked the team's tumble down the crapper.

Bitterness aside, he had a great career and I wish him the best in retirement.

Naych_PHX

Hey now!
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
I always loved his swinging first pump goal celebration. Kinda stole it from him during my roller hockey days.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Still bitter from when we traded him.

Yeah, Danny was my main man - we're the same size (he replaced Cliff Ronning in that role, who is also the same age as me)... I used to work with this older lady who was all goo-goo eyes over Briere; we were crushed when he was traded.

I considered it an honor, however, that he changed his jersey number from 8 to 48 to match mine, which he wore the rest of his career.

Merci, Daniel.

The Grocery Stick

AZDomiNation
Oct 30, 2014
ID
Much respect for Briere and his playoff success. Coyotes did not benefit much by moving him as he ultimately turned into Gormley as far as I can tell. It could be argued that we wouldn't have got Morris for merely Vaananen so in that regard I guess there was received value. Would've preferred having a big game goal scoring center during all those years though.

The Grocery Stick

AZDomiNation
Oct 30, 2014
ID
Skilled, small and weak is > unskilled, big and strong...

Hindsight can show that NHL general managers don't always think clearly when it comes to making trades.

On March 10, 2003, the Phoenix Coyotes traded Daniel Briere and a 2004 third-round draft pick (Andrej Sekera) to the Buffalo Sabres for Chris Gratton and a 2004 fourth-round pick.

Briere went on to be wildly successful with the Sabres for three seasons. Briere scored 85 regular-season goals, 218 points, and had a terrific playoffs in the 2006. He scored 19 points in 18 games, leading the Sabres to within one game of the Stanley Cup final.

Gratton, on the other hand, was a bust in Phoenix. He played just two seasons and had 30 points in 72 games.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-trade-deadline-day-30-part-2/

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Briere is the classic poster boy for "Coyote Luck" - he was traded right when the rules changed to favor his playing style. I will always remember him most for The Trade, which in my mind is probably the watershed that marked the team's tumble down the crapper.

Bitterness aside, he had a great career and I wish him the best in retirement.
It gets brought up pretty much every time the Briere trade is discussed but personally I think the rule change excuse is total BS. Briere had already broken out and was trending upwards well before those rule changes. He had 60, 58 and 65 pt seasons before the lockout. The Coyotes brass weren't burned by rule changes, they were just morons who fell in love with size and draft pedigree. Such a dumb trade!

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
It gets brought up pretty much every time the Briere trade is discussed but personally I think the rule change excuse is total BS. Briere had already broken out and was trending upwards well before those rule changes. He had 60, 58 and 65 pt seasons before the lockout. The Coyotes brass weren't burned by rule changes, they were just morons who fell in love with size and draft pedigree. Such a dumb trade!

Exactly. Just a horrible deal. The ownership and management have been pretty ****** the entire time the Yotes have been in AZ. Getting JR here was about the only really strong move they ever made.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

You Sir, are correct.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I met him once at the Phoenix zoo, when I was 8 or 9. One of the nicest players that I can remember. It's still the stupidest trade in Coyotes history.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I have the best picture of myself with Briere at one of those Coyote fanfest things. If it wasn't for the stupid grin on my face it would totally look like Briere is taking his picture with me! haha

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The trade made him an even better player. The obsession with size continued on with Maloney, but he seems to be over it now.

howlincoyote2k1

Apr 14, 2005
Provo, Utah
Yeah, that trade ruined the team for a few years. I tried my best to justify it, but deep down, I knew Chris Gratton wasn't worth squat.

Good luck with retirement Danny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad