Daniel Bertram vs. Phil Kessel

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-SHARKIE

Both are explosive skaters but IMO Bertram is a better skater, Kessel is really quick but he's just not as natural as Bertram.

Also Bertram seems to be more of a playmaker from what I've seen where as Kessel is more of a finisher. But Bertram can also score and Kessel can make some great plays.

Good comparison.

Last edited:

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Bertram..... I think Bertram right now is better but who knows about the future...
both have excellent speed... both could grow a little

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
I'd take Kessel. Both are top players but I feel Kessel has proved himself more against advanced competition and older players. At least, Kessel has to this point in time.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Kessel is younger and has proven more. He's the early favorite for #1 overall next year and sounds like a much more higher impact talent (not to taking anything away from Bertram, who also has loads of potential).

Kessel's performance at the U-18 last April was spectacular, as he was considered to be the most dominant player in the tourney by many scouts. And this was against players two years older than him. He finished with 7 goals and 10 points in 6 games and opened a lot of scouts eyes, most of whom were there to watch players drafted this past draft. If he continues to develop (and grow), look out.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I saw Kessel play last weekend. He absolutely flies on the ice, very good up and down the ice but quick laterally too. He has good balance as well. It's true, he skates in a rather upright style compared to some but it doesn't take away from his skating ability at all. From what I saw skating had to be one of his best, if not the best attribute in his arsenal. That said, he has great hands too. Passes are tape to tape. Looked aware enough in his own zone and he didn't float a whole lot. Not a big hitter, but I didn't expect that from him anyhow. It was pretty easy to see that he was the best player on the ice, very impressive for a 17 year old playing against many players in their 20's.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
AJ1982 said:
I saw Kessel play last weekend. He absolutely flies on the ice, very good up and down the ice but quick laterally too. He has good balance as well. It's true, he skates in a rather upright style compared to some but it doesn't take away from his skating ability at all. From what I saw skating had to be one of his best, if not the best attribute in his arsenal. That said, he has great hands too. Passes are tape to tape. Looked aware enough in his own zone and he didn't float a whole lot. Not a big hitter, but I didn't expect that from him anyhow. It was pretty easy to see that he was the best player on the ice, very impressive for a 17 year old playing against many players in their 20's.

What game was that?

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Captain Conservative said:
What game was that?

The U-18 team is playing exhibition games against NCAA teams right now. Must have been one of those, as I notice he registered quite a few shots in a few of those games (but got only 1 assist).

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
It was the game against Clarkson at Cheel Arena last Saturday. Pretty good game, Kessel only had a pp assist but he played well. Skille also played a good game. One guy who I didn't know about before but stood out was Gerbe. He's tiny, I mean like 5'5 or 5'6 but he actually hit a few times, played tenaciously and was very quick.

No, I doubt Kessel would have moved Malkin down at all. He's a great player but I don't think he's at Malkin's level.

X0ssbar

I know Kessel is from the states - what about Betram, Canadian or American?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->