Player Discussion: Danick Martel

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Didn’t think Martel played that bad, didn’t watch him during preseason. Only issue is at times he was skating like a headless chicken:laugh:

I don't think he shoots the puck as well as was advertised. I mean, it's like, his shot has plenty of zip on it, but his release looks slow to me. At least so far. It's not like we have a big sample size. But, so far, it looks like he takes too much time to set his shot up for it to be effective, and his shot is pretty much the only thing he brings to the table above anybody else.

At some point I think he'll be in the A. It's just, for the moment, nobody's really banging down the door for a spot in the lineup, so far as I can tell. It's not Martel they're trying to outplay down there--it's Erne. No point in bringing anybody up unless they're going to play.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I really don't think Andreoff playing 8 minutes per night is going to make or break us in the playoffs.

But when you're talking about one guy or another "providing" something, you're ignoring the overall point that Martel is up here to sit in the pressbox, not play. Whoever's up here is going to provide next to nothing. So I'd rather have them provide real things in Syracuse.
Not ignoring the overall point I am saying he’s up here to sit in order for others to help the cause in Syracuse. That’s been my whole point !!

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Martel try’s hard but is more easily pushed off the puck due to his small frame, which doesn’t create many chances in the offensive zone.

Danick is a decent scorer in the AHL but I don’t believe his game will translate all that well in Tampa, he’s got that energizer bunny skate in every which direction drive in him but most of it is wasted energy.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
He really does not have a place on the team. A role player. The call up could be to test the waters for next year if they have to move salary for a cheaper role player.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I get the comparisons to Conacher but i've seen enough of Conacher, he just doesn't bring enough to the bottom six to be up. Martel I think has a better scoring touch.

Reactions: JonnyZ

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Clearly we see something in the guy considering we were willing to trade Koekkoek rather than risk losing him to waivers and then told him to get an apartment. Hopefully he’ll justify management’s faith in him.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
He’s been pretty solid and had that one highlight reel spinaround assist. Good decision to keep him!

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Hey guys I noticed he’s getting into more games of late, has he finally earned a full time spot? What’s his future look like?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Hey guys I noticed he’s getting into more games of late, has he finally earned a full time spot? What’s his future look like?
Nah - just some nicks + Point getting a time out. He's our 14th forward, but he has a nice jump when he gets into games.

Future - I mean the kid has some skills and tenacity. If he develops the IQ to go with it, he could carve a nice little spot out for himself. As far as his future in Tampa? Depends on how he feels about being the 13th forward next season. If he's okay with it, I'd be cool bringing him back, but he probably wants to see if he gets a roster spot next season somewhere else.

Reactions: Son of Petter

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Thx!
Nah - just some nicks + Point getting a time out. He's our 14th forward, but he has a nice jump when he gets into games.

Future - I mean the kid has some skills and tenacity. If he develops the IQ to go with it, he could carve a nice little spot out for himself. As far as his future in Tampa? Depends on how he feels about being the 13th forward next season. If he's okay with it, I'd be cool bringing him back, but he probably wants to see if he gets a roster spot next season somewhere else.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I think people are sleeping on Martel too much. Every time he was on the ice he always managed to do at least one really decent thing out there. I think we're gonna be pleasantly surprised by him if we ever gave the fella more than a game once a month.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think people are sleeping on Martel too much. Every time he was on the ice he always managed to do at least one really decent thing out there. I think we're gonna be pleasantly surprised by him if we ever gave the fella more than a game once a month.

...I think I saw him do two decent things all year.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
...I think I saw him do two decent things all year.

Yeah me too. And it was in only 9 games and 4 of them saw him get less than 10 minutes TOI. It's entirely possible he's nothing more than an AHLer but the sample size at the NHL level is too small to really make that determination. There's guys we've had in the past like Crombeen that couldn't do two decent things all year or how Matt Carle went half a season without even registering a single point.

So it's basically nothing more than devil's advocate for Martel. Throw him a bone and see what we can do. He might surprise us. He might not. But in what I saw I think he's worth another look simply as not to give up on him. I'd hate for us to be sitting on 10 goals from him and not realize it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad