Player Discussion: Danick Martel

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
He was visible in a nice way a few times against Ottawa. I wouldn't mind keeping him up to have some competition for guys in the bottom 6. Although now with Palat out that would be Erne, Conacher and Martel all competing for just one spot as I don't see them getting a spot over anyone else. Erne surprisingly hasn't been that useless either so far.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Although we lost I thought he didn't look bad in his first game for us against Ottawa. Definitely an alternative to Conacher and maybe even Erne.

Thoughts?
I'd rather have Erne. He skates hard but it's kind of chaotic - he can't stop without falling over/hitting the wall.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm just not seeing what he adds to the team. Even with our worst players, you can usually see some asset/skill they're bringing to the table. Maybe Martel's rusty, which would be understandable, but he has a top-six type skillset that's not good enough to play in the actual top-six, and I'm not sure what he's gonna accomplish with Callahan and Paquette.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
He looked below average in his 4 games in Syracuse. There are players in the system that deserve it more than him. My only thought is that he is the warm body that sits while others (Conacher, Andreoff) help the Crunch win some games.

Reactions: Hoek

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
He's a discount Conacher at best as far as I can tell. I would be a little annoyed if I were Cory. I agree he seems to be there just to avoid depleting the Crunch.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We might be just trying not to lose him to waivers right now. Then again, if somebody's got to sit, he's kind of suited for that job.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
We might be just trying not to lose him to waivers right now. Then again, if somebody's got to sit, he's kind of suited for that job.
Who cares if you lose him to waivers. Plenty of guys in Syracuse more deserving. Greg McKegg all over again.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Who cares if you lose him to waivers. Plenty of guys in Syracuse more deserving. Greg McKegg all over again.
That’s not how you manage assets though. Losing someone means you have to get somebody else. Paperwork. Changing somebody’s life. Etc.

And what does it change to have Martel warm a bench spot while the kids needing/deserving playing time get ice time in the A?

Last edited:

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
That’s not how you manage assets though. Losing someone means you have to get somebody else. Paperwork. Changing somebody’s life. Etc.

And what does it change to have Martel warm a bench spot while the kids needing/deserving playing time get ice time in the A?
We have people and we did change people’s lives (Conacher). Andreoff is the perfect 13th forward with plenty of nhl experience as well as being accustomed to being a regular scratch. I’m not talking kids (which Martel is) I’m talking our veteran depth guys. This all points to what I said earlier, Martel is not here because he deserves it, the Crunch need our nhl depth guys to compete right now.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Warm body, cheap depth while our babies get playing time in the AHL.

Yeah. I don't think he deserves a spot on the team really, but the spot he occupies, in recent years, has become the lowest on our totem pole. I mean, Conacher is very likely the better player, but I think Conacher is becoming the new Luke Witkowski/Mike Angelidis. It's more about how he contributes to the development of younger players by keeping the Crunch competitive year-in, year-out, and creating a culture of winning.

I didn't want Martel to make the team out of camp, but, seeing how rarely we're deviating from our regulars, he's the guy who makes the most sense for the spot.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Again not talking kids I’m talking Andreoff, Conacher I thought this was to be their roles.

Both guys are probably more valuable to the Crunch than Martel would be. I think that's a consideration too. We just gave Conacher a one-way deal if I'm not mistaken, which, aside from a waiver deterrent, is a bit of a reward for him being such a trooper.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Both guys are probably more valuable to the Crunch than Martel would be. I think that's a consideration too. We just gave Conacher a one-way deal if I'm not mistaken, which, aside from a waiver deterrent, is a bit of a reward for him being such a trooper.
Exactly !!!!

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Yeah. I don't think he deserves a spot on the team really, but the spot he occupies, in recent years, has become the lowest on our totem pole. I mean, Conacher is very likely the better player, but I think Conacher is becoming the new Luke Witkowski/Mike Angelidis. It's more about how he contributes to the development of younger players by keeping the Crunch competitive year-in, year-out, and creating a culture of winning.

I didn't want Martel to make the team out of camp, but, seeing how rarely we're deviating from our regulars, he's the guy who makes the most sense for the spot.
Moreover - Conacher is on a one-way contract, so I don't feel too bad for him making 700k in upstate New York.

Reactions: DFC

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
We're not losing because we lack physicality though. In fact we win quite a lot.
And we are not losing because we lack speed on the forth line. Andreoff is a warrior that we need in the playoffs. Also would prefer the spark and skill that Conacher provides. All I am simply saying is Martel is not here because he deserved it, it is due to the circumstances and our enormous amount of veteran injuries in Syracuse.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
And we are not losing because we lack speed on the forth line. Andreoff is a warrior that we need in the playoffs. Also would prefer the spark and skill that Conacher provides. All I am simply saying is Martel is not here because he deserved it, it is due to the circumstances and our enormous amount of veteran injuries in Syracuse.

I really don't think Andreoff playing 8 minutes per night is going to make or break us in the playoffs.

But when you're talking about one guy or another "providing" something, you're ignoring the overall point that Martel is up here to sit in the pressbox, not play. Whoever's up here is going to provide next to nothing. So I'd rather have them provide real things in Syracuse.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Didn’t think Martel played that bad, didn’t watch him during preseason. Only issue is at times he was skating like a headless chicken:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->