Danes in SHL 2015/2016

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
So, SHL might be invaded by Danes for the upcoming season. At this point there are two Danes playing regularly in the best Swedish league, but a number of players have the possibility to qualify for the next season.

First and foremost we have some spiring young talent in clubs that are already there. We have Kristian Jensen in Luleå who have had his debut this season and then we have Thomas Lillie who have been called up a couple of times in Växjö, but have yet to start between the pipes. Both players are expected to get closer to a starting spot in the season to come.

Then we have a very interesting scenario in the Hockeyallsvenskan, the second best tier in Sweden. Especially interesting is it because that SHL expands from 12 to 14 clubs next season. At this point George Galbraith is leading comftable with his Karlskrona with one round in regular season to go. Number one and two plays each other in best of 5 for a direct promotion for SHL. Next there is Malmö with Frederik Storm, which by the way is one of the most important players on the team and is to be considered to move to SHL even if Malmö doesnt qualify by themselves. The same goes for Jesper Jensen in Rögle, whom is rumoured to Frölunda right now.

Then we have a long shot with Oskarshamn who needs to win their last game tomorrow for having a chance to qualify for the playoffs. Oskarshamn currently have the Poulsen brothers and Emil Kristensen in their stable. Anbd finally Felix Schell is playing in Björklöven.

Buttom line, a very interesting time is up if you look at it with Danish glasses. In a month or so, we might have as many as 7 new SHL players of for the next season. Now that is called progress.

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
So, SHL might be invaded by Danes for the upcoming season. At this point there are two Danes playing regularly in the best Swedish league, but a number of players have the possibility to qualify for the next season.

First and foremost we have some spiring young talent in clubs that are already there. We have Kristian Jensen in Luleå who have had his debut this season and then we have Thomas Lillie who have been called up a couple of times in Växjö, but have yet to start between the pipes. Both players are expected to get closer to a starting spot in the season to come.

Then we have a very interesting scenario in the Hockeyallsvenskan, the second best tier in Sweden. Especially interesting is it because that SHL expands from 12 to 14 clubs next season. At this point George Galbraith is leading comftable with his Karlskrona with one round in regular season to go. Number one and two plays each other in best of 5 for a direct promotion for SHL. Next there is Malmö with Frederik Storm, which by the way is one of the most important players on the team and is to be considered to move to SHL even if Malmö doesnt qualify by themselves. The same goes for Jesper Jensen in Rögle, whom is rumoured to Frölunda right now.

Then we have a long shot with Oskarshamn who needs to win their last game tomorrow for having a chance to qualify for the playoffs. Oskarshamn currently have the Poulsen brothers and Emil Kristensen in their stable. Anbd finally Felix Schell is playing in Björklöven.

Buttom line, a very interesting time is up if you look at it with Danish glasses. In a month or so, we might have as many as 7 new SHL players of for the next season. Now that is called progress.

Good thread!
It off course depends on the Allsvenskan teams not upgrading their roster extensively.
[Will Galbraith for instance still be first keeper if Karlskrona makes it?].
I would think the way Frederik Storm and Jesper Jensen have played this year, they are very likely whether their Allsvenskan team moves up or not. If not SHL teams would likely go for them.
Jesper B Jensen and Nichlas Hardt are likely to stay with their clubs (though it seems from his production, that Hardt's playing style fits much more for Finnish hockey than Swedish).

So with cautious optimism it looks like 4 and that is still very good.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
What players in danish league could play in Allsvenskan?

Lykkeskov, Grønvaldt and Karvinen looks good on paper.

Last edited:

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen

Are you a pessimist who doesn't believe Malmö will gain promotion? Or are you an optimist who believes IK Pantern will gain promotion? :)

I don't know if I can give you specific names, but if you take the top import players and weed out the ones with average or worse skating, then I believe most of them could do well in Allsvenskan.

I don't think any of the ones you mention would be a good fit. Karvinen had a good season with Kristianstad in Div. 1 a couple of years back, but he can be quite inconsistent. Grønvaldt is a bit too error prone for my liking and Lykkeskov is probably better suited for DEL (or DEL2).

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen

I think that Swedish and German club basically have vacuumed the Danish league for obvious contenders.

Home from 4 years in DEL Daniel Nielsen should be the most obvious, not worsened after a year as the highest d-man production in the Danish league.
Mads Bødker has played in Allsvenskan and SEL before, so he should also be able to go back without any problems.
Sebastian Damn maybe had his best season so far in goal for Rødovre. So we already have Galbraith there, so Dahm could as well IMO.
Then you think that Thomas Spelling should have the talent for at least playing Allsvenskan (as he was drafted), but last time for Rögle in SEL was not a success. Now he is older, so maybe?

So these four are perhaps the most obvious ones. The three you mention are possible, but more risky.
Lykkeskov has always been a great point producer in SønderjydskE, but will it continue with a club change?; Grønvaldt has been improving year by year, so perhaps he is getting ready, or will be next year? and Karvinen almost always produces well without any import help in Rødovre.

Then last year I would definitely also have said Lasse Lassen, but the club change from Herning to Frederikshavn this season gave him a significant production cut. So also in the risky category.
Rasmus Nielsen has NT routine and might soon to ready from the jump from Danish league to something bigger?

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen

The biggest talents are already playing in Sweden at a very young age, so there is not much left in Denmark that is considered top talent.

I think there is 11 or 12 Danes in the SuperElit and even more in the ranks below. Malmö and Rögle have had their fair share of danish prospects the last ten years.

I dont know the Danish league well enough to give you any specific names, but as Andersej said, I guess most of them could play at that level if we take out the scrubs.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Karlskrona and Patrick Galbraith is ready for SHL next season. That was one. Another three Danes possible for SHL.

Robin Hood

Aug 28, 2007
Copenhagen
This is really positive news for the national team. The North Americans draw a lot of focus of course, but the way forward is really to expand the depth of this team. The Frans' and Bødkers on the top lines have never been the issue, but we have never been able to count on them because of the playoffs in NA. Having 12 capable forwards that see high level competition on a nightly basis is so important. The fact that we can now stack even the fourth offensive line with players from top leagues of Europe is extremely encouraging. To be honest, ideally there shouldn't be room for players from the Danish league on the roster, and if things continue to move in this positive direction pretty soon players that play abroad and that we have seen in the national team for many years will have to start competing hard for a spot.

Morten

May 24, 2014
Unfortunately Jesper B Jensen is now history in Karlstad, so down to 2 players in SHL once more.

I thought Jesper Jensen was heading to Frölunda? atleast thats the rumors I've heard

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
I thought Jesper Jensen was heading to Frölunda? atleast thats the rumors I've heard

Maybe. I havent heard anything on that rumour for a while. However, there are two Jesper Jensen. The one in Rögle, which this rumour was about and Jesper B Jensen, who have played in Färjestad this season.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Tonight the last game was played and the results are as follows:

Promoted to SHL next season was Malmö, Karlskrona and Rögle. It means that Frederik Storm, Jesper Jensen, Patrick Galbraith and Mads Larsen are now all SHL players.

What remains to be seen is whether or not they are in their clubs next year. I suspect that at least Malmö will invest in new players. It will probably mean that Mads Larsen is not in the ideal line up, but lets see.

I want to see Regin in Malmö next year. The bigger ice will suit him well.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Tonight the last game was played and the results are as follows:

Promoted to SHL next season was Malmö, Karlskrona and Rögle. It means that Frederik Storm, Jesper Jensen, Patrick Galbraith and Mads Larsen are now all SHL players.

What remains to be seen is whether or not they are in their clubs next year. I suspect that at least Malmö will invest in new players. It will probably mean that Mads Larsen is not in the ideal line up, but lets see.

I want to see Regin in Malmö next year. The bigger ice will suit him well.

Great news!:handclap::yo:
Even if there are a few changes, we will have the most players in the SHL in a long time.

Would be great to see Regin in the SHL next year. Too bad Timrå doesn't play in the SHL anymore. Could be a little cool with a comeback

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Great news!:handclap::yo:
Even if there are a few changes, we will have the most players in the SHL in a long time.

Would be great to see Regin in the SHL next year. Too bad Timrå doesn't play in the SHL anymore. Could be a little cool with a comeback

Saw an interview with the GM of Malmö right after the game on Viasat Hockey. He said he had been talking to Frans Nielsen about a comeback in the distant future. Maybe in a couple of years. That would certainly be a major scoop if that happened however I am not sure Frans is going back to Malmö in another three or four years.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Saw an interview with the GM of Malmö right after the game on Viasat Hockey. He said he had been talking to Frans Nielsen about a comeback in the distant future. Maybe in a couple of years. That would certainly be a major scoop if that happened however I am not sure Frans is going back to Malmö in another three or four years.

Frans contract expires after the next season, I could see him extending for another 3 or 4 years with the Islanders. Would be insanity to leave just as the team is becoming competitive. But after that I could see him going to Sweden, but it of course all depends on what level he's playing at then.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Have high expectations for that kid if he avoids the injuries. Probably the best blue line prospect of Denmark ever.

I'd probably have him behind Philip Larsen and maybe Jesper Duus - although it's been a while since he was labeled a prospect. :) But, an interesting prospect nonetheless.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
The Danish invasion of SHL continues. Funny how it comes in waves. 5 Danes confirmed now and two juniors who have had a taste of it last season. Plus Jesper D Jensen who will have to find a new club. Our depth is better than ever.

Yeah it looks really promising after the recent slump.
Wondering if Jesper “B“ Jensen will go back to Røgle as well after his season in Färjestad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->