Danbury and the DIA

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Any Fed team there is going to face the same high Workmans comp insurance in CT that sunk the Danbury Titans. They drew just under 2,000 people per game and they still went under.

I saw somewhere the NAHL almost went to Danbury until ownership fell apart last summer. The city is known to be very blue collar, old time hockey fans, and pretty much perfect for the Fed. Not sure the NAHL, which has done a 180 over the past decade and is now a very good skill league, would match that market as well as the Fed.

Last edited:

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
With Herm Sorcher in the mix, who's to say he & his new business partners aren't planning to use Danbury as the anchor franchise for another ill-fated northeastern-based pro hockey league to compete for territory with the FHL? :popcorn:

Reactions: sabremike

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Are the Worker's Compensation rates extraordinarily high in Ct? Was that really the reason why the team was unsustainable? The FHL seems to have a workable model if the team can put at least 1000 or more fans per game in their building's. Again it comes down to lease agreements and other sustaining revenue sources. Why in the world would a wealthy state like Connecticut have such high costs? Connecticut has among the most high income earners and wealth per capita. Gotta love the business and income killing high tax states. While the FHL isnt major league it definitely creates some jobs, spinoff business, and provides intangible cultural entertainment opportunities.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Are the Worker's Compensation rates extraordinarily high in Ct? Was that really the reason why the team was unsustainable? The FHL seems to have a workable model if the team can put at least 1000 or more fans per game in their building's. Again it comes down to lease agreements and other sustaining revenue sources. Why in the world would a wealthy state like Connecticut have such high costs? Connecticut has among the most high income earners and wealth per capita. Gotta love the business and income killing high tax states. While the FHL isnt major league it definitely creates some jobs, spinoff business, and provides intangible cultural entertainment opportunities.

Workman's Comp in CT is high. Regardless of who is at fault for injury, all of the player's medical and rehab bills are paid by the team in addition to lost wages and then some. Knowing how the Fed is, those are going to pile up early and often. Then there are the premiums, which alone probably add up to around $100,000 seasonally.

Connecticut has many high income earners, but it's all concentrated in the Gold Coast for the NYC commuters and a few Hartford suburbs. Hartford, New Haven, and Bridgeport each have around a quarter of their populations below the poverty line and the state is overwhelmingly lower middle class. I don't know why Workman's Comp is so high, Corrupticat historically doesn't make smart decisions. Adding state income tax, building the Rent, erecting Mt. Trashmore, continuously electing corrupt politicians from both parties, and the rest reads like fiction.

Adding a Fed team to Danbury will create almost no jobs and add marginal spinoff business. A lot of people in Fed organizations have second jobs. Both previous Danbury teams relied on unpaid volunteer game day staff, I'm pretty sure most Fed teams do as well. The downtown restaurants around the arena will get a noticeable jump on game nights. But, the team won't benefit the city that much, outside of them being able to say they have pro hockey.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Workman's Comp in CT is high. Regardless of who is at fault for injury, all of the player's medical and rehab bills are paid by the team in addition to lost wages and then some. Knowing how the Fed is, those are going to pile up early and often. Then there are the premiums, which alone probably add up to around $100,000 seasonally.

Connecticut has many high income earners, but it's all concentrated in the Gold Coast for the NYC commuters and a few Hartford suburbs. Hartford, New Haven, and Bridgeport each have around a quarter of their populations below the poverty line and the state is overwhelmingly lower middle class. I don't know why Workman's Comp is so high, Corrupticat historically doesn't make smart decisions. Adding state income tax, building the Rent, erecting Mt. Trashmore, continuously electing corrupt politicians from both parties, and the rest reads like fiction.

Adding a Fed team to Danbury will create almost no jobs and add marginal spinoff business. A lot of people in Fed organizations have second jobs. Both previous Danbury teams relied on unpaid volunteer game day staff, I'm pretty sure most Fed teams do as well. The downtown restaurants around the arena will get a noticeable jump on game nights. But, the team won't benefit the city that much, outside of them being able to say they have pro hockey.

Well when you pay an entire roster plus front office staff you are in fact employing a number of people. It may be seasonal and part time but definitely paying and employing some people. The FHL is poised to grow, there is no doubt. If it can avoid matters which risk liability it will continue to grow. Elmira, Winston Salem, Watertown, and perhaps Danbury will will help further the slow gradual growth we have seen. I can say for certain 2000 plus fans in Downtown Elmira on game nights has been huge for the struggling city.

Reactions: sabremike

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Well when you pay an entire roster plus front office staff you are in fact employing a number of people. It may be seasonal and part time but definitely paying and employing some people. The FHL is poised to grow, there is no doubt. If it can avoid matters which risk liability it will continue to grow. Elmira, Winston Salem, Watertown, and perhaps Danbury will will help further the slow gradual growth we have seen. I can say for certain 2000 plus fans in Downtown Elmira on game nights has been huge for the struggling city.

The teams employs some people, yes, but it's negligible. The $4,000 dollars or so the 20 man roster splits up weekly is nothing. Most Fed teams have 5 or so paid staff. They're not making much, if any, more than the players. They have an army of volunteers that make up game day staff like every other Fed team, but they're not making a dime. No more than 25-30 people max will ever see a paycheck from the team. Danbury's got north of 80,000 people within the city limits. They won't feel economic benefits from 25 people each making a few hundred bucks a month for half the year.

I've only been to Danbury twice, so I can't personally vouch for the positive economic effects hockey had on the downtown restaurants. But just looking at some news articles online shows that Danbury's one of the few places in the state that is doing well with the economy and job growth. Danbury hosts a good number of town and regional events year-round, in addition to the attention Western Connecticut State draws. It doesn't exactly look like it's in dire need of something to draw in business.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Boys, and ladies ;) at the end of the day, or night lol its about everyone being a part of the game. From the players making some bucks playing the game they love, the front office employees working their butts off wearing a million hats for a few bucks, and to the hockey loving fans having to likewise spend a few bucks to enjoy the games and a night out that won't break the bank its all a good thing.

I am a believer that the FHL and SPHL have their place. So far those that complain or mock it are those who aren't even in FHL markets and likewise have a higher level alternative. Me personally would be grateful for the opportunity to support the product if that is all I had. I myself like the "bush league" appeal. The AHL and to some degree the ECHL have become very predictable on their journey to NHL development.

With that said I dont want to see players, officials, or fans injured nor do I want to see an unorganized circus either. Nothing wrong with good old garden variety minor professional league hockey. The likes of the old Clinton Comets, Broome Dusters, Fitchburg Trappers, Long Island Ducks, and Virginia Lancers all a part of good old fashioned minor league hockey. Hockey unbridled with the good affordable seats, beer that costs less then $6, men playing the game void of organizational systems, where individual performance is encouraged and guys trying to win the night and not a roster spot in the NHL by tomorrow night. How many AHL games over the years I have sat through and thought to myself that the team is just going through the motions? I watched players who could have tied the game or scored insurance goals late in the third period sit the bench so new jacks could get ice time, ultimately to watch the game slip away due to organizational coaching decisions made by the brass in the NHL. I salute the players, team staff, and the good fans of the game at this level, hats of to ya ;)

Last edited:

chief fan

Mar 24, 2019
wow the players are probably not even clearing 200 dollars after taxes you definitely would have to hold down another job playing in that league even if they are paying for housing...early days of echl were making that 3o yrs ago

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
wow the players are probably not even clearing 200 dollars after taxes you definitely would have to hold down another job playing in that league even if they are paying for housing...early days of echl were making that 3o yrs ago

Just about everyone has a second job. Each team usually has one or two guys that get paid decent enough they might not have to, but that just means more guys are going to be at the league minimum. Low level minor league baseball faces similar issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->