Dan Sallows Mock Draft

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
How the hell was Viktor Hedman at 2nd overall "draft for need"? He was the total consensus pick for that position, no matter which team had held the pick. Hickey was a classic example of a BPA pick, and also of how unpredictable that can be. The Kings drafted him because they really loved him as a player, not because they really lacked a small, skilled defenseman. As far as I can recall, Klesla was hardly much of a surprise - and what exactly was the acute team need Tampa Bay had to fill by drafting Svitov? That third offensive center every good team needs?

The goalies I'll grant, and goalies are indeed a general exception. Much more difficult to rate against skaters than skaters are to rate against each other. Also, there seems to be more pronouncedly different general philosophies as to how high you're prepared to draft them.

Matt Duchesne was above Hedman on almost every list come draft time. Tampa needed a D.

Hickey had nothing to do with BPA. There was 1 list that had him above the 3rd best D. LA decided that they needed a D and decided to go with their highest ranked D.

Svitov was drafted to be a 2/3 center with grit. Richards was only a rookie and they weren't sure if he'd be a center or winger.

HemskyToHall*

Matt Duchesne was above Hedman on almost every list come draft time. Tampa needed a D.

Hickey had nothing to do with BPA. There was 1 list that had him above the 3rd best D. LA decided that they needed a D and decided to go with their highest ranked D.

Svitov was drafted to be a 2/3 center with grit. Richards was only a rookie and they weren't sure if he'd be a center or winger.

No he wasn't. :help:

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009

Man, that's clueless. Hedman was the consensus Nr. 2 - some were speculating that Duchene could break into the top 2, but it would have been a big surprise if he did. It doesn't matter **** how many lists Hickey was on - he was LA's BPA. Show me one statement that even vaguely indicates LA considered him the best defenseman available, but not the best player. And while you're at it, show me the better player TB passed over (and considered the better player) because they wanted Svitov's particular package.

4Isles4*

interesting picks.....I would rather the isles take Landeskog over S.C.....I also have this feeling in my gut that Zack Phillips is gonna be a heck of a hockey player in the NHL

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Great insight! I always like the stuff that Dan puts out their. I think he is a very good scout and people who are saying that his opinion is way off need to do some more scouting.

Just because someones opinion isn't the consensus doesn't mean that they are out to lunch!

I don't agree with all the selections (particularly because he tried to go on need rather than his own list).but all and all a very good list!!

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

The first overall pick would go to the dreadful 12-29-2 New Jersey Devils, who could use just about everything seeing how there is a good chance they will lose restricted free agent Zach Parise this summer. The long time guaranteed playoff bound Devils may just be feeling the effects of numerous successful seasons followed by late picks in the draft, an aging goaltender in Martin Brodeur, and of course a salary cap stranglehold brought on by the Ilya Kovalchuk signing.

This is like a bad HFBoards post.

LOL... spot on.

I stopped reading after the first line. The only reason we lose Parise is if he tells Lou to move him or he wants a one year deal this summer. If it's cap space that get's everyone so excited about landing Parise, we have Arnott at 4.5M$ and Hedberg at 1.5M$ who's coming off the books wich leaves plenty of cap room to resign Parise.

P.S. I do agree with him on us drafting Larsson ;)

GDU

Dec 19, 2008
Thanks, Mr. Tambellini... it's great to know that the Edmonton Oilers' general manager is taking the time to post on "Hockey's Future."

:sarcasm:

u don't have to be a genius to figure out that the oilers would not bypass two more obviously talented players just because they might have a need on defense (which isnt quite as bad as everyone thinks since they drafted maricin and have petry)

it's pretty funny that anyone would actually attempt to defend the idea that the oilers draft murphy with the 3rd pick

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
u don't have to be a genius to figure out that the oilers would not bypass two more obviously talented players just because they might have a need on defense (which isnt quite as bad as everyone thinks since they drafted maricin and have petry)

it's pretty funny that anyone would actually attempt to defend the idea that the oilers draft murphy with the 3rd pick

Yeah because the worst powerplay in the leauge couldn't use a powerplay quarterback like Murphy.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
There is no way that Edm is going to draft Murphy, wake up what are you smoking, talk about going off the board in the top 5.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009

That's quite an odd way of stating your case. "More obviously talented"??? Maybe you meant more obviously large? Or in the case of RNH vs Murphy "more obviously a smallish forward is a less risky pick than a small d-man"??? It's arguable that Murphy is the most "obviously talented" player in this draft.

Anyone defending the idea of the Oilers taking Murphy obviously thinks that his talent will translate very well at the NHL level- can't see anything funny about that myself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->