Dan Quinn, Doug Lidster and Trevor Linden, 1990/1991 Canucks captains

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Probably to pump up Dan Quinn's trade value due to leadership-ish intangibles.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
not overburden the kiddo too much?

no idea why dan quinn though, pat quinn later insisted st louis take him in the butcher trade just to keep him away from linden. edler’s (sarcastic?) guess is as good as any.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
not overburden the kiddo too much?

no idea why dan quinn though, pat quinn later insisted st louis take him in the butcher trade just to keep him away from linden. edler’s (sarcastic?) guess is as good as any.

Six months later, St.Louis GM Ron Caron insisted that Philadelphia take Quinn in the Brind'Amour trade. Supposedly because of Quinn's high salary, which is hilarious since St. Louis was seemingly offer sheeting every RFA. The Flyers took Quinn since they coveted Brind'Amour and let Quinn walk at the end of the season.

Regarding the three captain situation, I can understand that Bob McCammon wanted to ease Linden into the role. Linden was still only 20 and Lidster, I believe, was the second longest tenured Canuck at the time. For the third captain, if Smyl didn't want the C again, someone like Greg Adams would have been better than Quinn.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
weird, i always thought it was up for grabs bc smyl retired but the changeover happened during his last season.

imo the obvious third captain would have ben garth butcher.

77EBD9A4-DF24-4535-9A8B-9B1C99C6A1E2.jpeg

he’d worn an a in vancouver before and he became st louis’ captain after scott stevens went to nj.

171A92BE-0996-4F16-81FA-93DDB52BECC5.jpeg

if they were feeling especially saucy then larionov but i don’t think the team was ready for that yet.

CB41EDA5-745F-414A-9161-2AD54B6A845C.jpeg

too many hosers still left to be cleaned out.

2C6A8323-C298-4C75-BCC6-FB38760B0798.jpeg

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
Smyl gave up the C because at first they weren't even sure he was going to be playing the season because of his injuries. He probably should have just retired at that point, he was brutally painful to watch in his last season, he had completely lost his wheels & really wasn't an effective player anymore on any level. At the start of the season, they announced rotating captains - Linden & Lidster made complete sense, but Quinn was a head-scratcher, I couldn't figure what it was about him that warranted it. I was surprised that McCammon thought of him as a leader or "character player" - I certainly never got that impression.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad