dan haimus or brad stuart

Status
Not open for further replies.

AG9NK35DT8*

i know hamaius is still new but if he turns out to be what he suspected to be who will any team be better off with. i know stuart has already 3 years or so nhl expierience but put them both at there highs in there career, who would u take ???

i would take haimus.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Moskau said:
He's more overrated compared to fellow Dmen in his draft class.

When you compare him to the fellow defensemen of his draft class, you see that he is head and shoulders above them, and yet his name is rarely mentioned.

whoshouse

Aug 13, 2004
Stuart. He led the Sharks defense last year deep into the playoffs. This year (if there is a season) he will breakout.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Stuart has the potential to be in that rare class of defensemen if he can get over the mistakes and poor decisions he makes. That usually corrects itself with time. Hamhuis I see as a very good no. 2 that could be mistaken for a no. 1.

For now and the future...give me Stuart.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
PhoPhan said:
When you compare him to the fellow defensemen of his draft class, you see that he is head and shoulders above them, and yet his name is rarely mentioned.

I think head and shoulder may be a stretch. 1998 also featured now established NHLers Vitaly Vishnevsky, Martin Skoula, Dmitri Kalinin, Robyn Regehr, Jiri Fischer, Ossi Vaananen, Jaroslav Spacek, Andrei Markov and Karlis Skrastins as well others like Bryan Allen, Mathieu Biron, Christian Backman, Mike Van Ryn, Jonathan Girard, Tomas Kloucek and Jim Fahey.
While, I'm not here to debate one player versus another, I think there are players in those listed who are equal to (or at least just a slight notche below) Stuart.

However, in terms of the question, I would chose Brad Stuart over Hamhuis.

degroat*

I'd say that Brad Stuart is easily better than each of those players. But, when his own team's fans underrate him I could see why people would think those players are close to his level.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Stich said:
I'd say that Brad Stuart is easily better than each of those players. But, when his own team's fans underrate him I could see why people would think those players are close to his level.
Sorry but I'd take Kalinin and Regehr over him. I'd maybe even take Markov as well.

Testify

Jun 24, 2004
can anyone tell me what kind of player is Kloucek and also his chance of playing this year in Atlanta. what about his future?

thx :)

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Moskau said:
Sorry but I'd take Kalinin and Regehr over him. I'd maybe even take Markov as well.

I'm one of Kalinin's biggest fan but he doesn't cut it. Stuart is way more talented.

Markov? Again, a player I just love but that's ridiculous. Stuart is as talented offensively and in another dimension physically. Stuart can throw wicked hits and is a much stronger player. He's going to be an elite two-way before long.

One of the problem with Stuart is that he has been bothered with injuries in the recent past butt he will overcome that and become one of the league's best. He could change roles later in his career but to me right now he looks closer to a young Scott Stevens than anyone else I have ever seen.

I could see how some people could think Regehr is a more valuable player but I wouldn't hesitate a second to pick Regehr before him. I see a gap in talent between the two but I can agree to disagree on this one. The other two just don't make sense, however.

chris39bong

forbesy said:
I think head and shoulder may be a stretch. 1998 also featured now established NHLers Vitaly Vishnevsky, Martin Skoula, Dmitri Kalinin, Robyn Regehr, Jiri Fischer, Ossi Vaananen, Jaroslav Spacek, Andrei Markov and Karlis Skrastins as well others like Bryan Allen, Mathieu Biron, Christian Backman, Mike Van Ryn, Jonathan Girard, Tomas Kloucek and Jim Fahey.
While, I'm not here to debate one player versus another, I think there are players in those listed who are equal to (or at least just a slight notche below) Stuart.

However, in terms of the question, I would chose Brad Stuart over Hamhuis.

Some of the guys you mentioned are or will become good NHLers, others are a joke compared to Stuart, and the only one of them Stuart is not head and shoulders above is Regehr. Regehr is and always will be better defensively, but Stuart is and always will be better offensively. Take your pick at who you'd rather have right now. The main difference between the two guys is where their game will be a few years from now? Guys like Regehr and Hannan have developed ahead of schedual and have just about reached their ceiling. Guys like Stuart and Fischer have been slower to develope (partially due to injuries) and who are still making big strides in their game to reach their full potential.

In response to the original question: Stuart should become an average #1 d-man, with a decent shot of developing into an elite defenseman. Hamhuis should turn out to be more of a strong #2. No questions here, Stuart should be your guy.

AG9NK35DT8*

Testify said:
can anyone tell me what kind of player is Kloucek and also his chance of playing this year in Atlanta. what about his future?

thx :)
when with nyr the kid was a frieght train can run down anything , throws his body around ike no tommorow. but was never given a fair shot in ny, like usual and i think with some injuries and not getting time hurt his confidence plenty, who knows what the hell he is like now

PredsFan77*

AG9NK35DT8 said:
when with nyr the kid was a frieght train can run down anything , throws his body around ike no tommorow. but was never given a fair shot in ny, like usual and i think with some injuries and not getting time hurt his confidence plenty, who knows what the hell he is like now

The guy goes down more than a cheap hooker.

Muddy Wilbury

Flyers Fan in Ottawa
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, ON.
i have both guys on my keeper squad. :handclap:

2 years ago i traded blake for b.stuart and s.kapanen (could have had g.murray...d'oh!!)
drafted hamhuis 2 years ago. (i'd be happy w/ another 25-30 pnts. this year)

as for the stu vs. ham question? i think 90% of people would take stuart.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Vlad The Impaler said:
I'm one of Kalinin's biggest fan but he doesn't cut it. Stuart is way more talented.

Markov? Again, a player I just love but that's ridiculous. Stuart is as talented offensively and in another dimension physically. Stuart can throw wicked hits and is a much stronger player. He's going to be an elite two-way before long.

One of the problem with Stuart is that he has been bothered with injuries in the recent past butt he will overcome that and become one of the league's best. He could change roles later in his career but to me right now he looks closer to a young Scott Stevens than anyone else I have ever seen.

I could see how some people could think Regehr is a more valuable player but I wouldn't hesitate a second to pick Regehr before him. I see a gap in talent between the two but I can agree to disagree on this one. The other two just don't make sense, however.

I think you're just basing your comments from the great playoffs.

Whenever I watch Stuart in the regular season, he is soft as butter. Does he hit? Sure, but if he hit a guy and that guy wanted to get him back, Stuart seemed to become scared... Hell, after Stuart got jumped by Jody Shelley he has yet to shed the gloves in a real fight.

Scott Stevens? Uhh, Scott Stevens intimidates players. Stuart does not.

I think Kalinin and Stuart are closer together than people here will ever say, at least not until Kalinin has a good playoff run and then he will god around here. Markov certainly less, but he had a "bad" last year. Markov did score 13 goals 2 years ago, which is 3 more than the 10 Stuart has ever scored. 10 is also the number Kalinin scored last year, 1 more than Stuart had. Kalinin had a better S% and 4 more GWG than Stuart as well. Now I know you said talent so don't start ragging on me about that.

Kalinin is almost 2 inches taller than Stuart. Maybe hasn't shown a benefit yet, but if Kalinin is coming around with hitting more. I think Zhitnik's continous pinching has made him cautious to hit alot.

Stuart developed faster than Kalinin, there's no denying that. But Kalinin is catching up, I'd say he's right there with Stuart even. You can't really blame Kalinin either, just look at Buffalo. Lindy Ruff and even Ted Nolan's track record of getting young players to develop is/was horendous. Just look at our top 2 squads, how many were drafted by Buffalo? Kalinin is the only one.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Moskau said:

Whenever I watch Stuart in the regular season, he is soft as butter. Does he hit? Sure, but if he hit a guy and that guy wanted to get him back, Stuart seemed to become scared... Hell, after Stuart got jumped by Jody Shelley he has yet to shed the gloves in a real fight.

I think Kalinin and Stuart are closer together than people here will ever say, at least not until Kalinin has a good playoff run and then he will god around here. Markov certainly less, but he had a "bad" last year. Markov did score 13 goals 2 years ago, which is 3 more than the 10 Stuart has ever scored. 10 is also the number Kalinin scored last year, 1 more than Stuart had. Kalinin had a better S% and 4 more GWG than Stuart as well. Now I know you said talent so don't start ragging on me about that.

Kalinin is almost 2 inches taller than Stuart. Maybe hasn't shown a benefit yet, but if Kalinin is coming around with hitting more. I think Zhitnik's continous pinching has made him cautious to hit alot.

Stuart developed faster than Kalinin, there's no denying that. But Kalinin is catching up, I'd say he's right there with Stuart even. You can't really blame Kalinin either, just look at Buffalo. Lindy Ruff and even Ted Nolan's track record of getting young players to develop is/was horendous. Just look at our top 2 squads, how many were drafted by Buffalo? Kalinin is the only one.

Goodness...talk about improperly slamming a guy just to hype up yer guy. Give Stuart some credit here. Soft? Granted, he wasn't the toughest guy when he first came into the league and he won't every be Grimson menacing but Stuey is the meanest Sharks defenseman they have...a group which includes McLaren n Davison. What you forgot to mention about the Shelley incident is that he was hit from behind and then mauled where he suffered a concussion (one of the reasons why they picked up Parker in the offseason). So of course he wasn't overly physical at the beginning of last year but as the season progressed he got meaner and meaner...of course he's not Scott Steven's intimidating...he's only 24...but he's gettin there.

Stuart didn't have a very good postseason if ya asked me...he made plenty of mistakes so I'm not sure where the "great playoffs" comes from. I do agree that Kalinin and Stuart are alot closer than people think just not as close as you think it is. Dmitri has two inches on Stuart...so what? Mathieu Biron has 4 inches on him...whats the point if the guy wont hit. Stuart can and will and he does it well.

Let me say that I love Kalinin, you got a good one on yer hands but I sense his upside is that of a good number 2 defenseman. Stuart, I have always believed, can reach that level that very few defensemen can call themselves...a true No. 1 defenseman. Really if you had your choice...would you take Kalinin over Stuart? I can see how you would have to stop and think about it but eventually...Stuart's package is much more enticing.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Moskau said:

I'm basing my comments on Stuart's overall career, not on the last playoffs. I've seen him cream guys with very smooth, sneaky hits.

I think your comments are based too much on the injury-plagued Stuart. It is true that he has had a very bad stretch, IMO.

Moskau said:

But then again, I said a young Scott Stevens. They are very similar from what I can remember of Stevens when he was younger and he has every tools Stevens has. Same ability to change gear backward and crunch a guy open ice, very good offense (obviously we're talking about different eras) just like Stevens. He is a smart player, very well built and has absolutely all the tools.

It's too bad he had bad breaks but with some luck on his side, he will have an amazing career. I really like Kalinin as well, but he just doesn't do things as easily, and is not going to be as efficient at anything.

Markov and Stuart are very close offensively. 3 more goals for Markov won't change my opinion much, I know what Markov can do and he is a real wizard. His creativity cannot be matched by Stuart. But Brad keeps things simple and it works greatly. Markov is already being forced to change his style and is suffering as a result. I'm not saying he's a bum or anything. He's one of my favorite young Ds but he is not well-rounded.

Markov still has a greater potential *offensively* than Stuart, though. That I can agree. I'm just not sure he will realize it. If he does, the pucks could really fly Gonchar-style.

dumpnchase

Apr 24, 2004
California
Stuart's overall game is better compared with Blake, can hit and has very good offense including a top notch shot.

Moskau watch Stuart play before you make comments about, don't just base it on what you read online. Out of every young defenseman mentioned in this page only Stuart could ever be an elite defenseman. He is a very very very good hitter, he was shying away from it early in the season but as the season went on he started hitting once again.

Like mentioned above that Shelly hit was just like the cheap shot taken on Beukeboom. And was one of the dirtiest things I have seen in hockey.

Even though he makes mistakes, but he doesn't make as many as some claim.

Stuart for me.

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Though Stuart is not a prospect and Hamuis just broke into the league, which makes it harder to compare, i'd still say Stuart is better, but nothing against Hamuis he is also and going to be a greta d-man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->