Dan Girardi

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
With Timonen most likely to retire this year the Flyers will free up 6mil in salary cap, could going after Girardi be good for the Flyers blueline? I don't see any other Dman on the Flyers roster that comes close to Timonen's skill over the years unless we trade or pick up someone, someone like a Girardi maybe? Girardi is 29yrs old and presently making 3.4mil a year, Flyers could sign him for 3 or 4 years around 5mil a year.
What do you guys think?

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Like with any dman that hits the open market these days, we'd most likely be overpaying for a LOT. And while Girardi is probably better than any of our 'stay at home' guys, that's just what he is. A shutdown defensemen, which we already have a few of. So for those two reasons, I hope we pass.

You have to think that Holmgren is going to do everything he can to upgrade the D though, especially with Kimmo leaving.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
He's closer to Coburn than he is Kimmo. I'd want someone who brings a little more offense from the back-end to replace Kimmo but of course that's a lot easier said than done as offensive d men are at a premium.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
If my impressions of Girardi are right, he's more like Coburn then Timonen (as very astutely mentioned prior to this) and he has a pretty limited offensive upside. He's more of a heavy minute logger and skater a la Coburn.

Defensive D (though I wouldn't describe Girardi that way to be exact) have limited value because they're purely defensive. We need more potent two-way D like Kimmo is and always has been with us. Aside from Kimmo we don't really have anyone I'd describe as a potent two-way D. Closest thing we have to that after Timonen is probably Coburn, but even he doesn't have offensive upside anymore really.

kjbhockey

May 12, 2013
We have enough players like Girardi. I'm in favor of trying to get Buff out of Win. He's a big body, brings offense, and IMO is underrated. I know his plus/minus is bad but I think that is a byproduct of chewing (non pun intended) up big minutes with a suspect goaltending tandem.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Signing Dan Girardi would make Coburn expendable, and Girardi gives you a little more offensive production as well. He is slower than Coburn, but he is a great defenseman. #2 on our team if we were to sign him and Kimmo plays another.

7 years-38-44 million I could see him getting on the open market. Edmonton might offer more.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I think, given the paucity of dmen, that we need to make a plan now as an organization. I think that plan should be to have ghost, Gus, and alt be up for offense with striet and then have the rest be cobourn schenn and then sign giardi. Then morin will be in the following year with more offense and hopefully a great all around game. Hagg is in that mix as well.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'd rather go with Dan Boyle on a one year deal (even if it is more money). Girardi isn't a solution at all, so I'd rather not sink a ton of money and years into him. Get Boyle to replace Timonen, maybe grab someone cheap as UFA for the bottom pair and see how that goes for a year. By then maybe Haag or Morin is ready to crack the NHL, or maybe someone better than Girardi becomes available by trade or UFA/RFA.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
for as much as we get on Timonen around here, wait until he is gone and you will see just how much he will be missed. granted Holmgren is likely to go out and get someone to replace him, but that is easier said then done.
There is not one defenseman I trust more then Timonen on defense on this team right now.

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
He's closer to Coburn than he is Kimmo. I'd want someone who brings a little more offense from the back-end to replace Kimmo but of course that's a lot easier said than done as offensive d men are at a premium.

Me too but like you said they are at a premium. What kind of Dmen are the drafts Hagg and Morin? I did see Hagg play in the juniors and I was impressed and they did say he has great offensive skills. These two are probably a couple of years away from the NHL though. Cody Franson has looked good at times but he's a RFA which is always a trade and the past history of trades with Leafs have left Homer shellshocked I would imagine.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
No thanks, not interested. Too similar to what he already have and his contract will not be cheap either.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
You're not getting Girardi for anything less than 6 years. I could also see a team throwing 6+ million a year at him.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
He's better than what we currently have right now, but his skill set is so similar to what we already have that it doesn't really "fill a hole" per se. Acquiring a Girardi means you'll likely need to ship out one of Coburn, Grossmann or Schenn, because you shouldn't really be pairing one of them with him or them with each other.

He's the best defender on the market for sure and would help this team, but his skillset certainly isn't a substitute for Kimmo's.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
for as much as we get on Timonen around here, wait until he is gone and you will see just how much he will be missed. granted Holmgren is likely to go out and get someone to replace him, but that is easier said then done.
There is not one defenseman I trust more then Timonen on defense on this team right now.

I agree with all of this. He had a bad start to the year and looked really slow, taking bad penalties because he couldn't keep up. He's looked great since then though and has been a lot better about not getting caught in a foot race as often.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Sign Girardi for 7 years-39 million
Trade Coburn to Edmonton for 2015 first
Let Morin play next year along with Girardi
Have Kimmo back for one more, pair with Luke Schenn
Grossy and Gus

Morin-Girardi
Kimmo-Schenn
Gus-Grossmann

I don't like the look of that actually....

Might have to trade Grossmann if that were the case. Then we would probably have the highest paid defense in the league yet again.

Morin(925K)-Girardi(5.65 rounded)
Coburn(4.5)-Kimmo(5 million)
Gus(1.1)-Schenn(3.6)
Alt/Scrub

21 million actually isn't that bad for the top 6

EDIT!!!!

I Forgot Streit. He ruins everything.

Streit-Girardi
Coburn-Kimmo
Gus-Schenn
Alt

Ugh, do not want.

Last edited:

kjbhockey

May 12, 2013
There is a lot of Gus love around here. I'm an still not convinced that he'll ever be a regular NHLer. He's had several times this year to prove and he can't even beat out Mez who looks horrendous. I'd rather play Morin next year in that spot than Gus.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Sign Girardi for 7 years-39 million
Trade Coburn to Edmonton for 2015 first
Let Morin play next year along with Girardi
Have Kimmo back for one more, pair with Luke Schenn

Grossy and Gus

Morin-Girardi
Kimmo-Schenn
Gus-Grossmann

I don't like the look of that actually....

Might have to trade Grossmann if that were the case. Then we would probably have the highest paid defense in the league yet again.

Morin(925K)-Girardi(5.65 rounded)
Coburn(4.5)-Kimmo(5 million)
Gus(1.1)-Schenn(3.6)
Alt/Scrub

21 million actually isn't that bad for the top 6

EDIT!!!!

I Forgot Streit. He ruins everything.

Streit-Girardi
Coburn-Kimmo
Gus-Schenn
Alt

Ugh, do not want.

None of the 3 scenarios is plausible.

Edmonton wouldn't trade their very high 1st for Coburn.

Morin being rushed to the NHL will do no good for him or the team. He is a project that needs time to polish his game. He's probably the furthest away from the NHL as any of our dmen prospects are.

Kimmo has been on record saying this is his last season.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
There is a lot of Gus love around here. I'm an still not convinced that he'll ever be a regular NHLer. He's had several times this year to prove and he can't even beat out Mez who looks horrendous. I'd rather play Morin next year in that spot than Gus.

I'm right there with you on the abundance of unwarranted Gus love around here but I wouldn't pencil Morin in anywhere just yet. Unless something crazy happens, I don't think he even sniffs the lineup next year. I think at best he'll be a fringe guy in two years who maybe plays the first couple games before getting sent back and could potentially earn a spot during that time frame. I think realistically speaking, three years is when he will be a regular NHLer, and four years is when he will be an impact player.

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
If the Flyers get Girardi, then Grossmann and LSchenn need to go. Do not need so many defensive d-men with no offensive skills.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

Gus had been hurt for a couple of weeks and in that time Mez was pretty decent so there is little reason to shake things up right now. People still forget Gus has played in 63 NHL games. What is the most games he has played in a row? 7? 8? He hasnt been given the time or the chance to see what he can do.
I have beaten this topic into the ground along with a few others. there is a double standard with vets and the young kids. young kid makes a mistake(especially on defense) and hes banished to the pressbox or the AHL. If Mez or someone else blows ass and makes a mistake that cost the Flyers a game. send him right back out there.
Am I saying Gus is an allstar? of course not, but he has not been given any kind of chance to show anything. young kids need to play thru and learn from their mistakes. benching a young player every time he makes a mistake does not teach him anything.
Morin needs to spend time in junior hockey. let him grow and develop and play a ton of minutes.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
None of the 3 scenarios is plausible.

Edmonton wouldn't trade their very high 1st for Coburn.

Morin being rushed to the NHL will do no good for him or the team. He is a project that needs time to polish his game. He's probably the furthest away from the NHL as any of our dmen prospects are.

Kimmo has been on record saying this is his last season.

I know that aren't plausible. I was just having a little bit of fun, and I even forgot to put Striet on the roster at one time :laugh:

Morin isn't being rushed anywhere. He had a good camp and is playing very well down in the Q right now. Out of all of our big time d prospects he is by far the one who can step into an NHL lineup and give us valuable minutes. He is the closest not the furthest. He will have a legitimate chance next year I believe.

Kimmo has said he doesn't know, but he does think it's his last year. Am I thinking he returns? No really, but I wouldn't make it a guarantee.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
I know that aren't plausible. I was just having a little bit of fun, and I even forgot to put Striet on the roster at one time :laugh:

Morin isn't being rushed anywhere. He had a good camp and is playing very well down in the Q right now. Out of all of our big time d prospects he is by far the one who can step into an NHL lineup and give us valuable minutes. He is the closest not the furthest. He will have a legitimate chance next year I believe.

Kimmo has said he doesn't know, but he does think it's his last year. Am I thinking he returns? No really, but I wouldn't make it a guarantee.

Yeah, Morin is probably the closest to being able to contribute at the NHL level, but he's not as close to reaching his ceiling as a player, which is what I think more people are worried about. You have to keep him at the level best suited to developing his game right now, which is still probably the Q.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Not sure why there should be any worries about Morin right now. He is 18 years old and still filling out as a player. there are things he needs to work on sure, but it is best served if hes working on developing as a player in junior hockey where he can get a ton of minutes. leave him there next season as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad