Waived: Dan Cleary (cleared, assigned to GR - changes mind, going to GR)

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Hmmm... Mongo confused. I thought that the whole idea of signing Cleary after his rather inauspicious year last year was because he still wanted to play hockey. And, it should have been clear to him the rather slim odds of making the team with all the talented forwards we have. So, logic dictates that the chances of him plying his wares in Grand Rapids this year were great.

So, if he still thinks he can play, why refuse to report? Did he want Holland to waive Anderson, Ferraro, or another useful player instead of him? Did he expect Toronto or Philadelphia to claim him?

This is a horrible way for him to go out, you'd think he'd want better. Don't sign, retire with honor, or play on in GR, don't be petulant.

Houston Red Winger

Jun 1, 2008
Houston
Meh. I'll always respect Cleary for what he did while he was an effective player here. Glad he's finally made the right decision to hang 'em up, even if it was about 3 years longer than I could stand.

I agree. Cleary was a great role player for the Wings for several years, and I loved how he turned his life around (with the help of his level-headed wife). But he really should have retired about three years ago - I am sure Babcock would have found a good role for him in the organization, and I thought he would do well coaching younger players... But going out this way kind of burns all his bridges, I think - maybe Babcock will bring him into the Leafs organization.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm still not certain he's gone for good. But from the Holland quotes we've seen since that post, it really doesn't sound like they intend to bring him back. I hope that's accurate.

I like the way your opinion changed with the presentation of new information. :cheers:

So any word on what is going on with Danny now since he's refusing to report? Is this really it? 100%?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Does he come off the cap now? The man deserves every ounce of hate anyone has for him. He was a huge cornerstone of the "tie goes to veteran" and "get in and see what happens" wasted seasons era. That time period didn't bother some but other's like me would like to forget those seasons and every time he hits the news its a reminder.

He was part of the problem and overstayed his welcome. Guy provided a negative contribution on the ice for many seasons and was a roadblock for new development. It doesn't erase his success back in the day but it certainly washes out his reputation and legacy as a wing. Will never think positively of him as a player, I do wish him success and hope he stays on in some role with the team since his character seems to be something the players admire. But for crying out loud retire.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Does he come off the cap now? The man deserves every ounce of hate anyone has for him. He was a huge cornerstone of the "tie goes to veteran" and "get in and see what happens" wasted seasons era. That time period didn't bother some but other's like me would like to forget those seasons and every time he hits the news its a reminder.

He was part of the problem and overstayed his welcome. Guy provided a negative contribution on the ice for many seasons and was a roadblock for new development. It doesn't erase his success back in the day but it certainly washes out his reputation and legacy as a wing. Will never think positively of him as a player, I do wish him success and hope he stays on in some role with the team since his character seems to be something the players admire. But for crying out loud retire.

If you want to forget, then why keep participating in this thread?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
A lot of talk that he doesn't deserve the hate, he absolutely 100% does.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Awesome thanks I just wasn't sure if there was some circumstance with his age where his contract stayed on.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

100% does NOT.

Cleary is a player that "wants" to play hockey.

Its us as fans that have noticed that he is no longer in our top 23 players. Holland should have noticed the same.

His contract is 100% on Holland. He offered Cleary money to play hockey, all Cleary did was accept it.

If you have problems with Cleary... its basically problems with Holland.
I.E. WHO is on the roster.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
100% does NOT.

Its us as fans that have noticed that he is no longer in our top 23 players. Holland should have noticed the same.

His contract is 100% on Holland. He offered Cleary money to play hockey, all Cleary did was accept it.

Wants to play hockey but refused to report to Grand Rapids where he could... play hockey.

Yeah ok...

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010

Hey this is off topic but I'm putting together a hockey team. Would you like to join? You'll probably embarrass yourself because we will be playing against some of the best players in the world on international television. But if you show up and skate around a little I'll give you a million bucks. What do you say?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Why all the talk of having Cleary join the front office once his "whatever this season is" year is over?

The guy was a role player. A very good role player at times, but never within striking distance of anything resembling either a momentous career or a "hero of the people" persona.

Even before the last few years of financial shenanigans, I'd pay the bar tab for a guy like Draper or D Mac before I'd even say hello to Dan Cleary, so why would anybody be eager to keep him around? Broom him fast and don't look back.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Why all the talk of having Cleary join the front office once his "whatever this season is" year is over?

The guy was a role player. A very good role player at times, but never within striking distance of anything resembling either a momentous career or a "hero of the people" persona.

Even before the last few years of financial shenanigans, I'd pay the bar tab for a guy like Draper or D Mac before I'd even say hello to Dan Cleary, so why would anybody be eager to keep him around? Broom him fast and don't look back.

I want him gone forever. He can go work for Toronto.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

If he can handle a job off the ice, there's no reason not to give it to him provided we don't have someone else better already in line for it.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
This was a slow process in showing him the door. But he never got the hint.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If he can handle a job off the ice, there's no reason not to give it to him provided we don't have someone else better already in line for it.
I'm not suggesting that they shun a qualified candidate. I'm genuinely asking what evidence has management witnessed that might make Cleary a qualified candidate? I view his career as being very nondescript, with no real standout moments of leadership.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm not suggesting that they shun a qualified candidate. I'm genuinely asking what evidence has management witnessed that might make Cleary a qualified candidate? I view his career as being very nondescript, with no real standout moments of leadership.

He's a former first rounder who nearly lazied himself out of the NHL before getting his head on straight, working his butt off, and playing a hard, grinding game that took a huge toll on his body. I think he was definitely a leader on this team with his reputed work ethic, and how he upped his game in the playoffs. Though we weren't always happy he did it, he was willing to play through anything. He was a shell of his former self the last couple of seasons there, but since he joined the Wings he didn't take shortcuts on the ice.

I think his background gives him a good perspective on guys who maybe share his youthful ways, and what it takes to turn those guys around. And he definitely knows what it takes to sacrifice yourself to make a play. He wasn't as good for as long as a guy like Draper or Maltby, but he showcased similar intangibles. The rest is probably a lot of stuff we can't know about, such as how much of a student he is of the game and how well he communicates what he knows with others, etc.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
100% does NOT.

Holland shares the blame but that does not absolve Cleary. Sports is a business of entertainment and Cleary put the most boring and frustrating show on stage that could be seen in the NHL for several seasons. As a fan of the entertainment factor of the game one has every right to hate the man for continuing to deliver a train wreck to television screens across the world. As a fan of the team one has every right to hate the man for bringing a harmful negative contribution to the ice. Past success and Holland's contracts do nothing to erase that and the absurd saga of off season signings that he participated in ruined his legacy as a wing. That is compeltely on him.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
the amount of personal hate displayed by some posters in here is ridiculous

it's only a hockey game folks

When you pay your hard earned money to watch a game, you are paying for what is on the ice. I take it personal that Dan Cleary wanted to guzzle as much money as he could by overstaying his welcome when he probably knew these 20 year old kids were far superior. He got a million dollars to play less than 20 games. That's more than heart surgeons make that save lives.

Then to make it worse his charade about wanting to play hockey ends up in him failing to report to GR.

Grow up Dan. You're older, not very good, and rich already (unless he blew it all and we don't know.) Stop taking the fans money and playing the loyalty card.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
It's a business, not a retirement home for useless players to collect checks.

As long as it doesn't get in the way of *any* better players, I don't care where Illitch sends his money. He shouldn't be in GR anyway so I'm fine that he doesn't want to report. We have too many good players down there who need ice time. Don't need him clogging up the system.

On the other hand, why even bother with this charade? Did Cleary really believe he had a chance? That's a massive ego and/or delusions of grandeur. Just hand the dude a check and say "thanks for all the years."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad