Waived: Dan Cleary (cleared, assigned to GR - changes mind, going to GR)

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
When you pay your hard earned money to watch a game, you are paying for what is on the ice. I take it personal that Dan Cleary wanted to guzzle as much money as he could by overstaying his welcome when he probably knew these 20 year old kids were far superior. He got a million dollars to play less than 20 games. That's more than heart surgeons make that save lives.

Then to make it worse his charade about wanting to play hockey ends up in him failing to report to GR.

Grow up Dan. You're older, not very good, and rich already (unless he blew it all and we don't know.) Stop taking the fans money and playing the loyalty card.

If you are going to be mad about the on ice product, the blame should be with Babcock and Holland. They decide who plays. Dan Cleary didn't put Dan Cleary on the ice. Babcock did. Why take it personal? And if you are mad about one player making more money that a heart surgeon that saves lives, you have to be mad at all the people that "play games" and make more than a heart surgeon. It isn't right to single Cleary out in that regard.

redwingsphan

Apr 25, 2014
If you are going to be mad about the on ice product, the blame should be with Babcock and Holland. They decide who plays. Dan Cleary didn't put Dan Cleary on the ice. Babcock did. Why take it personal? And if you are mad about one player making more money that a heart surgeon that saves lives, you have to be mad at all the people that "play games" and make more than a heart surgeon. It isn't right to single Cleary out in that regard.

I agree, for the most part. I can see people being a little pissed if he collects a check and doesn't train and play this year. And I'm going to wait to form much of an opinion on this year until I see it play out a bit. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes. But, if he is busting his ass everyday I'm not going hold it against him, for the reasons you stated.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance 4m4 minutes ago
Just spoke w/Dan Cleary who will report to Grand Rapids on Tuesday. Looks forward to mentoring young players: "I just needed some time."

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
"just needed some time."

makes me wonder if cleary really thought he was guaranteed a spot on the wings roster no matter what happened

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
"just needed some time."

makes me wonder if cleary really thought he was guaranteed a spot on the wings roster no matter what happened

Yeah that's possible.

Could be also that somebody from the league called and said that you can't pay him if he doesn't play. Sounded to me like Holland was going to pay him anyways even though I'm pretty sure that would violate the cap.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Yeah that's possible.

Could be also that somebody from the league called and said that you can't pay him if he doesn't play. Sounded to me like Holland was going to pay him anyways even though I'm pretty sure that would violate the cap.

Or, maybe he actually did need some time to process that he isn't good enough for the NHL and the Wings put him out to pasture. He is a heart and soul kind of guy and something like that would be a big blow.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
He probably figures now that Franzen is on LTIR there's a call up opportunity.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Or, maybe he actually did need some time to process that he isn't good enough for the NHL and the Wings put him out to pasture. He is a heart and soul kind of guy and something like that would be a big blow.

Yeah, that's possible too i guess. That would just be a serious case of denial though, which I have a hard time believing.

Saw this guy post this yesterday:

Dunno how he figured out that he got paid even though he's not in GR (maybe somebody can fill me in on how he got that information). I just wonder if there's any connection there since continuing to pay him even though he's not playing seems to me to violate the cap rules.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Yeah, that's possible too i guess. That would just be a serious case of denial though, which I have a hard time believing.

Saw this guy post this yesterday:

Dunno how he figured out that he got paid even though he's not in GR (maybe somebody can fill me in on how he got that information). I just wonder if there's any connection there since continuing to pay him even though he's not playing seems to me to violate the cap rules.

that's the amount of money he's earned. doesn't mean that's the amount he got paid

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
that's the amount of money he's earned. doesn't mean that's the amount he got paid

Never occurred to me that they could be withholding it. Good point.

The whole situation just seems so bizarre to me begin with that it's difficult to take anything pertaining to it at face value.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
This whole show seems to be about getting Cleary a paycheck, do you really think he wasn't paid?

i'm sure he will get his money

i was just talking about that particular tweet. i doubt that the person running that twitter account knows if he's actually already been paid or not

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Unless the club formally suspended him for not reporting they'll have to pay him.

As far as figuring out how much he earned its simple. He's on a one-way contract and players are paid for each day in the NHL season so calculate his daily pay and multiply by the number of days that have passed so far.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Unless the club formally suspended him for not reporting they'll have to pay him.

As far as figuring out how much he earned its simple. He's on a one-way contract and players are paid for each day in the NHL season so calculate his daily pay and multiply by the number of days that have passed so far.

It ends up being adjusted based on actual NHL revenue for the season but that is getting way too techincal. Bottom line guy earned more than most people in a year for 3 days of thinking it over lol.

I would be very suprised if he finishes out the season. How far are some of those bus trips I think that's what ended up getting Chellios was the bus?

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015

Ahh I see. Thanks.

It occurred to me that there's probably a formula for calculating it like an hour just after I posted that, and that the guy doesn't have any special info or anything :laugh: :dunce: Don't mind me...

Regardless, I'm still keeping my tinfoil hat on and saying that they probably thought they could get away with paying him without reporting to GR because it's just Cleary, to which the league responded:

Last edited:

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
It ends up being adjusted based on actual NHL revenue for the season but that is getting way too techincal. Bottom line guy earned more than most people in a year for 3 days of thinking it over lol.

I would be very suprised if he finishes out the season. How far are some of those bus trips I think that's what ended up getting Chellios was the bus?

Yeah not sure if the guy adjusted for escrow but they recently announced that it'll be at 18% for the first part of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad