Rumor: Dan Boyle

Shadywing19

Jan 26, 2013
I sincerely hope KH would not give up any futures for a 36 yr old dman. We are more than a Dan Boyle away from contending.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Exactly the type of deal this team needs to stay away from the next couple of years.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Exactly the type of deal this team needs to stay away from the next couple of years.

Yeah, detroit needs to be extra careful trading away youth and picks for rentals/players past 35 (or to be really honest, past 30).

Since they don't seem keen on the total rebuild they want to rebuild "on the fly".

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
IF DB is getting traded it should be too a team that has a very good chance of winning the cup, that already has top young dmen and that is just one veteran player away from winning it all

thats not detroit

we need a top pairing skilled dman 30 years of age and under, not over, not even over by one year.

we need to think about 2014-2015 season not this spring only

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

This. Wonder if the Boyle and Gaborik talks will reheat, both guys are available again it would seem and that is where I am guessing this heads.

I don't think the Wings should pay the price Boyle will require, that isn't where this team is at.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
This. Wonder if the Boyle and Gaborik talks will reheat, both guys are available again it would seem and that is where I am guessing this heads.

I don't think the Wings should pay the price Boyle will require, that isn't where this team is at.

Agreed. This team isn't one piece away, and yet doesn't have the assets for two pieces or more. (Without gutting the prospect pool, anyway.)

Yeah, let Boston and Vancouver make these trades who have their contender windows open. When the Wings are legitimate again, hopefully those teams are on the decline for going all-in now.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Agreed. This team isn't one piece away, and yet doesn't have the assets for two pieces or more. (Without gutting the prospect pool, anyway.)

I think with the right lineups (that includes Tatar), and getting healthy, the team could be a serious contender. Helm does improve the bottom six by a lot. Bertuzzi or Sammy is a significant upgrade to Abby for Datsyuk. If Brunner refinds his game, if Howard stays solid, if Datsyuk continues this beastmode, and if the lineups are good...

Yeah, I think a solid addition to the blue line could mean a deep run.

Of course, that all depends on a bunch of things I don't think are likely to happen.

crashman

Go after Smid, not Boyle.

I like the idea of trading for Smid. Assuming Smith, Kindl and Quincey can start/continue playing decent defensively, we can replace White with Smid and our defense will be pretty solid. You know Tom Renney is familiar with him (not that Renney has impressed me since coming here, the PP SUCKS!), but if anyone would know about the guy, he would.

We don't need Boyle. I'd rather keep White around than give up assets for old ass Boyle.

I think our D is playing quite well at the moment. They're still a work in progress, but they've surpassed my expectations on the season as a whole. Kindl and Ericsson have both been playing very good, which is a pleasant surprise. As a long time Ericsson "hater", I've been pretty impressed. He looks like a different player at times, he reacts much faster to the play these days.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
I like the idea of trading for Smid. Assuming Smith, Kindl and Quincey can start/continue playing decent defensively, we can replace White with Smid and our defense will be pretty solid. You know Tom Renney is familiar with him (not that Renney has impressed me since coming here, the PP SUCKS!), but if anyone would know about the guy, he would.

We don't need Boyle. I'd rather keep White around than give up assets for old ass Boyle.

Absolutely this. I don't mind if KH is willing to move some valuable assets, but it should go towards a guy he can build around. Boyle is well past his prime, and while he's still a decent PMD, I don't think he would actually help the team all that much. Smid seems like he would be a good stay-at-home guy to pair with some of our offensive d-men (Smitty comes to mind). It'd be great to have Smid and Ericsson so that at least 2 of our pairings have a relatively solid defensive presence on them.

As far as moving a defenseman like White in a deal (which I was all in for), the Q injury really sucks. I don't like Quincey as a player and think he's overpaid, but losing him hurt the depth on the blueline and most likely made Kenny even more reluctant to make a trade than he normally is.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I'd rather have Havlat than Boyle, who is also rumored to be available.

Absolutely this. I don't mind if KH is willing to move some valuable assets, but it should go towards a guy he can build around. Boyle is well past his prime, and while he's still a decent PMD, I don't think he would actually help the team all that much. Smid seems like he would be a good stay-at-home guy to pair with some of our offensive d-men (Smitty comes to mind). It'd be great to have Smid and Ericsson so that at least 2 of our pairings have a relatively solid defensive presence on them.

As far as moving a defenseman like White in a deal (which I was all in for), the Q injury really sucks. I don't like Quincey as a player and think he's overpaid, but losing him hurt the depth on the blueline and most likely made Kenny even more reluctant to make a trade than he normally is.

Unfortunately, Smid is HIGHLY coveted by more than a few teams, and if the Oilers want to keep him around for the future, it's likely they'll pay him waaaaay more than he's actually worth; it's also likely that someone else will overpay for his services should he be traded/reach UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad