The Athletic Dan Boyle Talks About Todd McLellan

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
You also need a coach who is capable of reading the bench and his guys. Who has their legs going that night? Who seems to be playing above their normal level? Who just doesn't have it? Should I shorten the bench? Who is having a good game against a certain line? When does this team need an emotional shift? Does my goalie look shakey/does he look dialed in?

There are parts of the game where analytics are not best used.

Too bad that wasn’t when I was talking about.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
True, shouldn't have directed it at just you. I've seen people say similar things about AV, Maclean, etc.

Oh fair enough, haven't been paying enough attention to the forums I guess.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Come on people, are we really going to take the word of a retired NHL player who played for the guy, or a bunch of anonymous fans on Message Board Forum to determine what kind of coach he is...I think we all know whose word we're supposed to take in this situation.

First off, explain to me how Nashville players were oh so complimentary of Housley. Second, I don't compare what any players say to what fans here say. I don't give a crap about what fans' opinions are, only whatever supporting information they post about a coach's style, strategy, effectiveness, etc. It's the info that matters, not anyone's opinion. Same for players.

Last edited:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Just give me a coach with multiple playoff trips and 100 point seasons. That is Mclellan and AV. Give me either. I am happy with one or the other

Reactions: lancaster14

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
First off, explain to me how Nashville players were oh so complimentary of Housley. Second, I don't compare what any players say to what fans here say. I don't give a crap about what fans' opinions are, only whatever supporting information they post about a coach's style, strategy, effectiveness, etc. It's the info that matters, not anyone's opinion. Same for players.

He was an assistant coach in Nashville, there’s a BIG difference.

Reactions: Buffaloed

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Tell me how McLellan and Housley are similar hockey coaches?

Neither believe in analytics (even quoted as saying as much). Neither believe in line matching. Both are notorious for overplaying vets and terrible lineup decisions(Lucic with McDavid for 30ish games despite only scoring 1 goal).

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Neither believe in analytics (even quoted as saying as much). Neither believe in line matching. Both are notorious for overplaying vets and terrible lineup decisions(Lucic with McDavid for 30ish games despite only scoring 1 goal).

Name me one coach who hasn’t had a head scratching decision. Hell, name me another poor lineup decision from Mclellan during his time in Edmonton. What about San Jose? Any poor lineup decisions there?

Last edited:

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
Doesn't matter, you change things up if its that bad. Guy reeks of a grumpier version of Housley.

Except W-L record, coaching history, playoff performance or maybe lack thereof in conference finals but you go right on.

Reactions: Rasmi

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Name me one coach who hasn’t had a head scratching decision. Hell, name me another poor lineup decision from Mcllean during his time in Edmonton. What about San Jose? Any poor lineup decisions there?
Odds are any coach will fail with the Sabres. Botts hasn't been impressive. There's no telling when the Pegulas will activate. We can cover our bases by saying we tried to warn about these issues, but EVERYBODY wanted this hire. :laugh:

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Except W-L record, coaching history, playoff performance or maybe lack thereof in conference finals but you go right on.

Bylsma has a better record and better playoff performance but you go right on. Easy to be a coach of stacked teams. Give Housley the same teams and you probably get the same damn results. I didn't see him doing anything amazing while he coached the Oilers...and that's exactly what we are, the Oilers of the east minus all those 1st overalls.

Somehow this coach that had two 70 point seasons with the Oilers is going to drag this mess of a team anywhere? The delusions are starting early for next season.

Last edited:

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I don’t think the likes of Mike Babcock, Ken Hitchcock, Joel Quennville or Scotty Bowman needed analytics to tell them who the best players are.

I guarantee you the likes of Quennville, Babcock, Sutter or Gallant even think about analytics once that puck drops.
Didn't Babcock bring up xG to the media like 2 days ago?

And maybe if Q thought about analytics he wouldn't have so grossly mishandled the guy who played top 4 minutes for the Cup winner.

A coach who doesn't care about analytics is a coach I want no part of.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Well he didn’t realize TM was a good coach until he retired. Whose to say our players are gonna realize that while they are playing.

He didn't think about it because he just went out there when he was told and they won games. If we're winning, who cares?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Just give me a coach with multiple playoff trips and 100 point seasons. That is Mclellan and AV. Give me either. I am happy with one or the other

Multiple playoff trips and 100-point seasons are expected with the roster talent McLellan had in San Jose, and AV in Vancouver. Vigneault's accomplishments with NYR are perhaps more impressive. A lot more balanced there, IMO. But then again, Lundqvist.

Regardless, I don't think those hiring criteria are anywhere near the most important criteria.

Choosing between two or three "finalist" candidates for the Sabres, I would want the coach who:
1. Has proven experience getting incrementally more out of players than their innate capability.
2. Has proven experience developing young players faster than their innate trajectory, and more importantly, lacks examples of ruining them.
3. Will attract and assemble the better staff of assistants.
4. Uses information from multiple sources to make decisions.
5. Holds players, staff, and assistants accountable.

Either of the two (TM, AV) are miles better than Housley.

Last edited:

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Didn't Babcock bring up xG to the media like 2 days ago?

And maybe if Q thought about analytics he wouldn't have so grossly mishandled the guy who played top 4 minutes for the Cup winner.

A coach who doesn't care about analytics is a coach I want no part of.
Babs did say that, but you should see Leafs fans, particularly the ones that like stats and charts, blow up because his lineup choices very rarely take them into account. It's entertaining.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
Bylsma has a better record and better playoff performance but you go right on. Easy to be a coach of stacked teams. Give Housley the same teams and you probably get the same damn results. I didn't see him doing anything amazing while he coached the Oilers...and that's exactly what we are, the Oilers of the east minus all those 1st overalls.

Somehow this coach that had two 70 point seasons with the Oilers is going to drag this mess of a team anywhere? The delusions are starting early for next season.

Well if we are in deed the Oil of the east then I should think Phil Housely would have at least gotten us to the second round of the playoffs in one of his first two years no?
Carry on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad