Dan Blackburn Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

damoose212001

Jan 16, 2005
Pittsburgh
I've heard rumors about how he may be forced to retire and him also trying the two blocker style idea. I was wondering if there is any chance that he may come back to play with a catcher and blocker instead of 2 blockers. Seeing him make a full recovery where he could play as a normal goalie does would be great.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
It's always possible that the nerve will suddenly remember what it's supposed to be doing. However, there is usually more progress by this point and that's not a good sign. And even then, there is no guarantee that he will be able make the moves that a NHL goalie has to make in a split second.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
damoose212001 said:
I was wondering if there is any chance that he may come back to play with a catcher and blocker instead of 2 blockers. .

Never say never..but i HIGHLY doubt it. Probably a 1% chance. If the nerve didnt heal by now or at least show progress then its probably not going to.

damoose212001

Jan 16, 2005
Pittsburgh
I really wish they were able to find something out about how to fix nerve damage such as his. It's terrible to say, but is a possiblity that this may happen to another great player, or anyone down the road. Even if there was a surgery that took 2 years to heal, then that'd be better than what's wrong with him now. If i were him, i'd be more focused on getting a normal life for now and then make his hockey come back. It seems as he's trying to much at once again. I hope all goes well with him though.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
damoose212001 said:
I really wish they were able to find something out about how to fix nerve damage such as his. It's terrible to say, but is a possiblity that this may happen to another great player, or anyone down the road. Even if there was a surgery that took 2 years to heal, then that'd be better than what's wrong with him now. If i were him, i'd be more focused on getting a normal life for now and then make his hockey come back. It seems as he's trying to much at once again. I hope all goes well with him though.

I wouldnt be too concerned about his normal life. He can do things with his arm that any of use would. The difference is that he cant snap it up in a split second like an NHL goalie needs to.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Minors..

Barnaby said:
I wouldnt be too concerned about his normal life. He can do things with his arm that any of use would. The difference is that he cant snap it up in a split second like an NHL goalie needs to.

Word from Davidson is that Blackburn is either in the AHL with the Wolf Pack or with their ECHL affiliate working out with those 2 blockers. He also said that if Blackburn were to come back and try to play with 2 blockers he would only have a certain number of games to play before deciding if he could or couldn't continue to play hockey in order to collect his insurance money.

So, under that condition, I would think it would be wiser to Blackburn to continue to wait for the nerve to hopefully improve. Seeing as there is no NHL to come back to for the foreseeable future, he's better off just practicing right now and not trying to get into a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad