Dan Bertram and Andrew Cogliano?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krooky

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
TRS said:
It's OPJHL or OHL next season before heading to Michigan. Hopefully he plays on MY line :dunce:

Sorry buddy but if he plays in the OHL next year he would be suspended for well over a year in the NCAA. For someone who supposedly plays at the same level as him you know far too little about the rules.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
HabLover said:
Are both guys headed to the NCAA next year?? I believe Bertram is headed to Boston College, but I'm not sure about Cogliano?

If so, who will do better between these two future stars?

Don't know enough about Cogliano but can tell you that Bertram is the real deal. He started to stand out at the CWG where he was, imho, as good an underager as there was there (and yes, I know that will get the usual responses) - in addition to leading a very strong Alberta squad in points, he also lead in hits, showed solid back check, a great work ethic, and a flair for seeing the ice.

Back in Alberta, he was rookie of the year this year in a no-contest decision. He continues to play physical, gritty, skilled and hard working hockey. He has also had the advantage of great coaching with Rybalka (who also coached Team Alberta to the Gold and took Camrose to the final game of the RBC last year with Bertram playing a big role for an underager). He has improved a lot.

The Kodiaks are also looking like they are about to take another run for the RBC this year, and although I suspect they don't quite have the same horses, I would not count them out. So - Bertram continues to gain key experience and develop his game.

As to BC, we will see how quickly he adapts as he is going to be both young and a bit small when he gets there. I have no doubt that he will be an NCAA star and deserve a lot of attention, but next year may turn out to be a development year.

Or...he might surprise a lot of people and show he is already ready for the next step when he arrives. If that happens, look for big things.

The draft gets deferred for at least a year so comparisons to non-NCAA 87's are probably meaningless.

db23

HabLover said:
So Bertram has obviously fast-tracked his school to play next year in the NCAA and Cogliano has not??

I think that Michigan only has two scholarship openings this year. Their captain Andy Burnes and Mike Komisarek, if he stayed, would have been the only two graduating seniors with full ride scholarships. Those were committed to Chad Kolarik and Kevin Porter of the USNTDP a year ago or so. So Cogliano will have to wait until next year along with Jack Johnson who may be the best player on the U18 team already, even though he is still eligible to play for the U17's. Cogliano and Phil Kessell from the USNTDP are regarded as the best '87 born college eligible forwards. Kessell has yet to commit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->