Damn Synergys...

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Just broke another tonight...I play about 1-2 games a week and i've broken about 5 in the past 2 years. Took a slapshot to clear the puck in my zone on a PK and it snapped in two.

It was a replacement stick to start with but when I was looking the stick over on the bench, nowhere did it say "replacement stick". So i'm pretty sure i'll be able to send this one back thankfully for a new one :handclap:

My backup stick was another replacement synergy but on that one it reads "Warranty: Replacement stick"

How often do you guys break sticks? I use a 100 flex btw and i'm about 160 pounds, so its not like the flex is way to light for me and that's the reason I break them.

ThatOneGuy*

No the flex is way to stiff for you.. use an 85. Im 6'1 200lbs and use a 75 flex. If your stick too stiff it'll break easier. The lower the flex, the more it will bend. Brett Hull used 65 flexes for most of his career.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
No the flex is way to stiff for you.. use an 85. Im 6'1 200lbs and use a 75 flex. If your stick too stiff it'll break easier. The lower the flex, the more it will bend. Brett Hull used 65 flexes for most of his career.

Really?? Damn i thought it was the other way around!

RangersMoogle

Oct 25, 2005
Ohio
www.tehinter.net
My playing weight is 280, and I've been using the same 100 flex Synergy for about five years now. Of course, I'm a defenseman, and if I get a shot off, it's usually an accident anyway.

I don't know why I need a Synergy as a defensive defenseman.

TaiMaiShu

Aug 12, 2005
Same deal here. I've had to of broken over 10 Synergy's in the last couple years. Luckily I only payed for a couple of them!

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
My playing weight is 280

Jesus, are you pushing 7' tall? Being in shape at 280, assuming your pretty tall, is crazy (in a good way if your body can handle the stress of hockey weighing that much).

Anyway, I don't break many sticks, but I don't really take many slappers. Had a Synergy last about a year before it finally went. How long they last seems to depend on alot of different factors, many I'm not sure I can quantify. Most people who I know who shoot the best, as well as the hardest, use lower flex sticks regardless of their size. Some of them break them alot, some dont. 5 in 2 years is light compared to some people I know.

I'm back to using the old composite shaft/wood blade combo because I liked the feel better. I also like to use low flex sticks, around an 85, and I'm 6'3 240 (about 10-15 lbs too heavy too ;))

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
I broke two synergy's on just a sport court inline rink (100 flex). So I went back to my z-bubbles and I had much better luck.

leafsrok

Feb 3, 2007
Just broke another tonight...I play about 1-2 games a week and i've broken about 5 in the past 2 years. Took a slapshot to clear the puck in my zone on a PK and it snapped in two.

It was a replacement stick to start with but when I was looking the stick over on the bench, nowhere did it say "replacement stick". So i'm pretty sure i'll be able to send this one back thankfully for a new one :handclap:

My backup stick was another replacement synergy but on that one it reads "Warranty: Replacement stick"

How often do you guys break sticks? I use a 100 flex btw and i'm about 160 pounds, so its not like the flex is way to light for me and that's the reason I break them.

i thnk your flex is too stiff actually.
you know how, when a noodle(like spaghetti) is dry, its very easy to break, and when its wet, it just bends and doesnt break?
same with hockey sticks, the lighter the flex, the more the stick will bend, with a stif stick, it may only bend(just an example) 2' from its original shape before it snaps because of all the tension the stick is under, lower the flex, it'll bend 4' before it breaks, its under less tension

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
If you're 160, there's no way you should be using 100 flex. 85 is what you should use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey_stick
Whip, bend, stiffness, and flex are all terms used to describe how a stick bows when taking a shot. The flex is printed on the side of the stick, typically ranging from 70 and 110. This number corresponds to the force that it takes to deflect or bend the shaft one inch. For example, a 100 flex requires 100 pounds force (444 N) to bend the shaft 1 inch. A 90 flex requires 90 pounds force (400 N) to bend the shaft 1 inch, and so on.

Aggressive and defensive players lean towards using stiff shafts for stick-checking and controlled slap shots. For a decent slap shot the blade of the stick makes contact with the ice a few inches before the puck. The shaft bends (gets preloaded), loading it full of potential energy, then as you pull the stick through that bend it snaps back into position as it makes contact with the puck. All this force is transferred into the puck.
Finesse style players generally prefer flexible and light weight shafts for wrist shots (snap shots), stick handling, and shot accuracy. A flexible shaft provides more whip which translates into more velocity on shots. Smaller players tend to use more flexible shafts to increase power on slap and wrist shots.

Unless you're really thin for your size, I assume you're somewhere between 5'8" and 5'10". I'm 5'8", 165lbs. and I use an 85 and it works great. I've tried 100s, and it is way too stiff for me.

Also, try a Warrior stick, they are amazing. I've been using mine for almost a year now and it's the best stick I've ever used. I have an Easton Ultra-Lite which is also an 85 flex, but it just doesn't have the same feel as my AK-27.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I use a Synergy ST Grip and in over 1 1/2 years... no break. I take a lot of slap shots and one timers. I play a pretty decent level (still) and the competition at the boards, where sticks take a beating, is pretty high.

I am 6'2" and 205 lbs... my flex is a 100. To really know your preference...you have the same model, with the same curve, in varying stiffnesses - and the chance to try them all in the same on ice session. That doesn't come around so often.

So, go with the tried and true measure of stiffness to weight. At 150lbs... try 75 or less.

RangersMoogle

Oct 25, 2005
Ohio
www.tehinter.net
Jesus, are you pushing 7' tall? Being in shape at 280, assuming your pretty tall, is crazy (in a good way if your body can handle the stress of hockey weighing that much).

Ahahah, yeah, I'm 6'4", so 280 is REALLY pushin' it, but my body fat percentage hovers around 20%, so a lot of it is muscle, and I do cardio five days a week, so I'm in decent shape. I'm not going to say I'm in good shape, but I'm not at high risk for a heart attack or anything. I like being the biggest guy on the ice by a mile, and if I'm not draggin' my team down, who's gonna complain :D

2x4*

Just wondering, I am 6'2" and 190 pounds and I have a 110 flex. Is that too much in your opinions? I dont think it is.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
I like being the biggest guy on the ice by a mile, and if I'm not draggin' my team down, who's gonna complain :D

haha, seriously. I'm usually the biggest guy one the ice (for my team, we don't have too many guys over 6' even) as well so I can totally relate.

ThatOneGuy*

Just wondering, I am 6'2" and 190 pounds and I have a 110 flex. Is that too much in your opinions? I dont think it is.

Jesus.. Can you even take a wrist shot? Alot of NHL players don't even use 110 flex sticks.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
yes body weight is a huge factor, but the force you put on it from the strength you have is something you must think about too. if you are 5'5 170 pounds, but have a 100 mph shot you should be using a higher flex.

colton23

Sep 10, 2006
well i find in my case 5-5 125lbs that weight while still a factor is not quite as important as technique and strength but it really comes down to what you prefer i use a 85 flex stic and it works for me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->