Rumor: Damir Zhafyarov received offers from Chicago and Detroit.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
https://www.sport-express...tsya-zhafyarovym-1758512/

Google Translate:

According to SE expert Nikolai Lemtyugov, the third KHL scorer, Torpedo forward Damir Zhafyarov received offers from Chicago and Detroit.

“There is information that Zhafyarov is determined to go to North America. He has offers from "Chicago" and "Detroit" - said Lemtyugov on the air on the YouTube channel "SE".

Zhafyarov's contract with the Nizhny Novgorod club ends on April 30 this year. In 54 matches of the KHL regular championship, he scored 58 (20 goals, 38 assists) with a +6 usefulness rating.

In the NHL, the 26-year-old has not been drafted by any club.

2020-21 team NIZHNY NOVGOROD KHL GP54 G20 A38 PTS58 PIM26 +6

Stan has signed some pretty good Euro players in the last 6-7 years - Panarin, Kempny, Kampf, Ruutta, Kahun, Kubalik and this year Suter. Any player averaging over 1 point per game in the KHL and 3rd in scoring is pretty good.

I recall Detroit and Chicago were both rumored to be trying to sign Suter and obviously he signed with the Hawks. Go get this guy Stan - keep the Euro pipeline running.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
His linemates in the KHL were in the Wings organization. I would hope that would help in our favor
His main linemate that is racking up all the points with him is Ivan Chekhovich of the sharks. Not sure if they are interested but the sharks love euro FA's so wouldnt shock me.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
His main linemate that is racking up all the points with him is Ivan Chekhovich of the sharks. Not sure if they are interested but the sharks love euro FA's so wouldnt shock me.

I see he's a 2017 draft pick of the Sharks and he spent some time playing in the AHL. Only 21 so he's got time to develop.

As a Hawks fan I'm encouraged by him wearing #88 - probably means nothing but ... you know ... grabbing on to anything I can. :)

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I see he's a 2017 draft pick of the Sharks and he spent some time playing in the AHL. Only 21 so he's got time to develop.

As a Hawks fan I'm encouraged by him wearing #88 - probably means nothing but ... you know ... grabbing on to anything I can. :)
Hawks have been getting pretty lucky with the euro steals these days. Wouldn't surprise me if he became a success.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Ah...Nikolai Lemtyugov.

giphy.gif

Always liked that kid when he was playing in Peoria.

Reactions: TK 421

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
His size is why I don't think he will do well in the NHL. He is short, but more importantly he weighs less than 180 lbs. Unless he is blindingly fast and smart he likely won't do well in this league for any sustained time. His skating doesn't seem good enough to make up for the size issue, at least not to me. Obviously if he signs with us, I would be more than glad to be wrong.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Hawks have been getting pretty lucky with the euro steals these days. Wouldn't surprise me if he became a success.

Yeah, the Hawks have done very well with that. Obviously hitting a homerun with Panarin, but even after that they've done fairly well. Kahun got 37 points as a rookie in 2018/19 and Kubalik got 30 goals as a rookie last season, and he's continuing to score well this season with 14 points in 18 games. This season Suter is leading rookie scoring with 10 points while playing a very good all around game. So, none of the last three are homeruns like Panarin but all are pretty good NHL players which cost basically nothing to acquire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad