D'Amigo: not impressed!

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
He was never that good to begin with. I never understood why Leafs fans wanted to make him out to be the next great thing. Had this whole debate with them last season.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
He still looks like a future very good 3rd liner to me. Great pick.

BIG BLUE

Apr 4, 2009
Toronto
people go buck wild when they see the WJCs, but they are no indication of what will happen in the NHL...

he had a great WJC with Stepan and got hot offensively, but no need to overblow the importance of that.

Dave Morrison and Dave Nonis have always said D'Amigo projects as a 3rd line energy guy who will pitch in a few goals, with maybe the outside chance of being a 2nd liner.

The Marlies play guys in similar situations to what they will be in the NHL, so he's not on the top line there either. This year's WJC he was used on the bottom lines also.

Dutch Dreams

Sep 20, 2009
The guy was never that great of a prospect.

He's average, but had a good WJC and as such was highlighted. Everybody likes to think they have a future first-liner, whether it be Kreider/Paajarvi, etc...

I like his offensive instincts, so I've always projected him as a complementary scorer. It's always exciting when you've got a potential top-six candidate but really the guy isn't even our best forward prospect anymore other than Kadri. McKegg showed in pre-season a strength on his skates and scoring prowess that should have him much more easily into the NHL.

Bottom-Six, Kenny Ryan was certainly more impressive as a checker as well.

Apr 11, 2010
Toronto
He was way overhyped, simple as that. He was at MOST a decent 2nd liner, but good energy forward on the 3rd line (not physical enough for the 4th as his build simply isn't that good). But as this IS his 1st year turning pro, it's expected that he's not ripping it up. He's not a first rounder. Even if he was, look at Kadri.

BLAME CANADA*

Remember when all the Leaf fans we're saying D'Amigo is better than Schroeder.... lol. Should be a solid bottom 6 guy.

Thrillingbroom

Jun 15, 2009
I wasn't impressed with him either from what I saw, I dunno if it was just him or all US players but he seemed to be taking really long shifts.

Hopefully he can become a good bottom 6 energy guy but is definitely a few years away from the NHL. Still a solid pick-up in the 6th round. He should be in the OHL, and next year in the AHL. Pretty difficult to be playing against men and also get used to the more intense schedule.

Is it just me or does he seem too big for his size? 5-11, 213 seems pretty big for that height. Especially for a 19 year old

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
The guy was never that great of a prospect.

He's average, but had a good WJC and as such was highlighted. Everybody likes to think they have a future first-liner, whether it be Kreider/Paajarvi, etc...

I like his offensive instincts, so I've always projected him as a complementary scorer. It's always exciting when you've got a potential top-six candidate but really the guy isn't even our best forward prospect anymore other than Kadri. McKegg showed in pre-season a strength on his skates and scoring prowess that should have him much more easily into the NHL.

Bottom-Six, Kenny Ryan was certainly more impressive as a checker as well.

Did you just compare D'Amigo to Kreider and Paajarvi?

ORYX

Mar 2, 2008
He should have come to Kitchener when he was drafted! just sayin....

Dutch Dreams

Sep 20, 2009
Remember when all the Leaf fans we're saying D'Amigo is better than Schroeder.... lol. Should be a solid bottom 6 guy.

Schroeder is making just as much of a case for himself.

Did you just compare D'Amigo to Kreider and Paajarvi?

If you wish.

Obviously D'Amigo's potential is not as much, but all these players were, or are expected to be first-liners in the NHL. I'm not convinced with either being anything more than 3rd liners.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007

If you wish.

Obviously D'Amigo's potential is not as much, but all these players were, or are expected to be first-liners in the NHL. I'm not convinced with either being anything more than 3rd liners.

D'Amigo was expected to be a first liner? Got it. :laugh:

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver

If you wish.

Um, what? Kreider and MPS have been considered potential 1st liners for a while, and still are considered potential 1st liners. D'Amigo has never been considered a potential 1st liner by anyone but the biggest homers.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
He was playing injured I think.

It could also be a confidence issue. He's playing against tougher competition in AHL at a younger issue while he was in NCAA dominating there and sometimes that carries over in WJC.

I'm not sure how many actually thought he was a potential 1st liner or anything but he is still a very solid pick. Could be a 3rd liner with some 2nd line upside.

WJC is a very small sample. You can dominate one year and then be bad the next. It happens.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Seems to be a case of a guy turning pro too early. Hopefully he spends the remainder of the season in Kitchener.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
D'Amigo didn't just have a good WJC, he was great in the NCAA as well, going PPG in his rookie season. That's where most of the hype came from.

He's in over his head in the AHL, and it may have hurt his confidence. Not many 19 year olds make the AHL, let alone excel in it.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
He's still a damn good sixth round pick. Having a huge tournament like he did last year will always lead to being over hyped, people always put too much into World Junior performances. As a sixth round pick it was always gonna be an uphill battle to become an impactful NHLer, a kid that falls to the sixth isn't exactly a blue chipper. He belongs in Kitchener this year, I know a lot of people on this board hate the CHL/AHL agreement for kids under 20 but there are very few kids that are actually ready for the AHL at 18/19 so the rule actually does a damn good job protecting teams from rushing prospects. Yes there are the Brayden Schenns of the world who are too good for juniors and not good enough for the NHL that could benefit from the AHL at the age of 19 but they're the exceptions, most kids could still learn a lot from another year or two in junior.

TheLowKreider

Aug 4, 2009
The world juniors is such a small sample, that a good tourney can make you a "steal draft pick in round 6....should been a 1st rounder", or "is this guy ever going to make it" after a bad tournament.

D'Amigo is not any worse this year than he was last year, it might have a lot to do with expectations....and the fact he plays for a large market canadian team wouldnt have helped him out either (same thing happened to Jordan Schroeder last year).

D'Amigo at best will be a 2nd line winger at the NHL level....he just raised his expectations to get there sooner by his play in last years tournament.

All that being said, I didnt see the "elite talent" in any of the americans this year. They are ALL really good skaters, but guys like D'Amigo, Kreider, Palmieri etc, especially Kreider are just that really good skaters, not really talented hockey players.

lol at you putting kreider in with d'amigo

He led Team USA and tied for fifth among all tournament skaters in goals, and tied for first on the team and 15th overall in points. He also tied for the tournament lead with three power play goals, and second on USA with 20 shots.

but yeah, not a talented hockey player :shakehead

Hammy9

Apr 1, 2009
it seems as though burke may end up sending D'amigo down to kitchener. He is going to make his final decision after this marlies road trip concludes.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
He was never that good to begin with. I never understood why Leafs fans wanted to make him out to be the next great thing. Had this whole debate with them last season.

Nobody has (or atleast, not alot have).

Leafs brass, majority of Leafs fans see him as a future 3rd line player (he himself sees it the same way).

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
It's because he was never a top 6 forward prospect. He projects as a good 3rd line hustle two-way forward, not a guy that's going to be potting goals on the first two lines like some Leafs fans thought he'd be.

Dutchy

Aug 16, 2003
Montréal, Québec, Ca
Wow, I hate the Leafs just as much as the next guy, but I don't get the bashing in this thread.

So yeah, the kid had an average WJC, but whenever you're 6th rounder realistically project as a solid 3rd, you put that in the Win column.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad