D'Amigo: not impressed!

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
I don't know about you guys, but lately I have not been impressed with D'amigo's play. I have been watching regularly with the Marlies and also at this world junior tournament, and I got to say it, I think he has lost some of the upside he once used to have.

I think he just looks lost out there. This tournament he lost a number of one on one battles and did not really contribute that much. He has got 2 points in 5 games, 1.6 shots per game at the juniors. 9 points in 29 games with the Marlies. I dont know, I just feel that for a guy that was so hyped, I am starting to wonder if he is trending downwards.

What do you guys think?

mooseOAK*

Anyone on the US team look like they are trending upward?

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I don't know about you guys, but lately I have not been impressed with D'amigo's play. I have been watching regularly with the Marlies and also at this world junior tournament, and I got to say it, I think he has lost some of the upside he once used to have.

I think he just looks lost out there. This tournament he lost a number of one on one battles and did not really contribute that much. He has got 2 points in 5 games, 1.6 shots per game at the juniors. 9 points in 29 games with the Marlies. I dont know, I just feel that for a guy that was so hyped, I am starting to wonder if he is trending downwards.

What do you guys think?

I sense that last years WJHC performance has raised everyone's expectations far too high for his talent level.
While his performances prior and post may be a better gauge to set one's expectations for him.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
GSP-NOT-IMPRESSED-1.jpg

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
D'Amigo was overhyped last year but its not like he's regressed. He's a decent NHL prospect.

arsmaster*

The world juniors is such a small sample, that a good tourney can make you a "steal draft pick in round 6....should been a 1st rounder", or "is this guy ever going to make it" after a bad tournament.

D'Amigo is not any worse this year than he was last year, it might have a lot to do with expectations....and the fact he plays for a large market canadian team wouldnt have helped him out either (same thing happened to Jordan Schroeder last year).

D'Amigo at best will be a 2nd line winger at the NHL level....he just raised his expectations to get there sooner by his play in last years tournament.

All that being said, I didnt see the "elite talent" in any of the americans this year. They are ALL really good skaters, but guys like D'Amigo, Kreider, Palmieri etc, especially Kreider are just that really good skaters, not really talented hockey players.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Was there ever much hype for D'Amigo in the first place? He had a nice WJC in 2010, but I don't think he's ever been seen as a particularly good prospect. Even before this season (where he has indeed looked pretty unimpressive in the AHL and the WJCs) most Leafs fans didn't see him making the team any time soon, other than the usual homers who overhype every prospect.

SMoneyMonkey

Dec 7, 2009
LA/MTL
Was there ever much hype for D'Amigo in the first place? He had a nice WJC in 2010, but I don't think he's ever been seen as a particularly good prospect. Even before this season most Leafs fans didn't see him making the team any time soon, other than the usual homers who overhype every prospect.

For about three days after WJC 2010 :P I really don't think Leafs fans over rated him much except for right after the WJC last year. He's still a 2nd line long shot, don't think leafs fans have really said anything else, just have been excited about him possibly making the 2nd line. Which he might still do. 9 points in 29 games in the AHL isn't horrible or anything.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
For about three days after WJC 2010 :P I really don't think Leafs fans over rated him much except for right after the WJC last year. He's still a 2nd line long shot, don't think leafs fans have really said anything else, just have been excited about him possibly making the 2nd line. Which he might still do. 9 points in 29 games in the AHL isn't horrible or anything.

There are a few Leaf fans that have pretty high expectations for him.

That's the thing about the WJC. You can't help but get excited after a prospect has a good tourny. It's such a short tournament that too much stock shouldn't be put into it. I don't think he will be a top 6 NHL player in the future, and as a 6th round pick, i don't think anyone should expect him to be.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
He didn't have a great tournament and hasn't had a great year. Probably left school a year too early. He's an example of a why the whole "returning player" notion as all but for sure certain at the WJCs is bunk. I had fears going in about him, Ryan Bourque, and John Ramage. Unfortunately, two out of three were the leadership core on the U.S.!

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
I sense that last years WJHC performance has raised everyone's expectations far too high for his talent level.
While his performances prior and post may be a better gauge to set one's expectations for him.
Yeah I agree with this. I don't think he was ever more than a long shot to be a 2nd liner. He had a great tournament last year and people began to think he has some top end prospect and he's far from it.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
I've never thought of him as any more than a 3rd liner. He has nice speed and could be a good energy player...just not someone you want eating up a bunch of minutes. This tourny hasn't really changed my opinion...

ocarina

May 23, 2009
I have to wonder if he was rushed, I didn't agree that leaving RPI after one year was best for him.

How has looked for the Marlies?

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
The world juniors is such a small sample, that a good tourney can make you a "steal draft pick in round 6....should been a 1st rounder", or "is this guy ever going to make it" after a bad tournament.

D'Amigo is not any worse this year than he was last year, it might have a lot to do with expectations....and the fact he plays for a large market canadian team wouldnt have helped him out either (same thing happened to Jordan Schroeder last year).

Came in to post exactly this. The WJC's is one small sample size on an enormous stage, and a week-long hot streak can make a 6th round pick into a god practically overnight. By the same token, a week-long cold streak can make that same player look like a total bust. So this year it's out with Jerry D'Amigo and Nino Niederreiter and in with Maxim Kitsyn and Marcus Foligno. Same thing will happen next year.

As for his AHL numbers, he went from dominating against kids to playing against men - give it time.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
Stepan made D'Amigo look good in last year's WJC. The fact that he's a Leafs prospect also gave him higher expectations. But really, he's just another 6th rounder that probably won't make much of an NHL impact when all is said and done.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Stepan made D'Amigo look good in last year's WJC. The fact that he's a Leafs prospect also gave him higher expectations.

It's not like it was the first time he stood out, he has been a great player for US teams at the U18, one of their top scorers, rookie of the year in the ECAC last year playing for RPI. He's a good prospect, he's just having a down year. Probably shouldn't have turned pro yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad