Damien Brunner with a datsyukian-like shoot-out move

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by duga, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. duga

duga Registered User

2. The Saw Is the Law

The Saw Is the Law Registered User

Poor goalie.

Good goal.

MZA? What

3. ponder

ponder Registered User

Yup, that's definitely the Datsyuk, love this move!

4. megalomania

megalomania Registered User

What??? :help:

5. Canuck71*

Canuck71* Guest

MZA is reffering to the Rangers Mats Zuccarello Aasen is believe.

6. megalomania

megalomania Registered User

Yeah I know that, sorry, my post was worded wrongly. I meant to say: No way Brunner is next year's MZA

7. duga

duga Registered User

It's good (very) old Ari Sulander

8. duga

duga Registered User

Imo, he got enough skill to play 2nd line. very lightfooted, smooth skater, nice hands, good wristshot, good passing, got a bit of enthusiasm in his game. while not a physical force at all, he does battle for pucks in the corners with his good stickwork, he drives the net as well.

He definitely isn't as mature physically as MZA. Therefore he may need another year of work in the gym, before being ready. Especially after losing a lot of weight 2 months ago cause of a tyring virus infection.

Plus, he still got some potential to reach, and seems to be ready to work, after going a path with a lot of obstacles. (no WJC, played 2nd tier league, being put on 4th line under the all-defense coach Eldebrink with Kloten Flyers, before changing the club just in time)

Hiller, Streit, Gerber all had to fight for their careers too in the beginning. It worked out pretty well for them.

We'll see.

9. Handlanger

Handlanger Registered User

I can't see it.... he's good, but the people around him on his club make him that good. He was invisible when playing for Kloten, and when playing with the national team against some good opponents, he didn't show ANY phsysicality and cannot compete.

10. Jussi

Jussi Registered User

More like Getzlaf than Datsyuk.

11. The Saw Is the Law

The Saw Is the Law Registered User

No way!

Sick deke. Only Datsyuk dekes Sulo like that.

12. duga

duga Registered User

I don't agree.

I watch Kloten regularly. When he came into the league, he was put on first line with Rintanen and his skills were already through the roof (for a swiss), he had this incredible coast to coast goal (it was the 2nd or 3rd time i saw him play), outspeeding and -deking the opponent, followed by a wicked wrister top-shelf (you remember this insane Kovalchuck goal where he wen't coast to coast? very similar). I just dropped my jaw, except from P. Howald, I've never seen a swiss doing something similar.

He still played very wild, sometimes confusing that days, with bad physical and defensive play. so he got into Eldebrink's Doghouse, the 2nd season, was put on 4th line, lost his enthusiasm and fell off. I could've killed Eldebrink. (who's a very capable coach on general)

While he definitely profits of the speed of Schnyder and the heart and smarts of Holden. They profit as much vice versa. He's so good one-on-one, that the opponent often let him passing lanes open, and he's a nice playmaker and tends to make players around him better.

The thing I agree, is his lack of power and size and he pbly never develops into a physical force. But when looking at his combination of speed, very nice hands, his desire to have the puck on his blade and his smarts.... I can see him getting a defensive style similar to A. Semin's of late, very aggressive stick, a lot of take-a-ways, just one level beneath him But it's still a long way to go.

And 2010 was his first international Year. give him some time. he had some very good moments against weaker competition. and IMO, you could see, that he isn't too far off of having an impact against the top teams.

Plus, and that's a very important detail, while being not an active physical force, he is a very positive, competitive personality, and therefor doesn't get intimidated at ease, unlike Guggisberg or Wichser (the only other swiss wingers comparable skill wise) who got this "typical swiss" a passive, reserved temper and look scared on the ice, when challenged physically.

IMO, he's the only swiss forward, beside von Arx a few years ago, who should make the NHL when giving it a try. The other good ones, like Sprunger, Wick or Deruns could make it, but it would be a little surprise.

Yes, I do hype him a bit, but I really think he'll do it.

sorry for too much words

P.S: and to put me totally offside, just one other thing:
    When it comes to untapped potential, I'm not sure Nino got more than him...

cheers

13. duga

duga Registered User

well, i'll have to agree with that. right shooter, and not skating on just one foot like Dats.

14. HabsInsideOut

HabsInsideOut Registered User

Goalie seemed to stop trying once he hit the ground. Nice move

15. duga

duga Registered User

Sulo is't big and isn't the fastest anymore. But his intelligence and reading of play is incredible. Still the best in Switzerland in that departement. Although Genoni and Conz, who both rely on the same strengh, are challenging him now.

Still it needs a very tricky player like Brunner to let Sulo look his very acctual age.

16. JagerPuck

JagerPuck Registered User

17. duga

duga Registered User

a video from last season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzQretvaQYs

Hockey is so easy to follow for me. Since mid 80ies I'm a supporter of Swiss and Russian Hockey. And my 2 favourite players of this decade Semin for NHL-Level and Brunner NLA-Level just entertain me every time I watch them, and it's so nice to know, that they still develop. I mean Semin before his annual injury, was the best winger in the League, a light version of datsyukian dominance. Brunner without his disease would challenge Sykora and Bednar for best winger in the swiss League.

They play quite similar.

By the way, Teammate Nr.16 Diaz, jumping him at the start of the video, will be a strong competitor for a place in NHL in the future. he's better than Yannick Weber IMO.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  18. swissexpert

swissexpert Registered User

Definitely the most NHL ready player out of the Swiss League. I think his amazing stickhandling could bring him far.
    Deruns and Guggisberg are nice to watch too.
    But at the end, it's more about how you can translate your game to the NHL and not how good are you playing in the NLA.
    I mean I really thought Roman Wick was outstanding here but weren't able to show it in NA so far...

19. FallsForItEveryYear

FallsForItEveryYear Registered User

sweet goal. very similar to datsyuk but not exact. this guy used the foot he lifted during the fake shot to stabilize his body while datsyuk manages to shift his weight enough on his planted foot to use the inside edge in order to turn while his entire upper body is twisted to sell the fake shot far side.

this is very nice but datsyuks is a bit better. its smoother and sells the shot better. in a way the goalies commitment to the spread eagle move is what killed him where as datsyuk dekes to goalie completely to one side and they have almost no chance to make a save besides a desperate wave of the goal stick

20. Habs 1909

Habs 1909 Registered User

Student
    at around :19, Brunner looks like Elias.

21. TheUnseenHand

TheUnseenHand Yuri = Waifu

lol nice catch.

22. spezz19

spezz19 Registered User

23. Belenos

Belenos Registered User

24. swissexpert

swissexpert Registered User

He definitely has the skills to be an NHLer. He has to upgrade his physical play, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.