Daly says NHL is willing to meet

Status
Not open for further replies.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
bleedgreen said:
theyve been willing to meet the whole time, willing to negotiate a deal the players would swallow, thats something else.

That's true to an extent. The same can be said for the PA though, they have not tried to negotiate on cost certainty at any point in time.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
struckmatch said:
That's true to an extent. The same can be said for the PA though, they have not tried to negotiate on cost certainty at any point in time.

Agreed.

However it seemsthe players are far more willing to negotiate than the owners...I just want something done at this point...

I want to start saying Go Leafs Go, again.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
GregStack said:
Agreed.

However it seemsthe players are far more willing to negotiate than the owners...I just want something done at this point...

Exactly. Me too, thats exactly why I'm hoping the PA caves on cost certainty, because thats the only way something gets done. Whether they should, or shouldn't do that is another issue, whether the owners or the players are right is another issue.

It's not about blame anymore, it's not about taking sides, it's about seeing NHL hockey as soon as possible, and that happens with cost certainty being agreed upon by the PA ( which I think they are setting up to do might I add).

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
GregStack said:
Agreed.

I'm curious how players saying they will not negotiate any connection between revenue and salary can be considered "negotiating". I'm not saying the Owners are willing to move on what they are putting forward, but this opinion that the NHLPA are willing to negotiate is wrong. At least according to Trevor Linden, I mean Tom Benjamin, er... I mean... anyone on the players side.

X0ssbar

Along the same lines - an a article from Damion Cox from the Star this morning:

"Ask yourself this question: Why did the NHL players' union, specifically Trevor Linden, seem at the very least neutral following a meeting with the league last Thursday, then appear utterly outraged 24 hours later with key members of the executive committee angrily declaring the season to be over?

Sounds a little strategic, wouldn't you say?

Given that rhetoric and bombast have dominated this entire process but never fail to have people believing it reflects the true state of negotiations, one shouldn't be surprised that the players delivered a staged gloom-and-doom message last Friday.

They then had all their carefully groomed media personnel echo that message over the past three days in the most strident terms possible.

But the fact is the players knew then and know today that they will be getting a new offer from the owners in the next 48 hours, and that this offer will likely reflect some of the common ground forged in the two-day session last week in Chicago and Toronto.

On Friday, the players were simply endeavouring to solicit the league's best offer with another round of chest-thumping.

They know they've lost. They just need an honourable way to save face."

link

RLC

Aug 7, 2004
Montreal
The NHL only offers cost certinity ( cap ) negotiable maybe but a cap it will be.
The players offer anything but a Cap. negotiable maybe but no cap it will be.

This is the problem. and everyone knows it.

Both side are willing to negoitate starting from their position, so any referance to " the other side not willing to negotiate is bunk.

Lindon gets teed-off that he calls a meeting and the NHL has not caved in.
DAAAAAAAAAAA. What did he expect ? He did not like what he heard at the meeting. DAAAAAAA. The NHL won't budge on the basic system.

He walked out of the meeting with a teed-off atitude, but this I would expect if he came away knowing 2 things. Their will not be a season if the players don't start negoitating the best cap for them. SO lose the season and maybe more or start negotiating. Wait untill next year and start negotiating.

The NHLPA has a losing hand in this poker game and the problem is both sides know it therefore bluffing wont work.

When you are in a losing situation you are the one that looks angre and frustrated.
When the cards are on the table and you see you only have 2 kings to the other guys 3 aces with only one more card to come ( you look angre and frustrated )

Do you pay to see that extra card ( season cancelled and try again next year).
Since you have already realized that you cant win not matter what.

In poker, you take the hit and hope that at the next hand it,s the other guy that holds bad cards. What you don't do is walk away to play at another table just because your opponant did not fold his 3 aces.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Ok..so why doesnt Daly go pick up his phone and call someone from the PA to schedule a meeting?
patience, in the next 24-48 hrs we will hear of a meeting, I don't know if there's much point to it, but they will at least call...

HckyFght*

GregStack said:
Agreed.

The league was trying to get the players to the table for at least two years BEFORE the CBA expired. I would have liked them to attempt to get an impasse declared last Sept 16th. The union can make all the publicity gestures it wants, but they have at no time actually been willing to seriously negotiate.
-HckyFght!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad