Daly: Saskin revising History

Status
Not open for further replies.

think-blue-

Sep 28, 2002
Visit site
Well we'll hear what Saskin says later in the hour.

Also it was interesting to hear they didnt even discuss business last night during dinner...they talked about health care, immigration and the media :p: Nice sense of urgency...

krandor

Jan 28, 2005
If I was the NHL and thought the cap numbers as presented were what the league had to have, I would come back with one more proposal this weekend. Keep the cap and linkage at the numbers in the previous proposal, but throw the NHLPA a bone in some other areas like arbitration, Free Agency, contract lengths, lowe the rollout to 15% or something. Call that the final offer.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Egil said:
Daly, on the FAN 590 JUST 100% refuted Saskin's assertion that the NHL said their triggers were a final offer. Very interesting.

wait, so the PA was lying? no way. come on PA spinmasters, spin this one for all of us please :)

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
neelynugs said:
wait, so the PA was lying? no way. come on PA spinmasters, spin this one for all of us please :)

The NHLPA might be lying, but how the hell do you know? For all we know the NHL could be the ones lying, or hell they're both probably lying. Since when has EITHER side been truthful to the media once?

krandor

Jan 28, 2005
Also, this can't be the final offer. This was an attempt to compromise. The final offer would be the one implemented if the league goes to impass and if they have to go to impass they are going to allow a proposal that has the NHLPA proposal for the first 2 years.

No, the NHL has to come back with another straight salary cap proposal to be their "final offer" in the event of an impass.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
PeterSidorkiewicz said:
The NHLPA might be lying, but how the hell do you know? For all we know the NHL could be the ones lying, or hell they're both probably lying. Since when has EITHER side been truthful to the media once?

so bill daly outwardly lied that the triggers are negotiable? sorry, i doubt it...sounds like the PA is afraid that their sham of a proposal just doesn't work.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
neelynugs said:
so bill daly outwardly lied that the triggers are negotiable? sorry, i doubt it...sounds like the PA is afraid that their sham of a proposal just doesn't work.

Yes he could have outwardly lied. You just said the PA outwardly lied, so why can't the NHL lie. Oh I forgot the NHL owners side is absolutely right and perfect in EVERYTHING they do. The Fact is we don't know if anyone lied or who lied for that matter cause none of us were in the actual meeting.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
PeterSidorkiewicz said:
Yes he could have outwardly lied. You just said the PA outwardly lied, so why can't the NHL lie. Oh I forgot the NHL owners side is absolutely right and perfect in EVERYTHING they do. The Fact is we don't know if anyone lied or who lied for that matter cause none of us were in the actual meeting.

i never said the owners were perfect or always right. the fact is, i don't see why daly would say the triggers were negotiable if they weren't. that's a pretty straight-up, factual point. apparently the PA wasn't interested in ANY negotiation (as goodenow said "we will not negotiate off that proposal if there's a timeframe that morphs it into a cap"). as i said, i'm completely fine with an impasse and scab players (if it comes to that). i'll cheer for the jersey just like if the NHL guys were there.

ps- peter sidorkiewicz? you must be his only fan :joker:

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
neelynugs said:

Why is Daly automatically telling the truth, and Saskin automatically lying?

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
There's only one issue in this whole affair that is non-negotiable and that's the cap/linkage one. The PA is trying to save face over rejecting their own proposal by saying the triggers weren't negotiable.

My guess is the PA didn't even try to negotiate the triggers and by twisting logic ever so slightly (no harm in that from time to time) came to the conclusion that the triggers were not negotiable. If they'd tried to negotiate the triggers, it would have been mentioned by at least one of the sides in the press conference.

I'd be interested to see the proposal laid out as it was with one trigger point: if the league loses money as a whole, then things revert to the owners' system. Of course it would take us back to the issue of defining revenues and costs but even if some reasonable definition could be formulated my guess is the PA would still reject it.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
neelynugs said:
i never said the owners were perfect or always right. the fact is, i don't see why daly would say the triggers were negotiable if they weren't. that's a pretty straight-up, factual point. apparently the PA wasn't interested in ANY negotiation (as goodenow said "we will not negotiate off that proposal if there's a timeframe that morphs it into a cap"). as i said, i'm completely fine with an impasse and scab players (if it comes to that). i'll cheer for the jersey just like if the NHL guys were there.

Well Im not fine with scab players or an impasse. I want a season for next year definitely cause life sucks without an NHL. Scab players would absolutely horrendous and would make the league into an even bigger joke. If the triggers were indeed negotiable then I think it was definitely wrong on the NHLPA's part not to negotiate on them. The triggers as offered were a complete joke but if there was an actual chance those triggers could have been made into something fair then I would definitely be somewhat pissed the NHLPA didnt even bother to look at them. But for right now we really have no idea what the hell was going on with those triggers.

And Peter Sidorkiewicz has legions of fans all across the globe. If us Sidorkiewicz fans controlled the NHL we'd see A LOT more goals being scored on goalies thus making the NHL more profitable and marketable to non-hardcore hockey fans duh.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
PepNCheese said:
Why is Daly automatically telling the truth, and Saskin automatically lying?

Nobody was lying, but Saskin was being misleading/evasive. He's correct that Bettman left the impression Wednesday night that the owners "couldn't do any better." That's all Saskin said.
He did not deny that Daly welcomed the PA to negotiate the triggers today.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Sorry

neelynugs said:

Youre mistaken. Both the NHL and NHLPA spoke the truth.

Red universe: In the NHL's universe the teams are businesses, which they are trying to setup to give them the chance to make profits.

Blue universe: In the NHLPA's universe the teams are cash cows which they are trying to set up to milk them the best the best and the fastest way possible(remember how short their careers are).

So, yes the triggers were negotiable up to the extent Red extends toward Blue.

From the Blue side the point dosnt seem to move at all.

What point of view you have depends on whether you took the Red pill or the Blue pill.

(I'm not enough a Matrix buff to continue the joke further)

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
PeterSidorkiewicz said:
And Peter Sidorkiewicz has legions of fans all across the globe. If us Sidorkiewicz fans controlled the NHL we'd see A LOT more goals being scored on goalies thus making the NHL more profitable and marketable to non-hardcore hockey fans duh.

*jumps on the peter sidorkiewicz bandwagon*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->