Daly: Minor changes to MTS Center to bring up to NHL standard

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
By the way, until Calgary made its run to the Final in 04 and boosted their popularity again, they were covering some of those upper seats in the Saddledome because they didn't sell out.

It had to do with insufficient amenities (concessions/washrooms) in that part of the stadium. but with a team in the cup finals, people were willing to hold their pee if it meant being in the building :laugh:

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum

That was one of the better articles I'ce seen on the topic, speaks to what TNSE and Bill Daly have said about the building.

IMO it should be interesting to see what NHL buildings built after 2016 look like if the model in WPG works out, you may see more barns in the 16.5k range. The savings in construction costs would be HUGE, everything structurally starts getting way bigger the larger the bowl size just to clearspan that distance all the way from the roof members right down to the foundations.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
So with a smaller building will they have the most badass camera angles in the NHL?

Yup.

Watched the TB-Chi preseason game on TV, and the angle was great. Not too low like the Dallas and Columbus broadcast positions, not far out like San Jose's. Perfect combination of angle and closeness.

Another thing that will stand out on broadcasts, the PA system absolutely pumps.

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
It had to do with insufficient amenities (concessions/washrooms) in that part of the stadium. but with a team in the cup finals, people were willing to hold their pee if it meant being in the building :laugh:

No it didn't. Attendance in Calgary tumbled from near-capacity crowds in the mid 1990s to less than 16,000 by 2000. The seats were tarped off because they weren't worth having open.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I was told today by a pretty reliable source that TNSE have begun construction on two 10 seat sky suites that will be extensions of the press box. Due to the extreme demand of the luxury suites this makes complete sense.

Can anyone confirm this?

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
I was told today by a pretty reliable source that TNSE have begun construction on two 10 seat sky suites that will be extensions of the press box. Due to the extreme demand of the luxury suites this makes complete sense.

Can anyone confirm this?

this is something that I have yet to hear

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006

Can anyone confirm this?

Thought this was out in the mainstream media already. Pretty sure I've read the sky suite thing reported somewhere. And not this week, either... but some time since the Atlanta purchase was announced.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Thought this was out in the mainstream media already. Pretty sure I've read the sky suite thing reported somewhere. And not this week, either... but some time since the Atlanta purchase was announced.

i had not heard it formally just rumours and today the person who told me is pretty plugged in so i was just looking for a second source to confirm

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
i have pitched this idea to a few people at TNSE.....I would ask someone like Peter Sullivan who has more talent how it could be done structurally but if it was possible i would put one or two directly across from the current expanded press box (one on each blue line), or maybe build them as extensions off the existing press box structure?

a few different scenarios were studied a few years ago...suspending seats or luxury boxes from the roof trusses....there is structural capacity to do it.....the tricky parts are exiting capacity for fire as well as washrooms.....if they were seriously considering this when the NHL was still a dream, i would not be surprised at all to see something like that happen...would probably be a 5 million dollar upgrade that would pay itself back pretty quickly.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
i heard that MTS has re-signed their sponsorship of the arena...not sure how much they will be paying....will be announced soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad