Daly: hope to have World Cup of Hockey 2020

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Just bring back The Canada Cup... it was awsome...and fans truly cared about the tournament...

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Just bring back The Canada Cup... it was awsome...and fans truly cared about the tournament...

Canada Cup was successful because the Russians were not in the NHL.and there were still political tensions. There was intrigue. There was no intrigue in 1996, 2004 and 2016 nor the "cachet" of the Olympics.

After 1987, 1991 was rather meh outside of "will Lindros suit up in Quebec?".

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Just have a best of 7 series with USA and Canada

I'd take any consistent international schedule that doesn't coincide with the SC Playoffs.

My dream setup is to kill the all-star break and instead have international breaks over the year.

While the lesser nations top players can go qualify along the path for a once every four years championship, the US and Canada can play "friendlies" against each other across North America.

US vs Canada annually on new year's day in a stadium? I'd love to see that. Get some company to sponsor a dumb trophy and keep track of the records. Have some fun with it.

Reactions: varsaku

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
I agree, NHL owners have no fear of having a lockout since they know fans will always come crawling back. NHL doesn’t have nearly the same percentage of casual fans that other leagues have and would lose with a lockout.

agreed. Also, the owners are far more monetized than the players, so a lockout does nothing for the players.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
It would be pretty rad to see McMatthews again soon. Y’know, before Matthews signs in Edmonton of course.

Pretty sure that those players would object to playing on Team NA and want to play for their countries instead. Matthews didn't say much at the time because he was just drafted but McDavid wasn't all that happy about being on Team NA instead of Canada.

I liked team NA but guys like McDavid and Matthews have outgrown it. It's not really a best on best tournament if Canada can't have McDavid and Matthews can't be on USA.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Canada Cup was successful because the Russians were not in the NHL.and there were still political tensions. There was intrigue. There was no intrigue in 1996, 2004 and 2016 nor the "cachet" of the Olympics.

After 1987, 1991 was rather meh outside of "will Lindros suit up in Quebec?".
Agree that ‘91 was no ‘87 but The Canada Cup had a aura that The World Cup will never have.. The World Cup has a feel of a overhyped exhibition tournament... maybe having best on best olympics put a damper on it...but geeze those Canada Cups were fun to watch

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Agree that ‘91 was no ‘87 but The Canada Cup had a aura that The World Cup will never have.. The World Cup has a feel of a overhyped exhibition tournament... maybe having best on best olympics put a damper on it...but geeze those Canada Cups were fun to watch

Best-on-best olympics and political changes.

You now see Russians in the NHL everyday, it is not as special to play them. It was really about who was the best, now, we know the NHL is the best, that's why all elite players are there. As a Canadian, 2010 was the most fun I have ever had and that's probably because we won and the way I remember it.

Reactions: Wolf357

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
The time is getting short and especially for a qualification tournament to be held and the lockout potential needs to be figured before a final decision. Last time there was no time for any qualification either, and that was used to partially justify the two joke(r) teams. I'm not hopeful they've learned much from the 2016 Cup.

If it is happening and if they decice to stick to national teams only and they need more than 7 teams, of course the quick and obvious solution is to just pull Germany out of a hat, not because it might be the most deserving, might arguably the 8th best or might factually be 8th best in IIHF rankings, but simply because it is the biggest market.

Last edited:

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Ultimately, it shouldn't come down to the NHL to organize a best on best tournament that doesn't interfere with the best league in the world's schedule.

I'm happy they're trying though.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
I've always maintained that the NHL doesn't need a "World Cup". Canadians really only eat up matches against the USA and than less Russia, the other games are just filler.

Just copy Rugby and create an invitational tourney that's only 3-4 countries.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
I've always maintained that the NHL doesn't need a "World Cup". Canadians really only eat up matches against the USA and than less Russia, the other games are just filler.

Just copy Rugby and create an invitational tourney that's only 3-4 countries.

A Memorial Cup style tournament could work with just a few teams. That way each team plays each other.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
Despite what Daly says I don't think the NHL or PA has any intention of having another World Cup in 2020, and hasn't had intention since the last one fell (well) short of expectations. The impending CBA doom just provides a convenient excuse not to bother. If the last World Cup met/exceeded expectations the NHL/PA would have long since announced a time/place/format for the 2020 tournament.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Just a reminder but the NHL thought the last lockout World Cup would provide a chest of money to sit on. Instead they lost money and they ruined the momentum of their town tourney.....

This why the Wod Cup can't be taken seriously when it's so dependent on outside matters.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
How much money did the 2016 World Cup lose?

It made money, it just didn't generate the profit the league/PA expected. Perhaps more importantly it didn't generate the buzz the league/PA was hoping for... I mean literally a dozen people showed up at Maple Leaf Square for the viewing party.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Even number (September) years are an awful time to hold the tournament to begin with. You basically hold it immediately after the summer Olympics when everyone has already had their fix of international competition. Further holding it in an even number year puts the it in the immediate season before the Winter Olympics, stacking international hockey tournaments.

It should be held on the odd number year in September following the Winter Olympics. That would mean September 2019 (and then September 2023). That on the hockey calendar puts in closer to the halfway point between Olympic tournaments. That could potentially allow both to exist with NHL players without it getting stacked. (Though I think for both to exist with nhl players the world championships would have to be pared down)

Of course it is probably too late for a 2019 tournament be because the league has no foresight

JETZZZ

Oct 27, 2010
Winnipeg Manitoba
Hold the World Cup every 4 years, dont make any non-national teams, dont add any age restrictions to teams, allow players from all leagues to participate. The 2020 IIHF world championships IS the qualifier for the 2020 World Cup, top 8 teams in the spring tournament qualify for the one in the fall. The NHL does not have to re-create the wheel as the IIHF does all this already for them.

The NHL is still gonna want to make the 2020 World Cup as big of a cash grab as possible (At this point, as long as its best-on-best, I can live with that). Sticking adds over every square inch of the uniforms, ice, boards, cgi ads over the fans in the backgrounds, whatever. The World Cup will be held in North America each time, in September, on NHL sized ice, by NHL rules, and will probably be marketed towards North Americans only. Despite that, they will insist it is a 100% international hockey tournament. The tournament will probably be called the Bridgestone World Cup of Hockey presented by Mountain Dew or something like that because they can make a dollar or two more.

This tournament will make the NHL and the PA a ton of money whether or not the hockey is that great, just as long as some of it will be used to pay for the travel/insurance cost for the following Olympics. (Probably from the PA's half, and in return the NHL shuts down for 2 weeks every 4 years to give the players the time off). This way, the NHL gets their own international tournament they can milk the ever-loving crap out of, the players get to go to the Olympics again, the IIHF and the fans are happy because Best-on-best Olympic hockey is back, the IOC dont care either way what happens, Everybody wins...

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
How much money did the 2016 World Cup lose?

Also, each player who played in the tournament made like $75K, while players from Team Canada received closer to $100K. Considering a good portion of the players in the tournament make that in a game, I don't know if that type of "pocket change" is really worth it to them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad