Daly: hope to have World Cup of Hockey 2020

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by LadyStanley, Oct 6, 2018.

1. LadyStanley

LadyStanley RIP Fugu

2. gstommylee

gstommylee Registered User

3. Spartachat

Spartachat Young, fast and cheap

I think they should divide Team Canada into Team Quebec, Team GTO and Team Rest of Canada ex Quebec and GTO. It would be make it much more enjoyable.

Rcknrollkillnmachine likes this.
  4. gstommylee

i never did like the team setup last time aorund. team NA team US team canada? team europe? really?

5. Tom ServoMST3K

Tom ServoMST3K Hockey Professor in Training

Team NA was the best thing to happen to hockey in a long time. They won't do that again, but it's something I'll always look back fondly on.

Dialamo, girlfriend haver and Fixxer like this.
  6. LEAFANFORLIFE23

LEAFANFORLIFE23 Registered User

I'm not convinced there will be a lockout, and the the only reason for that is because Seattle is coming in and having a lockout when Seattle is coming in seems counter productive

7. StreetHawk

StreetHawk Registered User

From the owners POV that's correct. But not for the players. They aren't entitled to any of the expansion fee money. So, if there is a delay until 21-22 before Seattle begins their inaugural season, so be it. Whether it's in 2020 or at the expiration of the current CBA in 2022, I suspect that there will be a work stoppage. Until the NHL and PA can show that they can negotiate a new CBA with a work stoppage, I won't believe that games won't be lost. After the full lost season of 2004-2005, we lost 34 games in 12-13 season. What makes anyone think we won't lose games during the next round of CBA talks?

I think even Daly hinted that they may do that. NHL will know 100% whether they want to push it or not come September 2019. That's the deadline for the opt out of the current CBA.

NHL owners will get their expansion money. In fact, that $21.5 million that they each get should help with possible lockout. Suspect final payment for the Expansion Fee will be made before a work stoppage.

8. tony d

tony d Registered User Sponsor

Office Worker
    Hope we don't have another lockout. 4 lockouts in 25 yrs. is not good for any league. As to the World Cup of Hockey I liked the setup last time but realize they tweak it for the next 1.

9. gstommylee

as long as Fehr is director head of the NHLPA expect lockouts. This whole CBA issue is not about the players. Never is never will be. Its all about Egos and that Fehr can declared that he beat the NHL nothing else.

nofehr likes this.
  10. MinimaMoralia

MinimaMoralia Registered User

It would be pretty rad to see McMatthews again soon. Y’know, before Matthews signs in Edmonton of course.

11. Daximus

Daximus Aces Charles

Operator
    Just have a normal tournament with non-NHL players and all countries allowed. If you actually plan on replacing the Olympics that is what you do otherwise the Olympics will always remain the better best-on-best.

Have Canada, USA, Russia, Finland, Sweden and Czech Rep as automatically in and have the rest of the countries put together a team and form two pools with the top team in each pool going on to play in the actual tournament.

Pool A
    Canada
    Finland
    Czech Rep
    Qualifier A

Pool B
    USA
    Sweden
    Russia
    Qualifier B

Hold it in Canada every 2nd year and one of the other top host countries every other year. And lastly make it an absolute hockey fest. World Cup of Hockey if done right could replace the Olympics as best on best completely. But they really have to invest in making it a big event. Then eventually you have arena's bid on it.

12. JETZZZ

JETZZZ Registered User

It is a terrific idea, its just the World Cup is not the right spot for it. If there was a team NA young guns vs a team Europe young guns every all star break instead of this divisional 3 on 3 scrimmage, that would be fantastic. Leave the World Cup for national teams.

13. cutchemist42

cutchemist42 Registered User

People ignored the first one, they'll ignore this too. The buzz for the tourney was bad, and I think even the most ardent eater carriers found it tough to defend in the end

14. Edenjung

Edenjung Registered User

Good idea. but i would prefer it if we could do that at the olympics. Because in the beginning of the Olympic history in modern times, only amatures where allowed to participate. if we could just let it stay like it was this year it would be awesome. The hockey world cup could become something like the football world cup, more prestiges and awesome, with best on best hockey. But the olympics would be an oportunity for smaller countries to bloom and grow the game of hockey, and in the end that's what we all want.
    Germany had a little boom in ice-hockey, but due to the fact that most teams have an aceptance stop for new minor players because of lack of personel and good rinks we could not really profif from our silver medal (btw. all the persons who are saying that that is not worth anything, because we did not "earn" that, i have one thing to say: " Whatever") but
    german ice-hockey has it's own problems (who was the f**** i**** that sold the TV rights to Pay-TV? We germans hate pay-tv) and after they sold the Tv rights the people did not watch it anymore. They should go back to free-tv or atleast air the World cup on free tv and the highlights on Sportschau, our TV stations have the money to pay for the rights for all games [Telekom pays 1 million euros per year for all games online (yeah it's that little)] so we could have hockey on tv.

But yeah i am getting away from the topic sorry. :D

15. patnyrnyg

patnyrnyg Registered User

Well, the NHLPA hired him to do a job and he has done pretty well for players throughout his career. Why should he not play hardball? Owners did it for years.

16. patnyrnyg

No Team NA, no Team Europe, No Team KHL. National Teams or do not bother. Work it out with the KHL and the other European leagues so that every country can have access to all their best players. 10 teams. 2 pools of 5. Top 2 in each pool move to the semis. I know, pipe dream. They will do top-3 with byes for the pool winners, or top 4 in each pool. They'll want the extra games and the revenue. US, Canada, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, Slovakia automatic bids for 2020. If they want to have qualifiers for the last 3 spots, fine. If they want to name the next 3 countries in the IIHF rankings, fine.

But, I also want to see this become a regular event. Set it up to have every 4 years and set up a system for qualifying beginning in 2024. Even if it means full qualification tourneys. If they want to forego having the top 6 or 7 teams having to qualify because it would be a waste of time, that is fine. But revisit it every few years. If the Czechs or US stop producing NHL talent and you want to remove their automatic qualifier, then so be it.

I would also say alternate between North America and Europe every 4 years. In NA, you can have the US and Canada work together to split games. In Europe, maybe pair of countries. One year they have everything in Russia. Next time it is in Europe the Czechs and Slovaks split games. Then, the Swedes and Finns, etc. (I know, Finns are not Scandanavian, that is not the point).

17. AmericanDream

AmericanDream Adopted Canadian

absolutely false.

you don't think 25 additional NHL jobs isn't a big deal? Seattle has to hit a cap floor as well, you are talking about another $60-70 mil in salaries handed out on new/existing contracts...

the league is pushing to get this team in right away, having an expansion team enter the league will help both the owners and players..I do not see a work stoppage at all here, or at least one of any significant length as this franchise will be one of the main factors as to why,.

18. LadyStanley

LadyStanley RIP Fugu

As this is a NHL/NHLPA deal, they choose to exclude KHL players last time. Doubt that will change for 2020.

19. patnyrnyg

As much as I am for a World Cup over the Olympics for best on best, then this would ruin it. If they are going to go this route, call it the NHL International Championship or something along those lines. As I said before, the plan needs to begin NOW for it to be a regular event. If they are simply going to hold it at random times and change the format, it will never be taken seriously. If people know this will be the International Championship for best-on-best every 4 years (or 3 ala the Canada Cup), then it will start to be respected. So, 2020 in NA, 2024 in Russia, 2028 in NA, 2032 in Sweden/Finland. If the World Cup of Soccer was held, but nobody knew if and when the next one would take place and there was no consistency, I do not think it would carry the prestige it does in the soccer world.

20. Scandale du Jour

Scandale du Jour JordanStaal#1Fan

Supervisor, Business Intelligence (Sales)
    Home Page:
    They will not do that. It is an NHL thing for the NHL market. They will keep it in an NHL city for sure and probably in a EST city as well (TV money).

wirelessflyingcord and varsaku like this.
  21. varsaku

varsaku Registered User

They will never have it in Europe. This is purely to generate more revenue for the owners which they won’t get in Europe.

stlwahoo and wirelessflyingcord like this.
  22. LadyStanley

LadyStanley RIP Fugu

50% to the players/union. :D

varsaku likes this.
  23. edog37

edog37 Registered User

Fehr is vastly overrated. Baseball's economics & lack of a strong commissioner ensured Fehr would do well. Bettman will clean up again during the CBA talks. Contrary to what people on this board think, the owners love Bettman & think he's done a great job. There is never any discontent from the owners. Every box the owners set out for Bettman when he came in has been checked.

24. edog37

edog37 Registered User

He can try but Bettman is much better at this game. Plus, the owners already demonstrated they are willing to throw away a season to get what they want. They have a far greater resource pool than the players.

25. varsaku

varsaku Registered User

I agree, NHL owners have no fear of having a lockout since they know fans will always come crawling back. NHL doesn’t have nearly the same percentage of casual fans that other leagues have and would lose with a lockout.

stlwahoo and OmniCube like this.