Signing(s): Dalvin Cook signs a 5 year $63 million extension

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
$28 million guaranteed.

I'm happy that Cook will be here for a couple of more years. Although is this a good deal for an injury prone player? Someone on twitter said since the the amount of fully guaranteed, could be front loaded so if he struggles or keeps getting injured, might be easier to get rid of down the road. Is that true?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
$28 million guaranteed.

I'm happy that Cook will be here for a couple of more years. Although is this a good deal for an injury prone player? Someone on twitter said since the the amount of fully guaranteed, could be front loaded so if he struggles or keeps getting injured, might be easier to get rid of down the road. Is that true?
Depends on contract structure and if they need to cut him after year 3 what is the dead cap hit? You can always replace the RB position via the draft so even eating $5 mill in dead cap the replacement would cost you $1 mill so you’d still save over $5 mill by cutting Cook for example.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't think it's smart to invest big in RBs and this probably won't end well but I'm happy for Cook. He's a great player and by all accounts a great teammate.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
He'll be 30 at the end of the deal, so if he stays healthy he should produce at a high level right up to that.
RBs are tricky these days, seems like most teams don't want to pay them after that first five years.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I'd be willing to bet this contract doesn't get finished but for the first couple years it's not...terrible value.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'd be willing to bet this contract doesn't get finished but for the first couple years it's not...terrible value.
Per sources, his contract has $28 mill in guaranteed money.

So, his average was $12.4 mill per. $24.8 is 2 years avg so there is another $3.2 mill on top of that.

I doubt you will see him on the roster for years 4 and 5.

This is a 3 year deal in all likelihood. For a 2nd round pick making $1 mill per season over the 4 years, getting $28 mill in guaranteed money will push him to over $30 mill for his career if this is his final contract.

Barkley is getting like $27 mill on his rookie deal as the #2 pick in the draft as a comparison.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
$28 million guaranteed.

Cook scored 2 TDs against the Packers. He was one of the few Viking players that looked good.

Green Bay put 43 points up to today, even with 2 or 3 key drops by receivers. They could have scored 50+.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad