LeBrun: Dallas wants to keep Khubodin

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Dobby was the only thing I consistently liked about the team all season. I'm sad to see him go, but hope he gets a good opportunity elsewhere.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Has to be a tough spot for Khudobin.

-On one hand, he can stick around in Dallas, where he's played great and stays with a contender
-On the other hand, he's never made more than $2.5M in a season and, given his age, this could be his last opportunity to really cash in on the UFA market.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Has to be a tough spot for Khudobin.

-On one hand, he can stick around in Dallas, where he's played great and stays with a contender
-On the other hand, he's never made more than $2.5M in a season and, given his age, this could be his last opportunity to really cash in on the UFA market.

It's a very tough spot.

Brittle as he is, the Stars' brass appears to remain committed to Ben Bishop in goal which means Khudobin will never be more than a 1B at best.

Which he played to perfection these last few years, no question about it.

I would love to see him parlay that playoff run into a big payday, but at the same time I don't know how keen Dallas is on maintaning a platoon system in goal - or how much they're willing to offer Khudobin to stick around.

If he knows he can get more on the market, he absolutely deserves it and I wish him all the best.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
The article indicates the Stars brass wants to keep the tandem intact and I think that makes sense. That will depend on the market for Khudobin. If someone wants to open the vault for an aged career back-up he's gone.

#JustBenningsThings

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I hope he stays in Dallas. Hopefully, he will look at a recent departure - Matt Zucharello, who took the one more year for economic certainty but is doubtful to really be enjoying his time in Minny, who by the way, are looking for a goalie, and might be a destination for Dobby.

If he goes for the extra year someone offers, no one can stop him, but he seemed happy in Dallas and maybe that is worth something. That said, once those kind of statements (last offer will make me go to market....) as in the case of Zuch, it seems like it is pretty much over in Dallas for him. Sounds like they insulted him a bit and pride is also a thing for most players.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
He will want starter money. Good for him, he played his ass off in the playoffs. But If I'm Dallas, I don't know if I trust tossing him money to be my future goaltender. 34 years old. Had a good season for Dallas, but at the end of the day, he's been a career backup.
Well this "career backup" is better than some of those "everyday starters"

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I hope he stays in Dallas. Hopefully, he will look at a recent departure - Matt Zucharello, who took the one more year for economic certainty but is doubtful to really be enjoying his time in Minny, who by the way, are looking for a goalie, and might be a destination for Dobby.

If he goes for the extra year someone offers, no one can stop him, but he seemed happy in Dallas and maybe that is worth something. That said, once those kind of statements (last offer will make me go to market....) as in the case of Zuch, it seems like it is pretty much over in Dallas for him. Sounds like they insulted him a bit and pride is also a thing for most players.

Tbh this was how I think Dobby may have felt after they pulled him in favour of Bishop, for Game 5 against the Avs. :help:

He got them that far (even at that point it was considered a great run), only to have the head coach decide at the last minute to throw in the cold starter who'd been injured all series - and who wouldn't suit up again for the rest of the playoffs. :shakehead

Not a great vote of confidence for Khudobin, but I'm happy he was able to get past it and help the team get as far as they did afterwards.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
If im Dallas im seeing if someone wants to give-up anything decent for Bishop, and then rolling with Khudobin and a UFA for a year before Oettinger is ready

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
If im Dallas im seeing if someone wants to give-up anything decent for Bishop, and then rolling with Khudobin and a UFA for a year before Oettinger is ready

Why not just Khudobin and Oettinger, though?

He only saw limited minutes in the playoffs but I think he's ready to at the very least take on a backup role in Dallas. Don't think he needs another full year in the AHL. I'd rather they hand the reins to Point, and keep Oettinger in Dallas all season.

Maybe I'm rushing things, though. I'm no goalie coach. :laugh:

But I would rather see the Stars focus more on key RFAs like Hintz and Gurianov, than squabbling over nickels and dimes with Khudobin.

Hell, I wouldn't be opposed to them working on an new contract with Miro this offseason as well.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Why not just Khudobin and Oettinger, though?

He only saw limited minutes in the playoffs but I think he's ready to at the very least take on a backup role in Dallas. Don't think he needs another full year in the AHL. I'd rather they hand the reins to Point, and keep Oettinger in Dallas all season.

Maybe I'm rushing things, though. I'm no goalie coach. :laugh:

But I would rather see the Stars focus more on key RFAs like Hintz and Gurianov, than squabbling over nickels and dimes with Khudobin.

I dont know enough about Oettinger to say if he's ready. But if Stars fans say so im inclined to believe them.

If he is ready, I think him and Khudobin is a much better option than Bishop, given the latter's unreliability and what you could probably get in trade

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Career backup (albeit a very good backup) has a great playoff run and hits UFA. This has overpayment written all over.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Someone should sign him and Greiss. They would make a great 1A 1B for ~7.000 total

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Are you prepared to give him an average of those "everyday starter" money?
You mean the overpaid ones that teams are dumping on the market? Khubodin knows he is older and would likely take way less than some of these ridiculous sup par starters get as long as the years were there.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
You mean the overpaid ones that teams are dumping on the market? Khubodin knows he is older and would likely take way less than some of these ridiculous sup par starters get as long as the years were there.
Then they should go for it. I'm not saying he can't be a starter. I'm saying I can see why Dallas might be concerned with the asking price from Khubodin. And good for Khubodin if he's going to get starting money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad