Speculation: Dallas Stars popularity in Dallas

93Crazed101

Apr 27, 2017
Greater Dallas
Oh hell no. Especially not with Luka. He's really exciting.

But Dallas tends to like winners. So hopefully we'll get a bit more of a fan base from the run. But we'll never eclipse the mavericks or the rangers. Let alone the beast that is the cowboys.

Reactions: DieselPig

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Outside of the Cowboys ... winning matters. Mavs probably get the advantage because of Luka though.

The pandemic and no home games is hurting the Stars in terms of popularity right now. It typically stirs the city into a fever pitch. The Rangers are doing pretty terrible right now so I'd say they're more popular than them right now. It's constantly evolving depending on who is winning.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
I'm not a Dallas citizen. I don't live in Dallas or the Metroplex. The closest I've been to Texas is West Memphis, Arkansas.

But if I had to guess what Dallas sports is like (in the city proper, not the Metroplex), it's Dallas Cowboys >>> Dallas Mavericks > Dallas Stars >>>>> high school sports >>>>>>>> Southern Methodist athletics >>>>>>>>>> FC Dallas >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dallas Sidekicks ('cuz the last two don't even play in Dallas)

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
The Rangers are extremely popular, and if you start including colleges, SMU is not that popular. The vast majority of Metroplex residents are going to be Texas, OU, or A&M fans. Baylor, TCU, and Tech are probably easily more popular than SMU as well.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
I'll say that the Rangers do well outside of Dallas where the Stars don't. In East Texas it is Cowboys > Mavericks/Rangers > Stars clear as day.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I swear Texas is the only state where high school football is a "big 3".
I don't understand it.
I routinely go to Houston to make appearances and have to drive up to Dallas-FW to find anything Stars.
There's like this bubble around Dallas where people know they exist, and are fans along with a little pocket in Austin then a whole lot of wasted potential everywhere else.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I swear Texas is the only state where high school football is a "big 3".
I don't understand it.
I routinely go to Houston to make appearances and have to drive up to Dallas-FW to find anything Stars.
There's like this bubble around Dallas where people know they exist, and are fans along with a little pocket in Austin then a whole lot of wasted potential everywhere else.

High school football is our sports culture. It's my favorite.

Gemini

May 12, 2011
How was the team's popularity the last time they won the cup? Was it similar in that no one cared until they they were in the finals, then quickly stopped caring?

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
It is weird in that they have a solid crowd at all the games. They just don’t have the area wide presence.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Go Stars!

I remember my younger brother being a Minnesota North Stars fan since the Broten, Beaupre and Ciccarelli days.

Way back in the 1980s our mom bought him a Minnesota jersey with no numbers or decals on it. Just the Minnesota colours. I remember taking a black marker and writing a big 20 on the back of it along with Ciccarelli's name.

My brother wore it with such pride and growing up in Toronto he always hated the Leafs.:laugh:

Reactions: Smelling Salt

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
It is weird in that they have a solid crowd at all the games. They just don’t have the area wide presence.

Does any team in a big city have that? Dallas is really a massive place with 7M people in the metro region, 4th largest in the NHL.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
Does any team in a big city have that? Dallas is really a massive place with 7M people in the metro region, 4th largest in the NHL.
I would say a team like Chicago or the Rangers have a pretty big following in their town.

Famous Flames

Feb 16, 2004
Dallas

Houston will never root for a Dallas team, and vice versa. You would think they would make an exception where they don't have a team like hockey, but nope.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Houston will never root for a Dallas team, and vice versa. You would think they would make an exception where they don't have a team like hockey, but nope.

I grew up in Houston and I always preferred Dallas teams except in football.

But I think I was an anomaly in that regard.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
You've got that Houston stink. It doesn't surprise me.

:sarcasm:

Well I live in Miami now where, despite having an NHL team, the hockey scene is even worse :laugh:

And again, I prefer my slightly northern team (Tampa) much more than my local team.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The other day Tom Gaglardi said the Stars are something like 6th or 7th in the league in corporate sponsorship dollars. I know the AAC is one of the top revenue generating arenas in the league. The TV deal remains a very good one.

In short, f*** outside fans who want to criticize.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX

And yet, they drew 85K to the Winter Classic. Yes, maybe 25% was NSH and NHL general fans, but we got interviewed outside the stadium about whether we would ever think that many hockey fans were in Texas. It did seem, from what they were saying, that many fans came from Austin and other areas in Texas. At least 50% had to be from somewhere nearby. Many might have gone for the experience to say they had been there, others bandwagon fans because the Stars were hot then.

DFW, other than the Cowboys, is one of those winners get interest towns, including Mavs and Rangers, too. One example was yesterday's Dallas Morning News. Stars won game one, but the top headline was "Cowboys Play Today." Granted, there was a big highlight box just below that article giving the Stars pretty good play, but usually, they are on page 9 of sports (or with the reduced size, maybe page 4 or 5, but near the end.)

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I can share with you that NBC and the NHL are disputing the Neilsen numbers for the first 3 games in the Dallas market

Game 3 numbers were

Dallas 84,588 viewers
Tampa Bay 154,851 viewers

FOX-SW has always felt the numbers are lower but Neilsen is the barometer

Being on Channel 5 tonight should help - I can't see Celtics/Heat being much of a factor and the Rangers as well.

Famous Flames

Feb 16, 2004
Dallas
I can share with you that NBC and the NHL are disputing the Neilsen numbers for the first 3 games in the Dallas market

Game 3 numbers were

Dallas 84,588 viewers
Tampa Bay 154,851 viewers

FOX-SW has always felt the numbers are lower but Neilsen is the barometer

Being on Channel 5 tonight should help - I can't see Celtics/Heat being much of a factor and the Rangers as well.

I find that very hard to believe for Dallas. People are definitely talking about it, and I've watched the last two games from bars that were packed (such as it is nowadays) with people watching the game, wearing jerseys, etc. At least last night on McKinney, most bars were like that. Certainly not 1999/2000 level of excitement, but 85k seems ridiculously small for a metro area of 7.5 million.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad