Dallas Stars core

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
It's interesting how the Dallas Stars built their core group:

Tyler Seguin (acquired via trade: Loui Eriksson (2003 33rd ovr), Reilly Smith (2009 69th ovr), Joe Morrow (2011 23rd ovr by PIT)

Jamie Benn - 2007 129th overall

John Klingberg (2010 131st overall)

Miro Heiskanen (3rd overall, 2017)

Alex Radulov (signed via Free Agency)

Esa Lindell (2012 74th overall)

Ben Bishop (signed via Free Agency)

Jason Spezza (acquired vis Alex Chiasson 38th ovr, 2015 2nd round pick)
*Debatable if he's a 'core' guy now, but was for several season. Looks okay this year.

The Dallas Stars have had eight top 15 picks since 2009, and only Miro Heiskanen and Radek Faksa appears to be working out for Dallas.

Failures include:

Scott Glennie - 2009
Jack Campbell - 2010 (has carved out a career with LAK)
Jamie Oleksiak - 2011 (has carved out a career with PIT)

Still have time, but not looking great:
Valerie Nichuskin - 2013
Julius Honka - 2014
Denis Gurianov - 2015

Too soon to tell:
Riley Tufte - 2016

On the trade/FA end, they have done a great job in acquiring Methot, Johns, Janmark, Pitlick, Carrick, etc... But man if these guy could of hit a home run on a few of those draft picks, this team would look insanely better.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Nichushkin has shown a lot of promise at times but at other times looks lost out there or is trying to do too much. Also a great way to describe Gurianov's performance in the AHL. Honka has looked good all of preseason and in the 1 game he has been in. His defensive game isn't the greatest but hopefully they continue to play him in a sheltered role with Methot

Really hoping that Nichushkin-Spezza-Radulov can turn into a powerful secondary threat for us. They generated just our 2nd goal from someone not named Benn, Seguin, Radulov, or Klingberg last game so that's a promising start at least.

I'd say Faksa is more of a core guy than Spezza for us. Keep an eye on Jason Robertson as well. Could turn into a huge player/goal scorer one day.

Just think if we would have drafted Barzal over Gurianov and DeBrincat over Tufte

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
cutting Dallas slack for 2009, Cowen and MSP went after Glennie. The only notable player was Ellis and de Haan in the next 7 picks
2010, I would've taken Fowler
2011, cutting them slack for Oleksiak. Miller, Armia, Beaulieu, McNeill next 4 picks
2013, Nichushkin was right pick without hindsight
2014, DeAngelo was the only D taken along with Fleury and Honka in the entire 1st round
2015, would have taken Barzal lol

so yeah they missed out on Barzal and Fowler. Heiskanen was ranked #1 in 2017 for me, so they got lucky there

edit: 2012 they took Faksa, which is a great pick (better than my pick Wilson). 2018 to be seen, Kaut over Dellandrea

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
cutting Dallas slack for 2009, Cowen and MSP went after Glennie. The only notable player was Ellis and de Haan in the next 7 picks
2011, cutting them slack for Oleksiak. Miller, Armia, Beaulieu, McNeill next 4 picks
2014, DeAngelo was the only D taken along with Fleury and Honka in the entire 1st round

so yeah they missed out on Barzal and Fowler. Heiskanen was ranked #1 in 2017 for me, so they got lucky there

Should've taken DeBrincat over Tufte as well in 2016. I doubt Tufte ever even gets close to the player DeBrincat is. But Nill was/is all about size so

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Should've taken DeBrincat over Tufte as well in 2016. I doubt Tufte ever even gets close to the player DeBrincat is. But Nill was/is all about size so
yeah I only looked at 1st round picks

Benn and Klingberg actually lifts up their overall drafting to be above-average even with their bad 1st rounds

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep

edit: 2012 they took Faksa, which is a great pick (better than my pick Wilson). 2018 to be seen, Kaut over Dellandrea

I was big on Ellis and Fowler, they would have been my picks. Imagine a Stars D with those 2 along with Lindell, Kling and Heisk. Set for a generation.

Barzal stings but a lot of teams passed on him and Guri still has some hope of developing into a secondary scoring winger of sorts.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Should have signed Grabner this summer. Think he would have been a great depth and PK guy for them. He creates tons of trouble for the opposing team with his great defensive stick and insane speed.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
top 8 for 2010 was probably something like

Hall Seguin Skinner Granlund Fowler Kuznetsov Tarasenko Connolly

Russian factor smh

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Problem that I see with their core and a big reason why they'll never be a true contender:

Their all different ages from 20- mid 30's.

Its very hard to do any damage when some guys are entering thier primes and other guys are in the twilight.

Direction, cohesiveness is very hard when a team's core is all over in terms of age.

Most true contenders build their team up from the ground, developing and growing as a young group into their prime.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Problem that I see with their core and a big reason why they'll never be a true contender:

Their all different ages from 20- mid 30's.

Its very hard to do any damage when some guys are entering thier primes and other guys are in the twilight.

Direction, cohesiveness is very hard when a team's core is all over in terms of age.

Most true contenders build their team up from the ground, developing and growing as a young group into their prime.

aside from Spezza who is not a core piece. None of their guys are in their twilight.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
aside from Spezza who is not a core piece. None of their guys are in their twilight.
Bishop and radulov are over 30 and could definitely be classified as twilight or at least of of their prime.

On the point though, the "core" is spread over 12 years(not including Spezza) which makes continual competitiveness very difficult

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Should I go start the NJ drafting thread? Lets get the entire front page full of wach teams draft success/failures...

I dont see anything special in terms of how theyre built. Draft picks, trades, and free agency. Okay and?

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Funny part is Dallas’s biggest issue holding them back is the lack of secondary scoring, which could have been solved if they took the most obvious player the last five drafts.

Honka -> Larkin
Gurianov -> Barzal/Connor
Tufte -> Debrincat

The only guy we took in the past five drafts that wasn’t a reach was Heiskanen and he’s worked out great.

Reactions: jetsforever

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
They've gotten a good core through unconventional means, but better drafting could have helped with their depth.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The Stars don't have much going on outside their top guys. It does not help that Radulov is 32, Bishop 31 and Benn 29.

They are just a poorly built team with no depth and one of the weakest prospect pools in the league. In the Central that is not going to get them anywhere.

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
When you have elite forwards like Seguin, Benn and Radulov and then elite defencemen like Klingberg and Heiskanen only the sky is the limit!

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
[KEVS CERTIFIED]

Jim Nill. Not a good hockey GM.

His first move as the new Dallas Stars GM was to give up a 6th round pick for Ottawa Senators' defenseman Sergei Gonchar. While Gonchar did manage to put up 23 points in 79 games for the Stars, he was later traded to Montreal for Travis Moen. Moen played for a total of 57 games in Dallas and scored 3 goals. Guys being traded away and traded for, new friendships being made just to be taken away. You have to wonder, what these kinds of moves made to the team spirit... great job, Jim.

Now as for the rest of his trades, there are some bad, some good. No-one is perfect. Sometimes trades backfire. Not a biggie, happens to everyone. These are the ones I'll give him credit for:

Dallas Stars acquireDateLos Angeles Kings acquire

Dallas_Stars.gif
Ben Bishop
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
May 9, 2017
2017 4th round pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Anaheim Ducks acquireDateDallas Stars acquire

Anaheim_Ducks.gif
Patrick Eaves
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 24, 2017
2017 conditional 2nd round pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Dallas Stars acquireDateChicago Blackhawks acquire

Dallas_Stars.gif
Patrick Sharp
Stephen Johns
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
July 10, 2015
Trevor Daley
Ryan Garbutt
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Detroit Red Wings acquireDateDallas Stars acquire

Detroit_Red_Wings.gif
Erik Cole
2015 conditional 3rd round pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
March 1, 2015
Mattias Backman
Mattias Janmark
2015 2nd round pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Dallas Stars acquireDateOttawa Senators acquire

Dallas_Stars.gif
Jason Spezza
Ludwig Karlsson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
July 1, 2014
Alex Chiasson
Alexander Guptill
Nicholas Paul
2015 2nd round pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Boston Bruins acquireDateDallas Stars acquire

Boston_Bruins.gif
Loui Eriksson
Joe Morrow
Reilly Smith
Matt Fraser
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
July 4, 2013
Tyler Seguin
Rich Peverley
Ryan Button
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

And these are just bad:

Dallas Stars acquireDateEdmonton Oilers acquire

Dallas_Stars.gif
Shawn Horcoff
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
July 4, 2013
Philip Larsen
2016 7th round pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Dallas Stars acquireDateBuffalo Sabres acquire

Dallas_Stars.gif
Jhonas Enroth
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 11, 2015
Anders Lindback
2016 conditional 3rd round pick
Buffalo_Sabres.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Arizona Coyotes acquireDateDallas Stars acquire

Arizona_Coyotes.gif
Alex Goligoski
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 16, 2016
2016 5th round pick
Dallas_Stars.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Dallas Stars acquireDateLas Vegas Knights acquire

Dallas_Stars.gif
Marc Methot
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 26, 2017
Dylan Ferguson
2020 2nd round pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Now his record at the UFA-market. Same story, some bad, some good. I'll just list the notable signings here and let you fellas do the thinking. Good, bad, or just meh?

Alexander Radulov.

What? Yeah. That's literally it. Radulov is the only guy worth mentioning. Yeah yeah, I know Nill signed guys like Pitlick, but they aren't really game changers.

How about his drafting? Nill's first selection as the Dallas Stars GM was Valeri Nichuskin, 10th overall pick in the 2013 draft. It didn't seem like a bad pick back then. But looking back, he could've gone with Domi or Wennberg, the next two wingers taken in the draft. Morrisey, Pulock and Zadorov were available as well.

His next pick was #29, and he took Jason Dickinson. Not as bad a pick as it could've been. But still, Chicago took Hartman with the next pick. You know what they say, it's a lottery after the first three or so picks. But wait, there is more.

Julius Honka #14. Could've drafted Sanheim or DeAngelo. Available forwards: Larkin, Schmaltz, Fabbri, Pastrnak.
Denis Gurianov #12. Could've drafted DeBrusk, Barzal, Connor, Boeser, Konecny. Available defenders: Chabot, Juulsen.
Riley Tufte #25. Could've drafted Thompson, Kyrou, DeBrincat, Girard.
Heiskanen #3, Oettinger #26, Dellandrea #23. Too early to tell.

Between 2013 and 2016 Nill drafted 29 players. Those players have played 400 games in the NHL, combined. For example Winnipeg's draftees from the same time period have played 1082 games in the NHL, and some of them in key-roles. That's just bad drafting.

So you have a GM, who can't really trade, draft or sign good UFA-players. You have an aging core, and maybe 5-8 years until it all comes crashing down.

The only way this team will ever amount to anything, is by letting Nill go. He had his chance, he's had plenty of time, and he's got nothing to show for it.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I guess if Dallas loses Spezza but grabs someone like Duchene in the off season could be a great move for the team.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
weakish depth(4th/3rd line)and not enough defensively responsible players.
This could easily be fixed in a year or two with a couple trades/good drafting.
Dallas could easily become top 5 team with a few good moves.

Reactions: Freeeeedom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad