GDT: Dallas Stars @ Calgary Flames - Game Four

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Really disappointed in Hanifin's game in particular. Andersson also made some poor plays with the puck, but Hanifin's gaps without it are just poor. Get Kylington in there.
Dallas' Dmen made similarly egregious mistakes only their forwards were able to pounce better on ours. I lost count at how delayed offsides we had in OT just out of pure tiredness. We need fresh legs, and Ward needs to realize that

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Had a few tech issues and couldn't watch the game. In OT the NHL app was stating both teams were playing with an empty net. Were both rolling with 6 skaters or was the app glitching? It also altered scores in the 3rd. Dallas tied 4-4 then it said 3-4 again before switching back to 4-4 with a different Star credited for the goal. Looking at the shots on goal...DAMN.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I agree.

It sure would help build some trickle-up if our 4th line didn't need to be sheltered because of Rinaldo. Why is Ward so stubborn?

And not just this, but wtf is wrong with our defence? So many times they can’t make a simple outlet pass without f***ing it up!

Rinaldo isn’t an nhler plain and simple, but wtf happened to Giordano?! Guy is a mess in his own zone and has lost so much of his passing ability and speed. He was average this year for his standards but HOLY SHIT!

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
get used to rinardo. we're losing because they're bigger and tougher, we need rinaldo to bring physicality
Honestly he should be playing. Dallas has a quick D, Oliver would help the matchup for us.
we need forbort to anchor the third pair. he's a steady dman. very, very steady

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Had a few tech issues and couldn't watch the game. In OT the NHL app was stating both teams were playing with an empty net. Were both rolling with 6 skaters or was the app glitching? It also altered scores in the 3rd. Dallas tied 4-4 then it said 3-4 again before switching back to 4-4 with a different Star credited for the goal. Looking at the shots on goal...DAMN.
Well out of all of that, the shots were accurate. 61 to 40 or something silly. Basically open season on Talbot.

There was a Dickinson goal called good on the ice but then it was overturned due to goalie interference - that's probably the first instance where you would have seen it 4-4, then 3-4. Then Pavelski tied it for real.

Reactions: Bondurant

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
it all comes down to who wants to quit and get out of the bubble first...

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I'm a bit scared of the expansion draft as our 2 best playoff performers are consistently Brodie and Bennett and I think both have a high chance of being exposed the rest of this team needs to play at their level if we have any hope to grow as a playoff team

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Y'know what, all things considered it was a very even game until the Flames took 5 straight penalties (and even then we took the lead). It killed all of our rhythm and let them come in and take the lead off of us, after the break OT was very even and the Flames nearly won sans a broken stick. This looked like a team who cared, especially the top line.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I'm a bit scared of the expansion draft as our 2 best playoff performers are consistently Brodie and Bennett and I think both have a high chance of being exposed the rest of this team needs to play at their level if we have any hope to grow as a playoff team

I have some doubt on Bennett before the playoffs. it's gone now. I would protect him ahead of a lot of the forward and it's not even close... Brodie depends on if he wants to come back but he would be 1 or 2 on the list

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Gaudreau and Monahan had good games, Lindholm was good on the PP. But also... shit he has to get that clear in the third or at least try to control the puck instead of taking the sharp angle dump out. Flames were all out of sorts at that point. If things continue I'm fine with the top line being intact, they had dangerous chances.

Backlund looked good, Mangiapane was... eh honestly. We have a love affair with he and guys like Andersson but he wasn't spectacular. He was honestly the weakest link of that line, he really needs to be able to stay on his feet. Rieder looked legitimately great as well.

Dube came in hot and stuck with it for most of the game, he was very dangerous and looked very confident. Made good chances. Shame he got stuck with the broken stick in the end of the game. Lucic was... eh? He carried the puck well, he dished it, but he struggled to get it out of the zone. I don't think there's much to say about Bennett other than "wow".

Ryan played good, Quine looked vaguely dangerous but had bad giveaways, I don't want Rinaldo n teh lineup anymore. Most of the d-core was pretty good.

The big thing for me is that the Flames have to be much stronger in front of the net. They were horrendous at clearing the front of the net. Look at the tying goal by Pavelski, iirc Giordano comes out to challenge the shooter leaving Benn and Pavelski wide open in front. It's been happening all series and it has to be better. And that's why Kylington can't come into this series, he is very weak on the stick and there is zero chance he can clear the front of the net better than anyone we currently have out there. Flames also can't collapse and try to protect the lead like they did today. We are terrible at getting it out of our zone, there is zero reason we should try and play in our own zone. Bennett and Dube were our best players along the boards today. Also weird decision by Ward to leave the line that just got scored on out for another tying goal after the initial one was called off.

ohuhu7

Jan 26, 2019
Just doesn't feel like they have it in them to be honest. A 2-2 series tie against a team flailing around as much as we are. Doubtful they'd get past the Canucks in current form, next to impossible to get by Knights or Avs.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Worst case scenario is I can enjoy summertime again starting next Sunday.

Hide_the_Pain_Harold_Banner.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DFF

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Yet again, Flames are a house of cards propped up by goaltending, special teams and goals from their bottom six.

Abysmal 5on5 effort from their "top" line, defense certainly not "pretty-good": Gio terrible, Forbot terrible, Andersson a major let down, Hanifin meh, not terrible but unable to make a difference, Gus kinda ok for his role, Brodie a lone bright spot because he can at least keep up with the pace.

Monahan has to be the least effective 1C still playing, Lindholm may as well not play. Canes fans were right. Mangi tries but is so weak against bigger Dallas players. Wasnt Ryan supposed to be good enough to step up if needed? Dressing Rinaldo is a joke.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Flames really should have the mindset that being tied 2-2 is a good thing based on overall play in the series. Tkachuk is a big story moving forward.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Still pretty mad about this one. 11 more seconds ffs

Dallas might not be a top contender but they're still a good team. Not sure why the Flames seem to think their opponents are just going to roll over for them.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Even though I'm lost I feel very confident moving forward. We are 1-0-1 without Tkachuk and managed 4 goals without him. If he returns before Tuesday I feel even more confident in the Flames chances than before. The top line was motoring at 5v5 today. Again, our biggest issue was clearing our own zone and clearing the front of our net, well, that and discipline. That's the type of stuff that can be worked through as a team and we can still win. All this moping shit is weak after the effort the Flames put in. Imagine the difference in the game if we can have Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm instead of Rieder - Backlund- Lindholm out in the final 20 seconds, and we could then have a second defensive line with Rieder - Ryan - Dube or something after. Having Tkachuk back will improve our chances of winning drastically, but this team can win without him.

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->