Pre-Game Talk: Dallas Stars @ Buffalo Sabres 3PM 10.14.2019

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
**** TODAY'S GAME IS A 3PM START ****

Buffalo Sabres DFS: Sabres 2nd Line Should Excel Against Dallas
Buffalo Sabres vs. Dallas Stars - 10/14/19 NHL Pick, Odds, and Prediction

The Dallas Stars come into this matchup with a 1-4-1 record, and they will be looking to rebound after dropping their recent home game against the Washington Capitals, 4-1.

The Buffalo Sabres come into this matchup with a 4-0-1 record, and they will be looking to continue their success after winning their recent home game against the Florida Panthers, 3-2 in a shootout.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
source.gif

Go Buffalo!!

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
Dallas is gonna be hungry...I'm hoping Ralph gives Dahlin a chance at more minutes today. Something tells me he'll be extra motivated and is the type of player to take a "benching" seriously.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
No Goal.

Dahlin's better.

With that said, I'm concerned about this one. I think Dallas is a pretty good team with a good coach, and they're bound to snap out of this early-season funk. Just don't feel great about today, but hope I'm wrong. 4-2 loss, followed by a (Mediocre) Goalie Controversy Thread.

Seguin
Hintz
Klingberg
Pavelski

Skinner
Eichel

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Hoping Ullmark goes again.

Shutdown their best player and you got a good shot; Roope Hintz!

Predicting a L here though. I think that Dallas team has everything it takes to go far this year once they get going and they reallly won't want to drop to 1-5-1.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Curious to see if the Scandella/Joker pair continues getting the toughest defensive deployment like last game. They took it over from McCabe/Risto. Was it a one off tactical adjustment for that game? Or a new trend?

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I expect to see adjustments in the PP after going 0fer against the panthers. Teams are quickly picking up what works against BUF.

Dahlin 2 Eichel

Sep 21, 2013
Roaming The Sewers
I expect to see adjustments in the PP after going 0fer against the panthers. Teams are quickly picking up what works against BUF.
I don’t believe this to be true at all. We are running a PP with a lot of skill. We will have dominate games and not dominate games on the PP. can’t expect to run at 64% all the time.

If teams could solve buffalos PP in 4 games then why has it been 10 years to solve the Ovi PP.

Reactions: kundahlini

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Curious to see if the Scandella/Joker pair continues getting the toughest defensive deployment like last game. They took it over from McCabe/Risto. Was it a one off tactical adjustment for that game? Or a new trend?

Marco & Joker got more defensive zone starts, but their deployment was far from the toughest. When considering the opposition that they played against, Risto McCabe again played the matchup role as they played the majority of minutes against the Barkov line. Not sure why, but it appears that Q decided to deploy the Barkov line in a much more defensive role that usual (they had as many D zone starts in the last game as all their other games combined).

upload_2019-10-14_10-30-53.png

Our other two pairs had a fairly balanced deployed from a competition standpoint, but as you pointed out, Marco Joker were given the d-zone starts while Dahlin Miller were given those tasty o-zone starts more often than not.

Then late in the game protecting a 1 goal lead, Risto-McCabe got the vast majority of the minutes with Marco, Joker, and Miller spelling them. Of the final 7 1/2 minutes of the game, Risto played 4:43 and McCabe played 4:19. While I'm not opposed to this type of situational usage from time to time, I'm hoping that he eventually lightens the load, as this type of heavy leaning has worn out Risto and McCabe in the past.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I've only seen them set up Eichel for the one timer a few times. It seems like a bunch of different stuff is working for them on the PP. I wonder if they'll try this look again.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Marco & Joker got more defensive zone starts, but their deployment was far from the toughest. When considering the opposition that they played against, Risto McCabe again played the matchup role as they played the majority of minutes against the Barkov line. Not sure why, but it appears that Q decided to deploy the Barkov line in a much more defensive role that usual (they had as many D zone starts in the last game as all their other games combined).

View attachment 264303

Our other two pairs had a fairly balanced deployed from a competition standpoint, but as you pointed out, Marco Joker were given the d-zone starts while Dahlin Miller were given those tasty o-zone starts more often than not.

Then late in the game protecting a 1 goal lead, Risto-McCabe got the vast majority of the minutes with Marco, Joker, and Miller spelling them. Of the final 7 1/2 minutes of the game, Risto played 4:43 and McCabe played 4:19. While I'm not opposed to this type of situational usage from time to time, I'm hoping that he eventually lightens the load, as this type of heavy leaning has worn out Risto and McCabe in the past.
Nice job fleshing things out further and giving a better and broader context to the minutes.

They eventually need to trust the other pairs with more minutes. As you point out that usage has worn down McCabe/Risto. I’m guessing the urge to “protect” Joker and Dahlin is a big reason for the minutes disparity

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I really don’t understand why they insist on doing the Columbus Day game during the day. 80% of society still has to go to work.

Yeah, I’m the old man yelling at clouds.
Canadians are off today. Its our Thanksgiving weekend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad