Prospect Info: Dallas Stars 2020 Draft Scouting Reports

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Brock Otten on Yevgeni Oksentyuk

2. Yevgeni Oksentyuk - Left Wing - Flint Firebirds
He may be pint sized (5'7, 160lbs), but the Belarussian import is a highly effective offensive player. He finished just outside the Top 10 in the OHL in even strength points per game this year (0.83), and was the leading scorer for Flint, a team that had earned home ice advantage in the West had the playoffs actually occurred. While Oksentyuk may not possess the elite top end speed that you like to see from a smaller player, he makes up for it in other areas. The first is in his overall agility. His edgework is both powerful and fluid, allowing him to change direction on a dime. He's also very sturdy on his skates for a 5'7 kid, with a strong lower body that allows him to protect the puck. When you combine these things with elite hands and playmaking ability, you have a very dynamic player who is difficult to pin down in the offensive end. He is far from a perimeter player too, finding a lot of success from driving the net and playing through the middle of the ice, something that scouts will no doubt like and bodes well for success at the higher levels. This is a kid that I'd have a lot of time for inside the top four rounds this year. The underlying statistics match the eye test, which he passes. His five on five production was better than the likes of Akil Thomas, Ryan Suzuki, and Phil Tomasino this year, all players considered to be among the best playmakers in the OHL.

OHL Prospects: Sunday Top 10 - 2020 NHL Draft Re-Entries

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
So quick recap -

#30 - C Mavrik Bourque
#123 - C/LW Antonio Stranges
#154 - C Daniel Ljungman
#162 - LW Yevgeni Oksentyuk
#185 - G Remi Poirier

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
EjwgAHEVkAAlTmm

@BrockOtten posted by @TomDorsa on Twitter

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
After reading those scouting reports I’m very pleasantly surprised. I’ve always been a fan of drafting like this in the later rounds. The odds of these picks playing NHL games are slim no matter who you draft. I’d rather draft the highly skilled guy with a 10% chance of making it to the NHL rather than the big, tough, low skill guy with 15% chance of making it.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
He distinguishes himself with his maturity and high-end ability to anticipate developing plays. Ljungman's best weapon is his wrist shot. For a player on the thin side, Ljungman generates a lot of pop on his wrister, and if he has a little time and space to place it, he's not going to miss. There are few players at Ljungman's age that can boast his defensive credibility. -EliteProspects 2020 NHL Draft Guide

Ljungman's season has started pretty quickly. He's a U19 playing in the U20 league, and through 9 games, he has 10 goals and 14 total points.

So far he has played 1 game in the SHL, but he only played 2:35 in that game.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Poiriers highlights look interesting. Alot of athletic saves . Positioning seems also pretty fine and he looks confident but yeah he does not move out of the net to cut off angles like at all.

marty182

Jul 19, 2013
Last edited:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Today Oksentyuk's team played with my hometown team. He played in the 3rd line, didn't play on pp, had few shots on goal, one time hits post and have a primarily assist on the first goal. His team wins 2-1.

and here is his the first interview after draft. its in russian, but hope that google translate will help you)
«Щечин досмотрел до четвертого раунда и уснул». Первое интервью Евгения Оксентюка после драфта

Thanks!

Here's some stuff from it:

- Oksentyuk mentions he was rooting for Dallas in the Final cause of Radulov and Khudobin. He's a big fan of them and they're his 2 favorite players on the team (yikes no more Khudobin). We knew this tho from the above video

- Says Dallas contacted him right after he was drafted and they agreed to talk more in the coming days.

- Dallas did not interview/speak to him prior to the draft. Several other teams did

I know its wayyy too early to even say or think this, but I really feel the Stars have at least a couple of steals in this draft. I genuinely feel Bourque and Oksentyuk will be good NHLers. Stranges is a wildcard and if he works out then he could be great, but I feel these 2 are the safer bets at becom

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
50. Mavrik Bourque, C, 18 (Dallas Stars — 30th overall, 2020)
Previous ranking: N/A
I have big expectations for Bourque, who had a quiet QMJHL preseason but has the tools to become one of the top forwards in the CHL this year. Bourque’s a slick, dynamic playmaker who’s at his best running and directing offence, getting touches and playing to make a difference offensively. When he’s aggressive and there’s no hesitation in his execution, he can pick teams apart. And even when things aren’t clicking for him, he’s one of those players who can be counted on to be engaged without the puck.

NHL prospect rankings: Wheeler's top 50, post-2020 draft edition

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
50. Mavrik Bourque, C, 18 (Dallas Stars — 30th overall, 2020)
Previous ranking: N/A
I have big expectations for Bourque, who had a quiet QMJHL preseason but has the tools to become one of the top forwards in the CHL this year. Bourque’s a slick, dynamic playmaker who’s at his best running and directing offence, getting touches and playing to make a difference offensively. When he’s aggressive and there’s no hesitation in his execution, he can pick teams apart. And even when things aren’t clicking for him, he’s one of those players who can be counted on to be engaged without the puck.

NHL prospect rankings: Wheeler's top 50, post-2020 draft edition

3 and 4 on that list falling to the Central makes me sick.

Reactions: Satan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad