Prospect Info: Dallas Stars 2020 Draft Scouting Reports

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
I'm thinking there must have been someone else in on Chinahkov, but hard to say which team. Only a few have much of a presence in Russia and, certainly, Omsk is in a pretty remote part of that country.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
From Dobber

Jérémie Poirier is the ultimate risk-reward defender in the 2020 draft class. He has high-level puck skills and the ability to run a powerplay. For as much good that Poirier brings in the offensive zone, the bad that he brings to the ice in his own zone seemed to grow as the year wore on. His consistency in the defensive zone was suboptimal at best at times and that fact has caused him to fall on many draft boards. Once considered the second-best defender in this draft, his offensive upside still could make that a reality but the likelihood that he reaches those heights has diminished. He has the vision, playmaking ability, and offensive creativity to cement himself as a threat to create offense whenever he touches the ice. The issue is that because of his high-event playing style, to put it kindly, creates offense for both teams. Whichever team drafts Poirier is swinging for the fences and only the future will tell whether or not it was worth it. Tony Ferrari

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Antonio Stranges went in the second round, 21st overall at the 2018 OHL Priority Selection Draft. Most analysts predicted he would play for the US NTDP before heading to the University of Michigan. Instead, the London Knights took a risk on Stranges, and it paid off as he joined the team. He put up 13 goals and 21 assists for 34 points in 66 games in limited ice time as a rookie last season. He also added two assists in 11 playoff games. This year, Stranges’ offensive numbers have improved slightly with 19 goals and 21 assists for 40 points in 61 games before the season was suspended. Stranges started out the season very well but seemed to tail off as it went along. His ice time was cut as games became more important. This is not unusual though, as the Knights often bring their young prospects along slowly.

Stranges, a Plymouth, Michigan native played in the Little Caesar’s system. When he was still just 15-years-old he put up 22 points in 12 games for the Under-16 club. He also played in 11 games for the Under-18 team. Stranges also played in the famous Quebec PeeWee Tournament in 2013-14.

Antonio Stranges Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #50

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
That skating in the shootouts is so absurd but it seems to work so well

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
What's Starry's scouting report on him? Selfish and dumb. Skilled but naive defensively. Where do you stand on him?

I think he's extremely talented, but suffers from minor-midget-superstar syndrome. When he was younger, he could singled handedly win hockey games with his skill, and it has hurt his transition to becoming a star in the OHL.

Stranges has top-5 puck skills and technical skating in this draft, but he is guilty of overusing both in game situations. He will try to deke out one too many players or enter his 10-2 skating stance for no reason. If he can learn to better use his teammates and stop trying to do too much, it will go a long way.

He was also given a large amount of tough love this season by Dale Hunter. Despite being immensely talented, Dale Hunter would rarely place him with other scorers or give him powerplay time. It's criminal that he didn't get a regular shift with Connor McMichael, because every time they were on the ice together there was a scoring chance. Even without McMichael, he was a consistent 5v5 threat. However, he was also a consistent 5v5 liability defensively due a lack of effort.

I think he's the definition of boom/bust prospect. He has a very real potential to become an NHL star. He has the puck skills of Mitch Marner. However, his defensive/strength/effort issues are a major hurdle to overcome. I think realistically, he could end up being something like Sonny Milano.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Finally back from my appointments. Thanks for posting so much stuff.

I was really excited when I checked Twitter and saw it was a London Knight. Great organization, more Brock Otten content which is fantastic, and my first though was Starry. I love that we have a local fan on the board.

Reactions: Satan

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Stranges seems exactly like the type of player you take late. You can't ask for anything better than someone gifted with natural talent and skill. Yes his compete level seems to be his downfall, and he may never overcome that. Hopefully falling this far in the draft motivates and helps him with an attitude change.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
It's really starting to feel like a change in philosophy. They're really focusing on skill more so than the past.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Also, please read that profile ... one of the meanest and funniest critiques I've seen in a draft profile.

Physically as weak as a 10-year-old child.

HAHAHA

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Also, please read that profile ... one of the meanest and funniest critiques I've seen in a draft profile.

Physically as weak as a 10-year-old child.

HAHAHA
Hahah take that 9 year old (and under) scum

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Undrafted in last year’s NHL Draft, Yevgeni Oksentyuk was drafted fifth overall by the Flint Firebirds in the 2019 CHL Import Draft. The Belarussian forward made his way to North America and proved that he should not be overlooked by NHL general managers for the second year in a row. Oksentyuk scored 33 goals and 45 assists for 78 points in 58 games with Flint. He also played for Belarus at the D1A IIHF World Junior Championships, scoring one goal and six assists for seven points in five tournament games. Oksentyuk had the most assists in the tournament and helped Belarus to a third-place finish.

In 2018-19, Oksentyuk played for Shakhter Soligorsk in the top Belarussian men’s league. He scored six goals and 12 assists for 18 points in 49 games. Oksentyuk won the country’s Best Young Player Award. He also played in the IIHF Under 18 World Championships, picking up three goals and three assists for six points in five games. He was named a top-three player on his team. Okstentyuk also scored one goal in five games at the D1A IIHF World Junior Championships, helping Belarus to a second-place finish in the tournament.

Yevgeni Oksentyuk Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #110

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Seems like a significant change in philosophy for what type of players take ... but you know Nill and his boy McDonnell aren't leaving without multiple OHLers (not a complaint).

Reactions: Kipper 17 and Satan

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Oksentyuk (based on his highlight reel), looks like a blast to watch. Also looks super confident

Reactions: Satan
Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
I'm liking this draft, load up on skill hoping 1-2 work out and leave the acquisition of physically-gifted, defensive players for free agency and trades, where they are much cheaper to acquire than the aforementioned skill guys.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
Watching Dellandrea highlights with Flint I always said to myself “Damn, this Oksentyuk kid looks great.” Glad we could get him in the later rounds!

Reactions: Starry Knight

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Brock Otten on Antonio Stranges

22. Antonio Stranges - Left Wing - London Knights
Oh Antonio, how do we rank you? The upside is tremendous. The likelihood of him reaching that upside certainly seems less likely than it did a year ago. I think nearly all of us in the scouting community had very high expectations for Stranges this year, but it was Luke Evangelista who broke out as a top scoring line option because of his more well rounded game. This saw Stranges relegated to the third and fourth line at various points of the year, and even saw him riding the bench at times as a consequence for turnovers or poor play. By now, everyone is familiar with Stranges' skill level. His puckhandling ability and creativity are near the top of this OHL draft class. His unique skating style (think Jeremy Bracco, but more powerful) allows him to protect the puck as he cuts his way across the blueline. Stranges also possesses one of the better backhands that I've seen come through the OHL. It might honestly be his preferred method of shot release and he scores a lot this way, elevating the puck quickly and with a velocity that surprises goaltenders. But there are a lot of warts here. Not everyone believes that Stranges' skating style will translate well (just as they were skeptical of Bracco). Additionally, he can be very turnover prone, especially in the neutral zone. Aggressive defenders step up to stop him before he can cross the blueline and he will often attempt to play through, rather than dump the puck in. His overall vision and decision making need work. Additionally, Stranges' defensive zone work needs a major upgrade and is one of the reasons why Hunter just wasn't able to trust him consistently. I also think he's going to need to interview really well with NHL teams who are going to ask him tough questions, such as why he believes he was cut from the U.S.' Hlinka/Gretzky team this summer. Again, the upside is very high. But there are also so many question marks. For that reason, Stranges is more of a fourth round selection for me.

OHL Prospects: My Final Top 50 OHL Players for the 2020 NHL Entry Draft - Part 3: 30-11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->