Dallas Stars 2013 draft review

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
Anyone notice the grades are up for the 2013 class with the prospects added to the depth chart?

Any reason why Nichushkin is down as a C and not RW? Would be nice if he could play there, but I've not seen him mentioned as being able to.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
There was talk he might be able to play center at some point but right now he is a winger through and through. I hope they correct that mistake.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Nichushkin - 8.5C
Dickinson - 7.5C
Elie - 6.5C
Desrosiers - 7.5D
Hansson - 7.0C
Paul - 6.0C
Ully - 7.0C
Paulovic - 6.0D
Makela - 6.5C

I like it.

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
Anyone notice the grades are up for the 2013 class with the prospects added to the depth chart?

Any reason why Nichushkin is down as a C and not RW? Would be nice if he could play there, but I've not seen him mentioned as being able to.

He's listed differently on a lot of the things I've read. He'll be playing wing for now though.

Primetimey*

He played LW at the Under 18's and RW at the World Juniors, from the games I have seen. No idea about the KHL however.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
Nichushkin - 8.5C
Dickinson - 7.5C
Elie - 6.5C
Desrosiers - 7.5D
Hansson - 7.0C
Paul - 6.0C
Ully - 7.0C
Paulovic - 6.0D
Makela - 6.5C

I like it.

Those all look about what would be expected. Well, maybe a little high on Dickinson, but the rest are spot on.

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
I dunno about anyone else but Dickinson's hands and agility for his size look elite to me.

One clip on his highlights have him turning on a dime and planting a checker on his backside.

Now for someone who shows that much ability there are obviously some other issues preventing him scoring as much as you would expect, but the skill based upside looks 7.5 pretty easily for me. But maybe more like D chance to reach it.

Also I would think the prospect strengths and weaknesses would need to be updated, particularly the part about players with "gamebreaker" status and the goalie depth.

Last edited:

Pohlow

Mar 26, 2012
Frisco, Tx
Man, Dickinson getting a 7.5 seems pretty sweet. I know it's just an online ranking, but I think he has a long future with us

MetalGodAOD*

8.5 is definitely nice to see for Nich. would have thought he'd get an 8.0.

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
I didn't care for his style at a cursory glance. I didn't think it was sustainable. It was a package of tools I wouldn't turn down at a certain point, but I had him pegged as someone that should rightfully slip on draft day (nationality aside) initially. And to the point that I was disappointed that the Stars drafted him, as I root for the Stars to draft well. I take no pride in deriding picks (especially lottery picks) that a team makes, that this team makes...

So, when I was at the draft, I thought about what I was going to write. Should I sugarcoat it and be excited for those that are being excited...or should I go out on a limb and say what I feel and say that this top-10 pick probably isn't going to be much of anything at the NHL level...with the scenario that it could forever go in my hall of shame...

Fortunately (for me, I guess), I really took the time to examine his game. And I came away impressed, as you can see...it's not perfect, it's not a stonecold lock to be anything, but it's better than I initially thought...it's rare that I have such a change of heart, normally my first instinct is the one I go with...mainly, because on closer examination, I've determined my first look was the "right" look (as far as my own opinion goes).

The Ovechkin comparison isn't awful, but I just can't speak as to why it's just not a match to my eyes. It's all in the calculation of it all...I can't quite put it into words, but I see so much more Malkin vs. Ovechkin/Nash. Even though his stat lines will be more Ovechkin/Nash like...from a playmaking, or lack thereof, standpoint, yes, at the binary level, Ovy and Nash are more on point.

The stat lines are all sample size and context really...I wouldn't read much into it. He played one year in the Russian Junior league when he was 16 playing against older kids (he finished top-10 in league scoring among that youngest age group). One year later, he's a point per game in a small sample size. Also throws some goals in at a plentiful pace in the second-tier VHL. Then he's playing pretty effective hockey as a 17 year old in the second best league in the world. That's ok in my book in terms of level of competition.

Nickname that also won't make it into future articles: Klaatu Valeri Nichu.
Just curious what you would project for him points wise at NHL level if it came together?

40-30-70 about right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad