Value of: Dallas stars 13th OA

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
I think rangers might be better off trying to get as many picks between 20 and 35 as they can with those guys . They could potentially end up with 5 first/early second round picks . That would be a great start to a rebuild .
I kind of agree but there's a catch 22 there as well ... teams have to need forwards. Not sure how many win now teams need a top 6 fwd.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
thats not a playoff caliber blue line , and pateryn isn’t a second pair dman. Out of all our signed d , klingberg and methot are the only ones with any experience in the playoffs . What second pair right handed defenseman is available in free agency other than Carlson and green? There are plenty of good forwards to choose from in free agency , it’s gonna be hard to find a top 4 d there . You really think those six could hang with Washington , Vegas , Pittsburgh etc . In a playoff series ?

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
We don't need an experienced 2nd pairing defenseman. We could find one really easily in free agency. I'm sure Pateryn or Hamhuis wouldn't mind sticking around for another season.

If we move the 13th overall, it will be for a top six forward. Nothing else.

I'm a sucker for Wayne Simmonds, so I'd pony up the pick for him. Maybe tweak the deal a bit so that the Stars also receive some upside. As in 13th overall + Devin Shore + 4th for Wayne Simmonds and a 2nd round pick.
thats not a playoff caliber blue line , and pateryn isn’t a second pair dman. Out of all our signed d , klingberg and methot are the only ones with any experience in the playoffs . What second pair right handed defenseman is available in free agency other than Carlson and green? There are plenty of good forwards to choose from in free agency , it’s gonna be hard to find a top 4 d there . You really think those six could hang with Washington , Vegas , Pittsburgh etc . In a playoff series ?

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands

Our defense was solid last year. I have high expectations for Heiskanen and Honka. Not to mention a healthier version of Methot. Neither the Caps or Nights possess imposing bluelines, yet reached the finals. We can get experience on D without having to give up the 13th overall.

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
We don't need an experienced 2nd pairing defenseman. We could find one really easily in free agency. I'm sure Pateryn or Hamhuis wouldn't mind sticking around for another season.

If we move the 13th overall, it will be for a top six forward. Nothing else.

I'm a sucker for Wayne Simmonds, so I'd pony up the pick for him. Maybe tweak the deal a bit so that the Stars also receive some upside. As in 13th overall + Devin Shore + 4th for Wayne Simmonds and a 2nd round pick.

If Shore can fill in at 3c for a year or 2 I’d be interested for sure. Don’t know enough about him to comment on that.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Our defense was solid last year. I have high expectations for Heiskanen and Honka. Not to mention a healthier version of Methot. Neither the Caps or Nights possess imposing bluelines, yet reached the finals. We can get experience on D without having to give up the 13th overall.
I would say our d were decent but that’s because we had hamhuis and pateryn as the second pair . Losing those experienced guys and replacing them with 2 young guys would be dangerous . We would have one experienced guy in methot and that’s it . If he gets injured we have a blue line full of kids . Who do you put out with 30 seconds left to hold a lead ? I seriously see a repeat of when we dumped goligoski demers and fiddler , everybody thought we were gonna be so much better without them but they were a huge reason why they had such a good run that year .

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
What about something like Justin Braun + 21st overall for Julius Honka + 13th overall? You get your experienced D and you still have a 1st round pick to throw at a top-6 winger from someone else.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Burakovksy
Bowey
6th 2019

13th overall
4th 2019

I dont know why im on every topic offering Burakovsky..

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
As a stars fan, the 13th for Zuc or Patches seems about right, straight up, or with a lower round pick added (3 and lower). Some are concerned about trading the pick in front of the home crowd, but getting an established player who can score goals would satisfy most Stars fans, I think.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
As a stars fan, the 13th for Zuc or Patches seems about right, straight up, or with a lower round pick added (3 and lower). Some are concerned about trading the pick in front of the home crowd, but getting an established player who can score goals would satisfy most Stars fans, I think.

I'm not worried about trading our pick, especially how Nill drafts anyways lol. My problem is I'd rather not target Patches or Zuc since both are UFAs at the end of the season. I'd rather see us get a younger player with that pick

Reactions: Ragernschnapple

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Rights to James van Riemsdyk
Josh Leivo
25th Overall Pick
for
13th Overall Pick

I don't think I'd be too upset with this, provided Dallas knew going in that JVR would re-up with them, and that their scouting staff was targeting a player they knew would drop to 25.

Can't say I have that much faith in Dallas scouts, though. Been a rough stretch, draft-wise, in recent years (save for Heiskanen but you don't need scouts for a pick like that :laugh:)

JVR would add some extra scoring on the wing, no doubt, and Leivo would finally get out of the ACC pressbox that he'd grown so accustomed to seeing.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
What about something like Justin Braun + 21st overall for Julius Honka + 13th overall? You get your experienced D and you still have a 1st round pick to throw at a top-6 winger from someone else.
This would have me thinking but probably a no go.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I'd really like NYI to trade Eberle for it so they would have 3 picks back to back and then not take Barzal with any of them. Mostly for joke purposes, but it also somewhat works as if JT leaves (as I think he will) then it would make sense for both teams.

To be more helpful, Skinner is also an obvious choice here.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Not sure I’m willing to move the pick unless we are confident that we can’t sign one of the big ticket UFA’s. After this year we’re going to need all the cheap talent we can get with Seguin’s new contract (assuming he signs with us).

Last edited:

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Simmonds would probably be a pretty good fit in Dallas. I don't know if it is the right decision for that franchise though. Simmonds is most useful on a team looking to contend. If Dallas thinks they can do it then sure, go for the Wayne Train otherwise I think they are better off keeping the pick.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Regarding the shore offer above involving phi and Dallas.

Can he PK?
Is he more of a center / winger?

It’s most definitely got my interest.
Plays mostly wing and he’s more of a pp guy . Was usually on the pp with benn and radulov .

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
1st(13)
Dickinson(RFA)
Ritchie
Rights to Roussel

For

Pacioretty
Byron
4th round pick(EDM)

Ad

Upcoming events