Value of: Dallas Pieces in a Potential Rebuild

Bigshow747

May 12, 2018
It's been a tire fire this year. After going 4-0 in the first four games, they have gone 2-8-4 in the next 14. The only team in the league who have lost more in the last 10 is Anaheim. This is not a team that looks like the team that made a run, and it's starting to look like the goaltending of Khudobin's incredible run hid some of the issues plaguing this truly awful system. They work hard, they play hard, but they choke any offensive creativity out of their lineup. Assuming they continue on this spiral, and don't make the playoffs, what pieces could they move? What could they get?

Some Pieces to Consider
-Khudobin: Why lose him to Seattle for nothing. His value is probably the best it could be. Could they get a late 1st?
-Pavelski: Would a team move pieces and or take on that salary for a year? 7 mil is cheap, but he comes with a slew of intangibles. His offense is one of the few not to take a massive hit.
-Comeau: bottom six experience with speed.
-Cogliano: bottom six experience with speed.
-Oleksiak: Size, expiring deal, plays with a bit more pace than you'd think. Has not looked as good this year.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Khdobin to Edmonton for conditional first if Edmonton makes semi-finals (is that what it will be called this year as there is no east vs west) and he plays 50% of playoff games. If not becomes a 2nd

Reactions: Flyer lurker

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Would washington trade a 1st for Khudobin if they need an upgrade in net?

That first could end up being pick 28 to 31 so not a premium pick, but still value. Khudobin could be their piece for another cup..

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Isn’t the whole team hurt?

Not really,

Bishop & Seguin have missed the entire season.
Radulov & Hintz have missed considerable time. (Hintz will be in and out the rest of the season nursing something).

The COVID delay hurt the team, as did like 18 players catching it. Then we had the Dallas storm which wiped away more practice time and delayed more games.

So, the rest of the season will be full of back to backs and zero practice days. Back to back means more injury potential and more fill-in/lower tier players in the lineup. The expectation at this point is Dallas will miss the playoffs, I don't see any way around it.

Really sucks after the success from last year, but the way things unfolded since then with the long term injuries to your 1G and 1C and the other stuff is just too much to overcome.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Would washington trade a 1st for Khudobin if they need an upgrade in net?

That first could end up being pick 28 to 31 so not a premium pick, but still value. Khudobin could be their piece for another cup..

from the outside seems like they have two decent goalies so why pay a premium even if it is an upgrade

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Would you guys retain 50% on Radulov or Pavelski to facilitate a trade?

To leafs: Radulov@50 or Pavalski@50

To Stars: 2021 1st, Roni Hirvonen, Alex kerfoot

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
It's been a tire fire this year. After going 4-0 in the first four games, they have gone 2-8-4 in the next 14. The only team in the league who have lost more in the last 10 is Anaheim. This is not a team that looks like the team that made a run, and it's starting to look like the goaltending of Khudobin's incredible run hid some of the issues plaguing this truly awful system. They work hard, they play hard, but they choke any offensive creativity out of their lineup. Assuming they continue on this spiral, and don't make the playoffs, what pieces could they move? What could they get?

Some Pieces to Consider
-Khudobin: Why lose him to Seattle for nothing. His value is probably the best it could be. Could they get a late 1st?
-Pavelski: Would a team move pieces and or take on that salary for a year? 7 mil is cheap, but he comes with a slew of intangibles. His offense is one of the few not to take a massive hit.
-Comeau: bottom six experience with speed.
-Cogliano: bottom six experience with speed.
-Oleksiak: Size, expiring deal, plays with a bit more pace than you'd think. Has not looked as good this year.
Khudobin 1st no. If Edm would I give up a 2 and 4? I can go there.
Pavelski one more year at 7m is a pass. He has played very well for sure. But rather have 7m for ufa's.
Comeau with possible retention? Derek Grant got a 4 last year as a reference.
Cogliano Way better ways to spend 3.25m rental.

generalshepherd141

Jun 12, 2017
America
Not a Stars fan here, but I agree with moving Khudobin for whatever you can get. I'm not sure you can get much of anything for any of the others you listed though, so maybe Dallas would be best off holding onto them.

I don't think the Stars need a rebuild. I blame their record this year mostly on their short offseason after a Cup run. However, they aren't a legit Cup contender as currently constructed. Sounds strange to say just months after being in the Final, but at no point in that series did anyone believe the Stars were going to win it.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Not a Stars fan here, but I agree with moving Khudobin for whatever you can get. I'm not sure you can get much of anything for any of the others you listed though, so maybe Dallas would be best off holding onto them.

I don't think the Stars need a rebuild. I blame their record this year mostly on their short offseason after a Cup run. However, they aren't a legit Cup contender as currently constructed. Sounds strange to say just months after being in the Final, but at no point in that series did anyone believe the Stars were going to win it.
At no point in the season did anyone ever thing Dallas would make the finals. Deep down we knew Tampa would win but the 4th game of the finals Dallas had a real shot of tying it up 2 games a piece. I feel if that happened the Stars could of pulled it out.

Ogi1Kenobi

Dec 25, 2008
Khudobin and Sekera are probably going to be fodder for the expansion draft. Pavelski would fetch quite a bit (if he chooses to waive his MNC). He still has one more year left, and his old age has not affected him too badly. He had a great playoffs a few months ago.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Would you guys retain 50% on Radulov or Pavelski to facilitate a trade?

To leafs: Radulov@50 or Pavalski@50

To Stars: 2021 1st, Roni Hirvonen, Alex kerfoot

I’m not sure if ownership would, but I think Dallas should fully retain on both them and Klingberg to kick off the rebuild. Deal Khudobin, Conway, and Oleksiak at the deadline as well. Benn, Seguin, and Bishop likely stick around due to age and contract.

Heiskanen, Lindell, Hintz, Gurianov, Faksa, and Robertson can stick around from the current group

Bigshow747

May 12, 2018
Personally the only true untouchables should be Heiskanen, Klingberg, Harley, Dellandrea, Robertson, Bourque, and Oettinger. Gurianov and Hintz should be close to untouchable, but you might have to use them in a package deal to bring in something bigger Seguin, Benn, and Bishop won't be traded cause of NMC's. Radulov has one too. Pavelski has a full NMC for this year if I'm not mistaken, but next year is a M-NMC.

To me the best assets for a rebuild are Khudobin, Lindell, Faksa, Dickinson, and Oleksiak. I'm not sure what kind of assets they could get, but teams looking for defense could pay a premium for Lindell. He's the type of player someone like Philly or Boston could use, though Philly might need more on the right side. Florida too if they want a true shutdown player. Lindell would be a slightly more expensive alternative to Ekholm.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Khdobin to Edmonton for conditional first if Edmonton makes semi-finals (is that what it will be called this year as there is no east vs west) and he plays 50% of playoff games. If not becomes a 2nd
Old goalies wouldn't fetch a 1st, no matter the conditions

Especially one with an unproven track record of elite play

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Pavelski is interesting for the Bruins. I've always liked his game, he could work on Krejci's RW. Contract is tough, though.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Only on here do teams tear down as such
Timo Meier for Dellandrea , Oettinger +
I don't see the value in rebuilding by trading away a 22 year old goalie that will be the next starter in Dallas and a 20 year old top organizational prospect. Meier also has a $10million dollar qualifying offer in a couple years. That contract is actually a little scary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad