Rumor: Dallas/Nashville Interested in Jeff Carter

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
lol he went from being traded for couts and voracek many moons ago to jack johnson and marko dano

mid 30's trending downwards with 5.27 aav over the next 3 years

what would his value be now

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
lol he went from being traded for couts and voracek many moons ago to jack johnson and marko dano

mid 30's trending downwards with 5.27 aav over the next 3 years

what would his value be now

Lol I know huh,since then he has won 2 cups.:naughty:

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Honestly I don’t think the Kings are asking a heck of a lot. I don’t think we’re expecting a first round pick for him. He’s clearly heading toward the tail end of his career.

With that said, Carter is still a really good player. He doesn’t look motivated on the Kings, but nobody really does. I think he’s still a very good 2C that can eventually play wing if he slows down a bit.

My guess is the Kings are asking for a second-round pick and a good prospect for him. More if the Kings retain - he has three years left at $5.27 million.

Ragernschnapple

Feb 24, 2017
Honestly I don’t think the Kings are asking a heck of a lot. I don’t think we’re expecting a first round pick for him. He’s clearly heading toward the tail end of his career.

With that said, Carter is still a really good player. He doesn’t look motivated on the Kings, but nobody really does. I think he’s still a very good 2C that can eventually play wing if he slows down a bit.

My guess is the Kings are asking for a second-round pick and a good prospect for him. More if the Kings retain - he has three years left at $5.27 million.
2nd and a good prospect is dreaming. It’ll be a 3rd and a B prospect if it goes down.

Reactions: Oates2Neely
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I imagine anyone trading for Carter is hoping for a bounceback and in insulating him in a different role than 2C on the Kings (kind of like when we picked him up from CBJ and said "you're a winger now, just go score"). Also as you point out his actual salary is lower. Wouldn't be surprised to see LA retain, too.

It's very strange how he fell apart this year given last year, after he came back from injury, he scored right along his career pace. Part of the Kings' sloppy story for this year, I suppose. But as for "why" they are interested, if the GM is an optimist, he sees a chance to buy low on a 30g, 60p, elite two-way 2C.
Dallas needs a legit 2C so this would seem to be a bad fit, unless management just wants goals any way possible.

Zal

Jan 12, 2009
Or they just hold on to him and watch regain his value... let’s call this what it is...

Teams see a Kings team that sucks ass.. they see a rebuild in the Kings future and assume everyone can be had(true) and are going to low ball them to death because that’s how you negotiate but let’s not pretend that Jeff Carter is some washed up player when even after the injury you described he busted his butt and came back from an injury most players a decade younger than him would have struggled to return from and to boot he scored 23 points in 25 games... but of course we all love stats and boy does everything LA Kings sucks so they must be desperate to live these guys...
well not really, they can keep him just like they’ll do with Toffoli and play the game again next season..

I had a few distinct feeling this was the direction you were headed in with regards to Carter. This is where we differ. I want the Kings to face the inevitable now rather than later. Otherwise, why trade the second best defenseman on the team? No, they have to complete the task. Get picks for the ‘19 and ‘20 drafts, as well as obtain a deep prospect pool. The Kings need to forge a new core. They won’t win another Cup with this group.

Reactions: Kingspiracy

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
I had a few distinct feeling this was the direction you were headed in with regards to Carter. This is where we differ. I want the Kings to face the inevitable now rather than later. Otherwise, why trade the second best defenseman on the team? No, they have to complete the task. Get picks for the ‘19 and ‘20 drafts, as well as obtain a deep prospect pool. The Kings need to forge a new core. They won’t win another Cup with this group.
I guess you'll be disappointed,Kings not rebuilding in the traditional sense,their pushing to contend for the playoffs in two years according to Futa.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Maybe he could rebound on a better team. That’s a risky if though. Not sure what it would take to get him but I wouldn’t want to give up any of the top prospects hoping he will rebound

Zal

Jan 12, 2009
I guess you'll be disappointed,Kings not rebuilding in the traditional sense,their pushing to contend for the playoffs in two years according to Futa.

I agree. It will be disappointing when they aren’t contending. I just don’t see how given their nucleus.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
Dallas and LA have scouted one another and their farm teams a lot. Wouldn’t be shocked something is brewing. I still feel Carter has something to offer, but cap hit and term would be tough for Stars to take on. Could be cheap assets-wise for a 2C though.

Reactions: Ragernschnapple

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Carts is frustrating to watch this year. Guy has so much talent. Any team looking to add him is buying low and hoping he has an Eric Staal kinda impact.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Wasn't there reports out there that Carter was really content in LA and doesn't want to move and might retire if traded ? 3 more years also doesn't sound like a good idea imho.

I don't think Carter to Dallas is that great of an idea. He's probably cheap to get but will he get motivated to play when traded ? I don't know about that.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Wasn't there reports out there that Carter was really content in LA and doesn't want to move and might retire if traded ? 3 more years also doesn't sound like a good idea imho.

I don't think Carter to Dallas is that great of an idea. He's probably cheap to get but will he get motivated to play when traded ? I don't know about that.
It was a rumor. He's a pro and that's a lot of money to leave on the table.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Carter has two young children and likes living near the beach. He is 34 not 40. Still looks to be in great shape physically.

He has not been the same since the injury last year. Came back from that injury and contributed right away.

Kopitar went from 90 points last year to likely 60 this year. An example of just how much LA is a broken team. Everyone’s numbers are down. They have a craptastic coach and are trying to transition their identity to speed and skill.

Carter has been injured and lost in the shuffle. Is it decline in age? No longer a fit with personnel? Unmotivated? No one has an answer.

If LA retains, he probably could be had cheap. I doubt he retires. I wouldn’t be completely upset if he’s not traded in hopes of a rebound year and that he could be moved out next deadline. LA is stale and it’s time to turn a corner. It’s bittersweet for most Kings fans.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Carter with retention for a 2nd and a B level prospect is a fair deal.

His cap hit with 50% retention is only 2.64M

Reactions: Zal

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
My guess would be, if the Stars were to acquire Carter, they'd be relinquishing Nichushkin in the deal, and probably a conditional pick based on how well the Stars or Carter does in the post season.

With Spezza set to become a UFA this summer, Carter can be viewed as his replacement. They have similar numbers this season, and Carter will have three years remaining on his deal after this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->