"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
In re: Nashville getting him...

giphy.gif

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Unless L.A. retains or it involves Turris, I do not like this for Nashville. He is declining and has too many years left on his contract IMO.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
34 years old, production trending down, 3 more seasons at $5.272 cap (actual salary is lower). Why are they interested?

I imagine anyone trading for Carter is hoping for a bounceback and in insulating him in a different role than 2C on the Kings (kind of like when we picked him up from CBJ and said "you're a winger now, just go score"). Also as you point out his actual salary is lower. Wouldn't be surprised to see LA retain, too.

It's very strange how he fell apart this year given last year, after he came back from injury, he scored right along his career pace. Part of the Kings' sloppy story for this year, I suppose. But as for "why" they are interested, if the GM is an optimist, he sees a chance to buy low on a 30g, 60p, elite two-way 2C.

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
34 years old, production trending down, 3 more seasons at $5.272 cap (actual salary is lower). Why are they interested?

I don't think Dallas should trade for him for the reasons you listed but here it goes.

- They think he can rebound .
- He probably won't cost a lot to acquire.
- His actual salary is 3,2,2 next 3 years so he is cheaper in real dollars and an easy buyout if things go wrong.
- $5.2 is relatively cheap if he can turn things around, even cheaper if LA retains or takes back a contract these teams don't like as much (ex for Stars: Blake Comeau @ 2.4 for next two years) Going rate for a top six forward seems minimum 6.5-7 @ UFA prices.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
FWIW I think Carter will have a bounce-back year next season - I'm hesitant on trading him now because his value is at an all-time low.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

Guessing they don't want to cough up premium assets like a 1st round pick or top prospects for a rental, so they're taking their chances on a playoff tested veteran who could use a change of scenery. He's had some issues due to injuries, but still managed to produce 22 points in 27 games last season. He also has solid faceoff numbers and can also shift to RW.

I'm starting to sound like a used car salesman trying to sell you a 20-year-old Benz that has 200,000+ miles on it.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
FWIW I think Carter will have a bounce-back year next season - I'm hesitant on trading him now because his value is at an all-time low.
I think that's possible too but the Kings can't take anymore risks especially for a 34 year old.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Production trending down???
You mean after a freak Achilles injury last season he came back too soon and still scored at about a ppg??? And this season, we’ll just look at the Kings overall!! It’s a down year for everyone...
I mean why would anyone want a consistent 60 players with actually monies in the $2-$3 mill range and that’s likely to get retention???
I do like your ability to cherry pick the last two seasons without giving proper context

HkyFan202

Feb 22, 2019
Don't think Carter would agree to a trade... but as a kings fan i would like to move him, Cap is the issue, still has the touch though and would be very valuable for a playoff run

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->