Signing(s): Dallas Keuchel with the Braves (1 year, $13 million)

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I'm a little confused, why did it take till after the draft for both Keuchel and Kimbrill to get signed. Not only did they get signed, things ramped up in a big way after the Draft and these signings, after waiting months to get resolved, happened quickly.

Reactions: Roman Fell

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I'm a little confused, why did it take till after the draft for both Keuchel and Kimbrill to get signed. Not only did they get signed, things ramped up in a big way after the Draft and these signings, after waiting months to get resolved, happened quickly.
Keuchel and Kimbrel each received qualifying offers (QO) last offseason. They each turned down the one-year contract in favor of hitting the market. However, that they were tendered QOs means that their former teams -- the Red Sox in Kimbrel's case and the Astros Keuchel's -- were entitled to draft-pick compensation. That comes in two forms. First, the Red Sox and Astros would receive compensatory picks if those QO-receiving free agents signed elsewhere. Second, the teams that signed Keuchel and Kimbrel would be forced to forfeit picks, among other penalties. Via MLB.com, here's how those penalties are scaled:
  • A team that exceeded the luxury tax in the preceding season will lose its second- and fifth-highest selections in the following year's draft, as well as $1 million from its international bonus pool for the upcoming signing period. If such a team signs multiple qualifying-offer free agents, it will forfeit its third- and sixth-highest remaining picks as well.
  • A team that receives revenue sharing will lose its third-highest selection in the following year's draft. If it signs two such players, it will also forfeit its fourth-highest remaining pick.
  • A team that neither exceeded the luxury tax in the preceding season nor receives revenue sharing will lose its second-highest selection in the following year's draft, as well as $500,000 from its international bonus pool for the upcoming signing period. If it signs two such players, it will also forfeit its third-highest remaining pick and an additional $500,000.
However, as of Monday, June 3 -- i.e., draft day -- none of that applies to qualifying-offer free agents from last offseason. That means the teams that eventually sign Keuchel and Kimbrel will do so without penalty. Likewise, the Red Sox and Astros will not receive picks once the duo signs.
Why the MLB Draft could open up the market for Dallas Keuchel and Craig Kimbrel

As for the signing itself, I'm cautiously optimistic. Still wonder how long it'll take him to get into form, if at all, this season. Probably can't be worse than Gausman either way.

Reactions: Roman Fell

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
I'm sure teams were talking to Keuchel and/or Kimbrel for a few weeks now. They just didn't want to sign them until after the draft so they wouldn't forfeit a draft pick.

Houston talked to him a few times, end of last season and again in the spring, but the offers were kind of halfhearted at best. Neither side was that unhappy to move on. His fastball lost 2-3 mph and he got worse as the season went on. Maybe a half season would be perfect for him.

Ultimately though I think his criticism of the front office got to be too much. Tweeting, etc if a trade wasn’t made or a signing he wanted. They replaced him with Miley for 5 million so that’s worked out so far.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Yeah, I'm happy the Braves made a move to improve, but overall, I don't think he'll make a huge difference. He starts in AAA tomorrow and I assume it'll be a few starts there. It'll be July-ish for his first start up here and even then, he's a solid #3 at this point.

Thinking Gausman still gets sent to the pen soon and a callup from Gwinnett.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Surprised that an owner so willing to spend would let him walk for that...

I think they made a smart move not signing him longterm.

Doubt he wanted to come back to Houston on a 1 year deal. That r/ship soured quickly apparently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad