Friedman: Dallas in on Panarin and Zuccarello

Ragernschnapple

Feb 24, 2017
Perhaps. But he seems to really not like the city of Columbus and is trying to not crap on them anymore than he already is. I know Dallas isn’t New York or Miami or LA or Miami or Vancouver or Northern California, but wouldn’t be unreasonable to think he might like Dallas more than Columbus.
Panarin’s a great player. I would love to have him in Dallas. The problem is the Stars aren’t close enough that a Panarin puts them over the top. It’s too risky to give up what it would take to acquire him for what would most likely be 1 playoff run.

Reactions: Dynamite Time

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
The only way Columbus moves futures is if they realize he's 100% gone and that they simply aren't going to win the Cup this year. Both of those seem... highly likely. I cannot see Columbus surviving the gauntlet that the Metro is and even if they do, I'll be utterly shocked if they compete with Tampa. Is getting to the 2nd or 3rd round in the playoffs worth losing out on a likely great package of young assets?

Moving Panarin for futures might be the best move for the franchise longterm, especially if they can get a haul.

Depends upon what Columbus's organizational needs are for the short-term vs long-term. For a franchise that has never seen past the first round, winning one could be colossal and if Panarin gets them there, maybe it's a draw for other UFA's to come play for them (How many marquee free-agents has Columbus managed to entice?) or even influence Panarin to stay.

I think Nill, if he were in JK's shoes, would want playoff success in the near future over some long overarching plan. He's running on fumes and likely JK is too.

JC0720

Jul 5, 2018
Dallas cant seriously consider themselves serious contenders, but I could see a move being made for Panarin just to generate some excitement for the fan base. If they get hot and make the playoffs and actually advance past round 1 maybe Nill keeps his job. Anything less and you have to believe hes out. May as well swing for the fences.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Your club president did. And perusing these forums many of your fans too.

He's been lazy this season and it's definitely wearing down on the team as a whole, but there's no way he is going to be dealt away rashly for a rental. I see him being dealt only if a new GM comes in and (with the owner's approval) signals a complete tear down and rebuild with Heiskanen as a central piece.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Perhaps. But he seems to really not like the city of Columbus and is trying to not crap on them anymore than he already is. I know Dallas isn’t New York or Miami or LA or Miami or Vancouver or Northern California, but wouldn’t be unreasonable to think he might like Dallas more than Columbus.

Complete fiction. He has never said he doesn’t like the city, in fact he has said he really enjoys it here. He is hell bent on taking advantage of free agency however. “One life, one chance” at this is all he has been quoted as saying.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The only way Columbus moves futures is if they realize he's 100% gone and that they simply aren't going to win the Cup this year. Both of those seem... highly likely. I cannot see Columbus surviving the gauntlet that the Metro is and even if they do, I'll be utterly shocked if they compete with Tampa. Is getting to the 2nd or 3rd round in the playoffs worth losing out on a likely great package of young assets?

Moving Panarin for futures might be the best move for the franchise longterm, especially if they can get a haul.
Kekalainen has come out and said several times that he's not going to hamstring the playoff run - he views that as betraying the guys' efforts.

* * *​
That package never includes a "top prospect" for a rental, no matter the quality of the player. Look at prime Hossa and Kovalchuk for examples.
True, but we see that less as a "we're getting it" and more of a "we're not going to trade him in the end".

* * *​
I was wondering if CLB went far in the playoffs, think that could help change Panarin and Bob's minds about resigning?
We can always hope. :dunno:

* * *​
"We would rather lose him for nothing and pretend like he's our only chance to win the cup than get assets for him while we still can".

You're going to be severely disappointed in the return they get if CBJ moves him.

Benn or Seguin, lmfao.
"You're not cooperating with our wild dreams of getting an elite superstar for peanuts, so your on-site evaluation borne from knowing the franchise for years and following the situation obsessively must be wrong."

While it's possible that there are things Dallas has other than those two that would be worthwhile in a Panarin trade, I admit I can't see them myself right now, and most of the Stars fans here seem to think a deal there is untenable as well.

It's not "we're getting Seguin and/or Benn and there's nothing you can do about it" - it's "if we're going to move him, we need a certain quality of asset, and those two overkill options are the only folks that pass the threshold, and since they're overkill options it's just not going to happen."

* * *​
Like I said before, I totally get where your coming from, but please tell me why any team in a playoff picture would trade one of there top players for a rental?
That's exactly the point - they wouldn't. That's why we think he's not going to be traded.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Dallas is not going to move picks or good prospects for a couple months of a player. Dallas is farther away from being a contender than just a piece or two as a rental.

Reactions: Ragernschnapple

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Dallas is not going to move picks or good prospects for a couple months of a player. Dallas is farther away from being a contender than just a piece or two as a rental.
Depends on the pieces. Let’s say Duchene and Nyquist. How much further away are they? The defense is there. The goaltending with bishop back is there. It’s the scoring. Two playmakers and one that can score. Dallas would be really close. So no a couple pieces could propel them.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
As a Stars fan, I would trade Robertson while he is a shiny penny. He still has skating issues that will probably hold him out of the NHL. Better him than Hintz or even Ty D.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Depends on the pieces. Let’s say Duchene and Nyquist. How much further away are they? The defense is there. The goaltending with bishop back is there. It’s the scoring. Two playmakers and one that can score. Dallas would be really close. So no a couple pieces could propel them.
It is going to take time to build that chemistry and well time is not something the Stars can afford if they give up 1st's and good prospects for a couple months.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
It is going to take time to build that chemistry and well time is not something the Stars can afford if they give up 1st's and good prospects for a couple months.
Jim Nill? How did you get an account on here. Listen Mr. Nill please don’t talk yourself out of all trades. I want some playoff hockey as a fan. While I have you can you stop over drafting players? I don’t mind you giving up picks cause...to be quite frank you Mr. Nill suck at drafting. Miro was luck. Outside of that you have nothing. Although, you are a master at the salary cap. So maybe find an assistant who can draft for you. But for the sake of this team make a trade.

Reactions: ZeHockeyFan

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I'd take benn over Panarin hands down but after the owners comments, he's putting up points like someone shot his dog....

I don't know where that leads but "head in the game" Jamie benn is one of the more complete packages in the league.

Reactions: Ragernschnapple

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I can't wait for CBJ to lose Bob and Panarin for nothing after another R1 elimination- or better yet, they miss the playoffs.

lmao

As a CBJ fan, I hope not... But, I get it. It's fun to see some teams reach complete ruin. Didn't think the Jackets were to that level, but whatever... Anyways, I think most CBJ fans on here know we aren't getting Seguin, Benn, Heiskanen, or Oettinger. I think most have realized our team's don't necessarily work out for a Panarin deal. Plus, we haven't really been trade buddies or trade connections in the last few years. Honestly, I only see Guryanov, Ty Dellandrea, Roope Hintz as players I'd trade for... And, spitballing for the hell of it- Dellandrea, 2019 1st, 2019 2nd round pick off the top of my head.

But, I'l preface losing Bob and Panarin for nothing
Bob-Would be hard to move at the trade deadline, though I would in my fantasy land. Most here want him traded. Also, it's not like good goalies are easy to move on the market either. Most goalies, people say aren't worth a 1st round pick. Then ya have Bobrovsky- 2 Vezina trophies, very good regular season goalie after he solved the injury problem, 3 bad post seasons where he hasn't stolen a game, his behavior this season, and his mediocre play all season long, followed by a probable 8 year contract. Also, we would also need to acquire another goalie because we have Korpisalo and that is it. I think that complicates things to make it difficult to do- Although, in my fantasy land- I trade him for a good prospect/1st round pick and get another goalie... Will it get done? We'll see. Portzline(Our beat writer think it's less than 50-50 chance.

Panarin- He's the best trade chip on the market at the trade deadline in the few years I have followed hockey intensely. He's an elite player/game changer. And, without him- I don't think we are contending for a playoff spot to be completely honest. Let's face it- The Blue Jackets haven't won more than 2 games in a post season series yet. I think most people on here and other fans around here would be happy if he helped us make it to the next round. Personally, I think it would suck the life out of a locker room/fan base to see Panarin/Bob shipped out without landing someone to help us make it further in the playoffs. Also, fans know we aren't going to move Panarin for scraps, nor should we. Jarmo's going to want to get a lot out of Panarin, due to the type of player he is. He's good. I'm not even going to waste my time responding to people who question how good he is. I think people on here know what we should get for him, and don't see it out of our teams... Plus, we go on the main boards and see crap offers, teams saying We'll wait until 7/1, and people saying "Fine, Lose him for nothing" when we advocate for more.

The last offer I seen was an Islanders fan offering- Jordan Eberle (13 G, 13 A UFA), Michael Dal Colle (5 NHL points on the year as a 22 year old) and a late 1st round pick for a team with a good chance to sign him to a 7-8 year deal and compete for the SC in the same division... Yes, if those crap offers are the best out there- I'll happily change my stance to "Team trade Panarin" to Keep Panarin. Simply, because I have full season tickets, unlimited time off work, and he's the best player I've seen on the ice for us in my 9 years of going to hockey games.

Reactions: Fro

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
its crazy to me how some Jackets fans don't want to trade Panarin even when they know there's no chance he's signing there in the off season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->