Friedman: Dallas in on Panarin and Zuccarello

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Dallas fans who are interested in getting Panarin... could you give me 2 trade options.

#1 A trade giving us back current NHL players to help push to the playoffs. Needs would be 1LW and 1b/2C. Dont need any D/RW/G at all and any of those added reduce value unless its a pure stud that obviously you cant say no too even if you have depth because you can move your own guy.

#2 Prospects and picks package. RHD only no LHD we are over stocked there. Again no RW or G. Picks nothing after rnd 4.

pbatx

Feb 26, 2015
Austin, TX
Dallas fans who are interested in getting Panarin... could you give me 2 trade options.

#1 A trade giving us back current NHL players to help push to the playoffs. Needs would be 1LW and 1b/2C. Dont need any D/RW/G at all and any of those added reduce value unless its a pure stud that obviously you cant say no too even if you have depth because you can move your own guy.

#2 Prospects and picks package. RHD only no LHD we are over stocked there. Again no RW or G. Picks nothing after rnd 4.

I think this scenario explains exactly why the Stars can't trade a for Panarin as a rental and the Jackets are better off holding on to him and pushing for the playoffs (unless of course a deal blows them away)

For #1, we have no package going back the other way to help you in the playoffs. I can't name one unless we send you players that would so badly decimate our lineup, we would basically be throwing in the towel.(and yes, I know how good Panarin is) The Stars have no scoring depth to speak of outside of Seguin/Radulov/Benn, and we aren't trading them. So, unless you want Spezza, Honka, Janmark and Guiranov, they just aren't good trading partners in this scenario. I haven't even mentioned that he would have to be signed, which seems like the biggest hurdle even before we start with current players. I keep hearing he would prefer to be on the East or West Coast, Dallas is closest to the Gulf of Mexico.

For #2, we do not have the prospect depth, nor the organizational interest to trade high picks. I'm beating a dead horse, but look at how our drafting has turned out over the last 5 years (actually, don't look, it's not good at all outside of a few players). But, I think it would take at least 1st 2019, 2nd in 202o, Robertson, Dellandrea and another D prospect. That is a huge give for Dallas, but I don't see the Jackets staying on the phone long for that one.

Reactions: Viqsi and mikeyp24
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I think this scenario explains exactly why the Stars can't trade a for Panarin as a rental and the Jackets are better off holding on to him and pushing for the playoffs (unless of course a deal blows them away)

For #1, we have no package going back the other way to help you in the playoffs. I can't name one unless we send you players that would so badly decimate our lineup, we would basically be throwing in the towel.(and yes, I know how good Panarin is) The Stars have no scoring depth to speak of outside of Seguin/Radulov/Benn, and we aren't trading them. So, unless you want Spezza, Honka, Janmark and Guiranov, they just aren't good trading partners in this scenario. I haven't even mentioned that he would have to be signed, which seems like the biggest hurdle even before we start with current players. I keep hearing he would prefer to be on the East or West Coast, Dallas is closest to the Gulf of Mexico.

For #2, we do not have the prospect depth, nor the organizational interest to trade high picks. I'm beating a dead horse, but look at how our drafting has turned out over the last 5 years (actually, don't look, it's not good at all outside of a few players). But, I think it would take at least 1st 2019, 2nd in 202o, Robertson, Dellandrea and another D prospect. That is a huge give for Dallas, but I don't see the Jackets staying on the phone long for that one.

Panarin isn't signing. It seems a foregone conclusion this guy wants to test FA. Sometimes guys are just rentals and that's fine.

I would argue the opposite on the second bolded point. Nill is managing for his job right now. And looking at the awful drafts we've had, especially in the 1st round, our draft picks seem like assets that would absolutely be in play. Probably more so than our best prospects, who are obviously closer to helping the NHL club than a 2019 draft pick.

pbatx

Feb 26, 2015
Austin, TX
Panarin isn't signing. It seems a foregone conclusion this guy wants to test FA. Sometimes guys are just rentals and that's fine.

I would argue the opposite on the second bolded point. Nill is managing for his job right now. And looking at the awful drafts we've had, especially in the 1st round, our draft picks seem like assets that would absolutely be in play. Probably more so than our best prospects, who are obviously closer to helping the NHL club than a 2019 draft pick.

I agree with you on picks should be in play as a fan, I should have said "Management's interest" is not to trade 1st's. I hope we do, and I hope Nill pulls off a crazy deal for a sign and trade deal or gets someone with term. Stone, Zuccs, Nyquist, Dzingel seem like better targets and solid upgrades to our Top 6.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014

Yeah I figured as much because I couldnt figure out a good answer for either number but because Dallas is honestly one of the teams I know the least about I would rather have a fans perspective on it and maybe there qaa hidden gems I didnt know. My example as alwaya is Gavrikov. From the time he was drafted as a 6th or 7th rounder I had to constantly bring him up even to our own fans at time and until about 2 years back he waant cracking even the top 10 prospects so there could have been a gem there I dont know their history.

But it seems much more likely they go after Zucc now then Bread. And hell iff you guys ever do decide blow it up while Seguin is still reasonably in his prime we will be there to discuss us sending you some stuff hopefully we can both agree on.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Man some of these proposals are wild.

Best player in the OHL + first round pick for Mats Zucc? Really?

9 goals and 35 points Mats Zucc?

Try a second which turns into a conditional first if we make the second round or something similar. That is what the market has always been. You are not getting two first rounders for Mats Zucc

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
we just beat Washington the last 2 times we played and no team in the division scares us. TB and Toronto are the teams we have more reason to be worried about because their counter speed is our biggest weakness. But tofill you in on the CBJ situation we have never made it tonthe 2nd round. Roster wise this is the most talent our team has had in hiatory. Making the playoffs back to back years was huge for us now the logical step is get to the next round. We need it to help the continued growth of the fan base which over the past 5ish years has slowly been getting bigger and better. In the playoffs we are easily top 3 as far as it goes to noise and how crazy the fans get and it has been spoken about in articles and said on NHL network. So yes thats worth losing him as a UFA. Secondly over the past three years collectively we have been the youngest team in the league and next year the trend is likely to continue. Gavrikov is coming next year and will step right in and if Peeke decides to go pro rather then stay in school he also seems likely to at bare minimum be the last cut and 1st call up. Foudy, Davidsson, Abramov, and MAYBE Tex all look like they willbe fighting for a spot. And goalies jesus christ are we loaded there which is why the threat of Bob walking hasnt bugged us and until recently we would have been fine trading him but his play recently is back to Bob level that will have him commanding that "Price" price. But we have Korpi as a backup with the best russian prospect in Tarasov, the best Finish prospect I cant spell but starts with a V and he has had the best numbers of any of the guys, and Elvis ready ro leave Europe finally either coming to play with the AHL team for playoffs or to play a game or 2 here to see what its like.

Basically its VERY unlikely we get a prospect that we like more then any of our own unlesa its an insame overpayment and I dont see it happening. Dallas off the top of my head doesnt have a prospect that would make us HAVE to REALLLLLY think about it. They have a player in Seguin that gets the deal rolling though.
Funny there isn’t a single mention of the team that actually sticks you in their back pocket every time you make the playoffs.

I’d be really interested in seeing Jamie Benn on Columbus. I feel like he’d fit right in

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Man some of these proposals are wild.

Best player in the OHL + first round pick for Mats Zucc? Really?

9 goals and 35 points Mats Zucc?

Try a second which turns into a conditional first if we make the second round or something similar. That is what the market has always been. You are not getting two first rounders for Mats Zucc

35 points makes Zucc sound bad. Why dont you specify that he has only played 43 games and playing at a 0.82 PPG?

He is in phenomenal form with racking up 20 points in his last 13 games.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Columbus doesn't make much sense at all as a fit for a Dallas trade.

Dallas isn't moving Seguin or Benn.

/ Columbus discussion

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Benn for Panarin. Maybe Jackets get conditional pick. Gets Jackets player to help now and he is signed for term. Seems like he needs a fresh start anyway. Dallas gets better player but rolls dice on whether he will resign.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Columbus doesn't make much sense at all as a fit for a Dallas trade.

Dallas isn't moving Seguin or Benn.

/ Columbus discussion

I get that Clb doesn't want to give Panarin away, but you really think a team would move a guy like Seguin for a guy whos wants to be a Free Agent? Even Chia wouldn't be that stupid

The real question here is, does CLB keep Panarin and try and make a playoff push, or take the best offer for him and at least get something. Most GM's aren't going to offer there #1 Center for a rental

look up all the trades at the deadlines, Playoff teams don't trade away there top players for a rental

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I get that Clb doesn't want to give Panarin away, but you really think a team would move a guy like Seguin for a guy whos wants to be a Free Agent? Even Chia wouldn't be that stupid

The real question here is, does CLB keep Panarin and try and make a playoff push, or take the best offer for him and at least get something. Most GM's aren't going to offer there #1 Center for a rental

look up all the trades at the deadlines, Playoff teams don't trade away there top players for a rental

Did you read my post?

I guess I can spell it out again...

"Dallas isn't moving Seguin or Benn" -- I'd say thats pretty obvious I do NOT think Dallas would move either player.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Did you read my post?

I guess I can spell it out again...

"Dallas isn't moving Seguin or Benn" -- I'd say thats pretty obvious I do NOT think Dallas would move either player.

yeah your saying if they aren't moving either then theres no trade...

im saying why would any team move a player like them for a rental?

Guess either of us cant read!

Reactions: Kcb12345

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
yeah your saying if they aren't moving either then theres no trade...

im saying why would any team move a player like them for a rental?

Guess either of us cant read!

I love when people angrily agree with each other.

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad