Friedman: Dallas in on Panarin and Zuccarello

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
we just beat Washington the last 2 times we played and no team in the division scares us. TB and Toronto are the teams we have more reason to be worried about because their counter speed is our biggest weakness. But tofill you in on the CBJ situation we have never made it tonthe 2nd round. Roster wise this is the most talent our team has had in hiatory. Making the playoffs back to back years was huge for us now the logical step is get to the next round. We need it to help the continued growth of the fan base which over the past 5ish years has slowly been getting bigger and better. In the playoffs we are easily top 3 as far as it goes to noise and how crazy the fans get and it has been spoken about in articles and said on NHL network. So yes thats worth losing him as a UFA. Secondly over the past three years collectively we have been the youngest team in the league and next year the trend is likely to continue. Gavrikov is coming next year and will step right in and if Peeke decides to go pro rather then stay in school he also seems likely to at bare minimum be the last cut and 1st call up. Foudy, Davidsson, Abramov, and MAYBE Tex all look like they willbe fighting for a spot. And goalies jesus christ are we loaded there which is why the threat of Bob walking hasnt bugged us and until recently we would have been fine trading him but his play recently is back to Bob level that will have him commanding that "Price" price. But we have Korpi as a backup with the best russian prospect in Tarasov, the best Finish prospect I cant spell but starts with a V and he has had the best numbers of any of the guys, and Elvis ready ro leave Europe finally either coming to play with the AHL team for playoffs or to play a game or 2 here to see what its like.

Basically its VERY unlikely we get a prospect that we like more then any of our own unlesa its an insame overpayment and I dont see it happening. Dallas off the top of my head doesnt have a prospect that would make us HAVE to REALLLLLY think about it. They have a player in Seguin that gets the deal rolling though.
Yeah, I don't understand the thought process that a team has to be legit contending for a championship or just scrap the year and build for the future. The upper echelon teams can think like that, but a team like Columbus shouldn't have Cup or bust aspirations at this time.

That being said, you guys are obviously in a tough spot. You are almost certainly losing your best player in UFA but the organization really could use some measure of playoff success.

Edit: For the Stars, it makes less than zero sense to even mention Seguin. Not sure why his name would even come up for a player we could try and sign for free in a few months.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I hope so these last couple games have been brutal the scoring has completely dried up. We need someone with Panarin’s creativity on this team, because past the first line there is zero offence.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
I would love to see something and I think Nill is on the hot seat to make a deal. I could see a Panarin deal and he would be amazing in Dallas. I get the idea of Columbus fans wanting to keep him but they are not winning the cup. Get what you can.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I would love to see something and I think Nill is on the hot seat to make a deal. I could see a Panarin deal and he would be amazing in Dallas. I get the idea of Columbus fans wanting to keep him but they are not winning the cup. Get what you can.

To be fair we aren't winning it either :laugh:this is more about getting something for him rather than him leaving this offseason for nothing, and for us it's a desperation attempt from management to get past the first round

Reactions: wafflepadsave

JC0720

Jul 5, 2018
we just beat Washington the last 2 times we played and no team in the division scares us. TB and Toronto are the teams we have more reason to be worried about because their counter speed is our biggest weakness. But tofill you in on the CBJ situation we have never made it tonthe 2nd round. Roster wise this is the most talent our team has had in hiatory. Making the playoffs back to back years was huge for us now the logical step is get to the next round. We need it to help the continued growth of the fan base which over the past 5ish years has slowly been getting bigger and better. In the playoffs we are easily top 3 as far as it goes to noise and how crazy the fans get and it has been spoken about in articles and said on NHL network. So yes thats worth losing him as a UFA. Secondly over the past three years collectively we have been the youngest team in the league and next year the trend is likely to continue. Gavrikov is coming next year and will step right in and if Peeke decides to go pro rather then stay in school he also seems likely to at bare minimum be the last cut and 1st call up. Foudy, Davidsson, Abramov, and MAYBE Tex all look like they willbe fighting for a spot. And goalies jesus christ are we loaded there which is why the threat of Bob walking hasnt bugged us and until recently we would have been fine trading him but his play recently is back to Bob level that will have him commanding that "Price" price. But we have Korpi as a backup with the best russian prospect in Tarasov, the best Finish prospect I cant spell but starts with a V and he has had the best numbers of any of the guys, and Elvis ready ro leave Europe finally either coming to play with the AHL team for playoffs or to play a game or 2 here to see what its like.

Basically its VERY unlikely we get a prospect that we like more then any of our own unlesa its an insame overpayment and I dont see it happening. Dallas off the top of my head doesnt have a prospect that would make us HAVE to REALLLLLY think about it. They have a player in Seguin that gets the deal rolling though.
Seguin is the only player not named Miro that's earning his check. Hes not going anywhere.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
To be fair we aren't winning it either :laugh:this is more about getting something for him rather than him leaving this offseason for nothing, and for us it's a desperation attempt from management to get past the first round
If we could get some offense I think they could go on a run. Hot goalies can take you a long ways in the playoffs. Dallas has 2 goalies that are doing really well this year. I think bishop can carry along with this defense. Someone to help the offensive end could make this a dangerous team.

Reactions: Kcb12345

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Seguin is the only player not named Miro that's earning his check. Hes not going anywhere.
I know thats why I said it makes no sense that Dallas is wanting to get involved in the bid war. They have 1 player in the NHL we would want. Prospect wise I doubt there is a guy that would sway us off the young roster player plus top prospect plus 1st

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
That package never includes a "top prospect" for a rental, no matter the quality of the player. Look at prime Hossa and Kovalchuk for examples.
If we dont want to trade him and are only listening to offers if they give us a reason too they sure do include them. We are more then fone not moving Panarin. Those teams apparently werent ok letting those guys walk.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Dallas need to keep their 1st just in case they miss the playoffs - it`s not that secured their current wildcard spot. Besides they have 500k in cap balance at the moment. Moving a 20 years Tufte with ELC for Zucc make no sense - so no GM will do that especially not a GM under cap pressure like Dallas. It`s a team who struggle to qualify which is the reason they like to keep their 2019 1st, but Zucc going nowhere unless we get 1st draft pick in either 2019 or 2020.

I think I mention it earlier; if I was the GM of Dallas start selling!, sell, sell, sell!! It`s an old team, NHL is changing! :)
It`s not a hit towards fans of Dallas, but if you are going to invest in future picks to trying to contend this season - it`s a delusional concept, and start to consider different options like a rebuild might help Dallas as a Franchise long term.

Last edited:

WilsonNY14

Jun 18, 2018
No on Robertson, No on 1st

2nd and Gurianov for
Zucc and a 5th

Dallas loves 5th round picks
I mean, I'd personally be shaking your hand at this point. But since it's the internet, I'll just say deal. See, that was easy. Where's my Staples button when I need it?

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
If we dont want to trade him and are only listening to offers if they give us a reason too they sure do include them. We are more then fone not moving Panarin. Those teams apparently werent ok letting those guys walk.
I guess we'll find out.

For the record, I totally get it. Even letting Panarin walk for nothing could be alright if he stays and helps you get some playoff success. It's been a long hard road there in Columbus.

I kind of don't agree with the thought that BJ's only move Panarin if they get an offer that knocks their socks off. I think they decide to trade him or not trade him. From there, if the answer is trade then get the best one you can. The third option could be that they only trade him contingent upon getting NHL player(s) that can help in the playoff push this year. But, if it is the futures option I don't see Columbus getting a team's top prospect.

Like I said, we will see how it all plays out. We're all just speculating at this point. On the face of it, I'm not really sure that Dallas is a good trading partner for Columbus if they decide to deal Panarin.

Reactions: mikeyp24
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Dallas need to keep their 1st just in case they miss the playoffs - it`s not that secured their current wildcard spot. Besides they have 500k in cap balance at the moment. Moving a 20 years Tufte with ELC for Zucc make no sense - so no GM will do that especially not a GM under cap pressure like Dallas. It`s a team who struggle to qualify which is the reason they like to keep their 2019 1st, but Zucc going nowhere unless we get 1st draft pick in either 2019 or 2020.

I think I mention it earlier; if I was the GM of Dallas start selling!, sell, sell, sell!! It`s an old team, NHL is changing! :)
It`s not a hit towards fans of Dallas, but if you are going to invest in future picks to trying to contend this season - it`s a delusional concept, and start to consider different options like a rebuild might help Dallas as a Franchise long term.

Dallas is not going to sell. Jim Nill built this thing and his job is in the balance. It's all in time. And frankly, I'm fine with that.

Benn isn't having a great year but he's still really good and I believe he will beast in the playoffs like he has in every big game opportunity since juniors. Seguin is a really good player and a good enough two-way top line center to build around. Klingberg is an upper crust puck mover and PP QB. Heiskanen is already really good and only going to get better. We've got the best goaltending we've had in forever.

None of these guys are problems. The problem is other than them (and Radulov of course, and Lindell) there aren't many supporting pieces. And the reason for that is the exact reason I've got no problem with Nill trading our 1st rounder - we've done ****-all with our 1st rounders aside from Heiskanen who was a 3rd overall pick. Our drafting hasn't been good enough. Use the pick in a swing for the fences type of move. Go after Panarin, Stone, Duchene.

Reactions: Ori and pbatx

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Zucc could be a good player for Dallas to trade for and sign. They could really need some more offense and he can play on the top line or top 6. He is also a very responsible twoway winger which they also need.

Agree he is a decent chance to return, 2 yrs 5.25 per, club option each of following 2 yrs

No on Robertson, No on 1st

2nd and Gurianov for
Zucc and a 5th

Dallas loves 5th round picks

1st, Gurianov, Pitlick
retained Zuc + NYR 3rd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad