Dallas Eakins

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
We're losing but the games are fun to watch and after dealing with the last 2 seasons of Carlyle I'll give him an A based on that

Reactions: Rasp

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I never said they don't have things to fix and work on, only that you don't have enough data to go on for a valid evaluation of the coach.

I think a quarter review of the coach is good. It at least sets an initial marker. Then at the halfway mark, we can then review the progress and so forth. So it's fair to grade Eakins, but also it's fair to denote he was missing is top pairing defense as well along with Gibby not being his usualy stellar self.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I think a quarter review of the coach is good. It at least sets an initial marker. Then at the halfway mark, we can then review the progress and so forth. So it's fair to grade Eakins, but also it's fair to denote he was missing is top pairing defense as well along with Gibby not being his usualy stellar self.
If they are established then I might agree. Like Bob should have done with Randy last year? Absolutely. Being a brand new coach? No. New employees don't get evaluated 60 days into their new job other than for a so called probationary period. And let's be serious here, there is no probationary period for an NHL coach. It's ridiculous to think a serious review can be done this early.

Last edited:

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
If they are established then I might agree. Like Bob should have done with Randy last year? Absolutely. Being a brand new coach? No. New employees don't get evaluated 60 days into their new job other than for a so called probationary period. And let's be serious here, there is no probationary period for an NHL coach. It's ridiculous to think a serious review can be done this early.
It can take 20 games just to learn a new system. He hasn’t even had an NHL defense for most of that. Anyone giving any grade other than “incomplete” has an agenda.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
It can take 20 games just to learn a new system. He hasn’t even had an NHL defense for most of that. Anyone giving any grade other than “incomplete” has an agenda.

You work with the cards you're dealt and we have over 20 games to evaluate how he has handled things. Giving someone a grade for how they have done so far with the cards he has been dealt doesn't mean someone has a agenda. Someone who gives a incomplete is someone who just doesn't want to give a grade yet.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
You work with the cards you're dealt and we have over 20 games to evaluate how he has handled things. Giving someone a grade for how they have done so far with the cards he has been dealt doesn't mean someone has a agenda. Someone who gives a incomplete is someone who just doesn't want to give a grade yet.
All you’re reviewing is his ability to deal with an incomplete team. That’s not really a worthwhile grade that means anything as far as his overall ability, or the relative merits of his system. Anyone wanting to assign a grade to that is welcome to, but it’s pretty irrelevant as far as being able to make any real predictions. It’s a grade because you want to give a grade, it has zero prognostic worth.

It’s way too soon for any coach to grade them at 25 games, unless the team has tuned out the coach. Otherwise it’s an incomplete, regardless of if they’re doing well or poorly.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
All you’re reviewing is his ability to deal with an incomplete team. That’s not really a worthwhile grade that means anything as far as his overall ability, or the relative merits of his system. Anyone wanting to assign a grade to that is welcome to, but it’s pretty irrelevant as far as being able to make any real predictions. It’s a grade because you want to give a grade, it has zero prognostic worth.

It’s way too soon for any coach to grade them at 25 games, unless the team has tuned out the coach. Otherwise it’s an incomplete, regardless of if they’re doing well or poorly.

How a coach deals with adversity from a injured team is important. You can give a grade based on how he has handled things so far. How much worth you view grades people give at this time is always up to the people who see them.

Its not too soon to give a grade its just too soon to give a final grade.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
How a coach deals with adversity from a injured team is important. You can give a grade based on how he has handled things so far. How much worth you view grades people give is always up to the people who see them.

Its not too soon to give a grade its just too soon to give a final grade.
You can give a grade every 10 games. You can give a grade after every game. You can give a grade after every shift.

The smaller the interval, the less meaningful the grade.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
You can give a grade every 10 games. You can give a grade after every game. You can give a grade after every shift.

The smaller the interval, the less meaningful the grade.

Yes the smaller the less meaningful. Giving a grade after quarter of a season isn't something that should get this much fuss from someone IMO. Its nice to see what people have to say and how they grade him at this point. That doesn't mean they have a agenda like you said before.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Yes the smaller the less meaningful. Giving a grade after quarter of a season isn't something that should get this much fuss from someone IMO. Its nice to see what people have to say and how they grade this at this point. That doesn't mean they have a agenda like you said before.
I didn’t say it was a negative agenda, it can be a positive one too.

There’s no point to give a GRADE. If you want to give a bunch of grades on a bunch of different topics, that could have merit, but with the fact that it’s a new system with a team in flux with severe injuries to 2 of the 3 NHL defensemen on the roster, anyone giving a SEASON/COACHING grade other than incomplete isn’t being fair in an objective manner.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
So you want to give him 40 games? I believe unfortunately this is the era of disposable coaches. Not sure if ownership is as patient as in the past. Hopefully the under 22 group will develop fast.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
I didn’t say it was a negative agenda, it can be a positive one too.

There’s no point to give a GRADE. If you want to give a bunch of grades on a bunch of different topics, that could have merit, but with the fact that it’s a new system with a team in flux with severe injuries to 2 of the 3 NHL defensemen on the roster, anyone giving a SEASON/COACHING grade other than incomplete isn’t being fair in an objective manner.

I think there is nothing wrong with giving a grade for how the coach has handled things with the cards he has been dealt so far and you just don't seem to like it so you saying things like someone has a agenda of some kind which isn't true and that its not fair ect... Nothing is coming of this so I wont bother with this conversation anymore.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I think there is nothing wrong with giving a grade for how the coach has handled things with the cards he has been dealt so far and you just don't seem to like it so you saying things like someone has a agenda of some kind which isn't true and that its not fair ect... Nothing is coming of this so I wont bother with conversation anymore.

You can absolutely review that. But it’s a pointless review as to what it means as to his abilities as an NHL coach going forward. It’s a review because you want to give a review. NEEDING to give a grade is an agenda. So is not wanting to give a grade other than incomplete for that matter (I think it’s a waste of time because the circumstances don’t fairly reflect on his abilities one way or the other).

Agenda isn’t a dirty word unless you want it to be.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
So you want to give him 40 games? I believe unfortunately this is the era of disposable coaches. Not sure if ownership is as patient as in the past. Hopefully the under 22 group will develop fast.
They signed Eakins to a 3 year contract. They’re on the hook for paying the next 2.75 seasons of that contract if they can him. Unless the team absolutely falls apart, there’s absolutely no way that they’re firing him this season, much less after 25 games.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad