Post-Game Talk: Dallas Cowboys vs Washington Redskins 7PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
@Sam Spade do you have the Corsis for Caps forwards tonight? I didn’t like matching top lines, want to see what it looked like.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
None of our top guys have played very well. Hagelin and Panik have been invisible. Holtby has been below average. And yet they have 6 points in 4 games against 4 teams that all made the 2nd round last year. They also have been allowing very few shots and have top 5 possession stats in the league. And they’re bottom 10 in PDO which suggests some bad luck. I don’t think there’s much to worry about right now. If Holtby has a decent season the team is probably in for a very good season.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Absolutely unconcerned with anything so far except maybe Hagelin and Panik on the third line. I actually thought the PP looked fine tonight aside from missing the net on a few opportunities.

The only thing I'm really concerned with is my concern that I voiced this summer of sacrificing talent for grit which could lead to a struggle to score coming to fruition. The Caps have dominated play at evens the first four games but are struggling to put the puck in the net and it's come back to bite them the last two games. They've gotten nothing from Hagelin or Panik and if Stephenson stays in over Dowd I think the fourth line will be hard pressed to score as well since Stephenson is where offense goes to die. Too early to draw any real conclusions and 6 out of 8 points over the first four against some tough teams is encouraging but there are chinks in the armor. The top line also looks a bit pedestrian at the moment.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
We had three goals scored on us off a bad turnover. This wasn’t on holtby
The goalie is the last line of defense in hockey. He still has a job to stop pucks and part of his job is stop pucks even when his team makes mistakes. OT goal Holtby has no chance on(but I strongly believe Samsonov would have stopped it because he is a lot quicker post to post then Holtby). The Stars other 3 goals were all stoppable pucks.

The Stars first goal Holtby slightly off on his angle because Hintz speed was misjudged. Any time a shooter comes down the left wing and fires left-handed the goalie better have his left leg pad and glove hand ready. Hintz didn't even shoot top corner, as he saw Holtby had a slight gap between his hip and glove. The shot off of Holtby and in.

2nd Stars goal Radulov was battling with a Caps player for the puck. Holtby prematurely went to the butterfly, sprang back up and then tried to close his five-hole again in desperation but Radulov just wacked at the puck and it zipped through Holtby's five-hole because he didn't have the goalie stick blade flat. Holtby was late to react and he knew it by slamming his stick on the ice in frustration. Pure butterfly goalies play the percentage in that situation and stay in the butterfly, which forces the shooter to go high. Radulov didn't have that option to shoot high as he had a Caps player on him.

3rd Stars goal, the player came in at angle with speed. Holtby misjudged it and he was too turned in to his right post. The Stars player made a slight move and tucked in between Holtby's five-hole because Holtby opened up with a late reactionary move. Butterfly goalies now commonly use the VH/Reverse-VH technique in that situation. You cover the five-hole forcing the shooter to go either high or take the puck wide. Holtby also had a poke-check option if he had timed it right, but he has never been good at using that technique.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
@Sam Spade do you have the Corsis for Caps forwards tonight? I didn’t like matching top lines, want to see what it looked like.

Every forward except Kuznetsov was over 50% tonight, who had the worst CF% on the team at 43.75%. All lines were over 58%. The Caps overall controlled 60.56% of shots at 5-on-5. Third period was a mess but the first 40 they took the Stars to the woodshed and should have had a bigger lead.

Stats here.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Siegenthaler needs to go down. Another dumb penalty by him today.

fehrevary is better defensively and at least doesn’t do stupid stuff like Siegs.

doesn’t Siegs have penalties in line 3 of 4 games now this season?

Right, 19 years old hhof prospects dont do stupid things. Safe bet totally

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Right, 19 years old hhof prospects dont do stupid things. Safe bet totally

It might not be a "safe" bet but it is foolish not to ice the best lineup every night. No matter their age and NHL experience.

A lot of teams are doing this now with young talented dmen, some due to necessity like Winnipeg and Heinola, some because the talent is simply there, like Dallas and Heiskanen, the Avs and Makar.

Maybe Fehrevary isn't an NHL'er yet but he brings an element to the team that Seigenthaler or Lewington don't so what is the risk in giving him a legit shot?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

fehrevary is better defensively and at least doesn’t do stupid stuff like Siegs.

The penalty by Siegenthaler this game wasn't a bad penalty. He was preventing a good scoring chance.
As for Fehrevary. It was his mistake that cost us the game against the Canes.

Reactions: Hinterland

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Fehervary did a lot of stupid stuff...despite getting mostly 3rd pairing time against weaker competition. Besides all the giveaways he took a minor for delay of game when he wasn't even pressured. He also made the mistake that allowed the Canes a 2vs1 vs Backstrom in OT and cost the Caps one point. Now of course that's on Reirden for putting him out there...still...at this point Fehervary is nowhere near Siegenthaler. I would have played him over Lewington though so Gudas can stay on his right side. LD Gudas sucks.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Stephenson has been fine. He hasn't hurt the team in any way. Fehrevary has.
Last in on ice goal differential and shot differential last year. This year he's only ahead of who've mostly played on his wing in shot differential, among forwards only ahead of the top line (?) in on ice goal differential. Unquestionably hurting the team.

Jun 15, 2007
I don't agree with mindless negativity but I don't feel like I'm being mindlessly negative. You don't see me screaming for BM's head, which is what some of you are acting like.

I'll criticize his decisions if I think they are wrong and praise them if they are good. Overall he's been very good but that doesn't mean he hasn't made bad moves either.

It's fine if you disagree with my criticism of his cap management but you should actually address that argument instead of saying "we are a really good team, why are you complaining?" because that is not really relevant.

Anyway, Lewington was not good yesterday. Hopefully Kempny comes back soon and doesnt look too rusty.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
They started the season well on the road, then came back home and got little too comfortable after getting the lead, and blew it. Twice.

They should have learned from the Game 7 loss.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
They look like a veteran team that knows it's October. You want more early, but they'll be fine if they stay healthy.

Holtby is not going to be worth his next contract. He's a middling keeper since Korn left.

The third line looks like shit.

This is where we see if Reirden has what it takes.

Reactions: Raikkonen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->