S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
To Dallas
Matt Calvert

To Colorado
Blake Comeau

I think a trade where they signed as free agents hoping their new team would be better, but a trade where the systems would be more ideal for each player to move to. Calvert hasn't been bad in Colorado, but I think his speed isn't as needed as compared to Comeau's body size. Vice-versa with the Stars where they're already a pretty heavy team and get faster with Calvert.

Last edited:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Not really sure I want Calvert's extra cap hit. The speed is nice, but what else is he better than Comeau at?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not really sure I want Calvert's extra cap hit. The speed is nice, but what else is he better than Comeau at?
He's a beast forechecker, PKer, and will block a shot for the team. He also plays much bigger than his size, but his puck skills are pretty brutal though (I will admit that). Comeau is dumber, but uses his size which is why I kind of want him back - this isn't to say that Calvert is soft or anything (it's quite contrary to the fact), but he's limited compared to Comeau.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Comeau has been pretty bad the last couple games, but once we use him properly on a checking line and give him time to get used to the system I think he’ll be a useful player for the Stars. He’s put up better offensive numbers the past couple years as well.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Comeau has been pretty bad the last couple games, but once we use him properly on a checking line and give him time to get used to the system I think he’ll be a useful player for the Stars. He’s put up better offensive numbers the past couple years as well.
Calvert is the much superior defencive player and possesses higher IQ. Comeau though physically engaging and battles hard, is quite clueless at times.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Yeah all that may be true, but when it comes down to hit Comeau has scored over 30 points in 3 of the last 4 seasons while Calvert has never scored more than 24. He can have brains for days, but I’d keep the more proven scorer.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
No interest in Comeau. Calvert will be useful throughout the duration of his contract, i'll be very surprised if Comeau is.

I do think we need another 2nd/3rd liner that has some offense, but might as well see what Dano can bring before we look at trade options.

Reactions: Foppberg and Bender

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Why?

Comeau is extremely erratic. Takes some idiotic penalties and occasionally has brain farts. He can be dominant, but really can’t tell as his play changes by shift.

Calvert might be slightly overpaid, but he has a much higher IQ and hustles during his shifts. Might be less talented, but at least reliable.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Why?

Comeau is extremely erratic. Takes some idiotic penalties and occasionally has brain farts. He can be dominant, but really can’t tell as his play changes by shift.

Calvert might be slightly overpaid, but he has a much higher IQ and hustles during his shifts. Might be less talented, but at least reliable.

Yeah, I completely agree. Please, no more Comeau in Colorado.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Over the last few seasons, when I saw Comeau on the ice, I felt like I was waiting for a screw up to happen. Watching Calvert, I see intensity and skill beyond what Comeau has ever had. Why would we downgrade for an older guy with term?

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone

ok this is crazy to try but id like to rehabilitate this infamous lowlight for Comeau. by just providing some context - everything had fallen apart for the avs, he was on the top line playing with Nathan Mackinnon, and he wants to drop him the puck because - if it works, the chance of scoring increases. Yes he overthought it and looks real bad, but if you had been watching those awful avalanche hockey games everything was bad and it was understandable in the circumstances Comeau would try and get young Mack the puck as he had been struggling, looking for a spark. our confidence shooting the puck, teamwide, had cratered

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Yeah all that may be true, but when it comes down to hit Comeau has scored over 30 points in 3 of the last 4 seasons while Calvert has never scored more than 24. He can have brains for days, but I’d keep the more proven scorer.

That's all fine and good but I can tell you that in the playoffs last year, that guy was a total no-show. Seems to me like he already knew he wasn't getting re-signed and completely checked out.

When you take a look at both Calvert and Comeau's career playoff stats, it's not even close:

Calvert 16GP 6G 4A 10PTS

Comeau 17GP 3G 0A 3PTS

Comeau can be an effective player at times but he can also be extremely infuriating when he takes a stupid penalty at the worse possible time. I won't be surprised at all if Comeau is bought out by the Stars at some point.

I'll take Calvert over Comeau quite easily when all things considered.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Comeau was great for his level last year here so I dont understand everyone ripping him. The only reason the Avs consider this is if they want to mimic the Comeau-Soder-Nieto chemistry they had last season.

But like everyone has stated speed and age wise, that would be moving backwards and the difference in cap hit is not enough to make a difference for either team.

Reactions: S E P H

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
If the Avs had any intention in doing this then it would have been done in the offseason. The Avs weren't interested in committing to Comeau and his replacement will be one of the kids. Calvert was added to fill the left over PK spot for the time being. Plus Comeau has been playing some big minutes for Dallas so far.

This is more of less a post of having to let go of the past.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
If the Avs had any intention in doing this then it would have been done in the offseason. The Avs weren't interested in committing to Comeau and his replacement will be one of the kids. Calvert was added to fill the left over PK spot for the time being. Plus Comeau has been playing some big minutes for Dallas so far.

This is more of less a post of having to let go of the past.

AVs didn't seem unlikely to offer more than 1 year for an aging Vet.

Dallas offered 3 years which could have easily signed him if they had any interest. Can't see why they would revisit and seemingly indicate they made a mistake with Calvert.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Calvert is the much superior defencive player and possesses higher IQ. Comeau though physically engaging and battles hard, is quite clueless at times.

Calvert is the “much superior defensive player?”

Do you even believe what you’re typing, Seph?

Comeau was our #1 penalty killer on a top 5 PK unit. He’s very good defensively and easily superior to Calvert. Calvert has hustle... that’s nice. Comeau is a more skilled player, bigger and stronger, much more active stick and a shot blocking/puck disrupting machine.

Comeau is better offensively. Comeau is better defensively. Comeau can play in the top 9, Calvert is strictly a 4th line player who can’t hit 10 goals.

They aren’t close, yet we overpaid Calvert by almost $500k more than Comeau because of our organization’s infatuation with ex-Blue Jackets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->