Rumor: Daley wants out?

marcmadsen

Sep 29, 2016
Unfortunately, I can't imagine there is much interest. There's a thread on this subject in the Trade Rumors forum - most posters don't think there is much value whatsoever. A bit surprisingly, to me, several Pens fans seemed interested and would be willing to give up something in the 5th to 6th round draft pick for him.

It only takes one team to be interested I guess, but if it does end up happening we've got to think the return will be pretty modest. If the DRW could get a 6th for Daley, I'd be happy for sure. Anything better than that would be a bonus

Reactions: Mlotek

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Aging 3rd pairing D-man who definitely lost a step... perhaps some team acquiring him on his previous name value that hasn't seen him play in a couple years.

Anything + warm body to replace him in lineup for rest of season.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Unfortunately, I can't imagine there is much interest. There's a thread on this subject in the Trade Rumors forum - most posters don't think there is much value whatsoever. A bit surprisingly, to me, several Pens fans seemed interested and would be willing to give up something in the 5th to 6th round draft pick for him.

It only takes one team to be interested I guess, but if it does end up happening we've got to think the return will be pretty modest. If the DRW could get a 6th for Daley, I'd be happy for sure. Anything better than that would be a bonus

Mind you, this is a website full of fans who tend to overvalue what the own and underrate what they would like to own.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Every year depth dmen with experience esp. playoff experience go for a decent return. I wouldn't expect any top picks but I would be surprised if we can't bolster our list of draft picks. Decent chance Daley can return something, just don't set your expectations too high.

Last edited:

marcmadsen

Sep 29, 2016
Mind you, this is a website full of fans who tend to overvalue what the own and underrate what they would like to own.

Fair enough. I was just giving a brief look at some opinions (even if likely to be founded in the overvalue/underrate perspective you've described) of other fan bases. I do agree with you though, 99% of posters here pull the overvalue/underrate game, no one is completely free from their own personal bias. Having said that, after watching Daley these last few years I'd like to imagine that I/we am/are underrating Daley in thinking he wouldn't garner much, if any, trade interest. Hopefully, I'm wrong and there is more interest (i.e. a team is willing to give up something of moderate value) in the 2x former cup champ, as I'd happily be wrong. But from where I sit, my prediction would be he gets moved for a 7th

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
SY should send him to GR. They are cup contenders and Daley might actually benefit that team.

Reactions: Sentinel

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019

If fans are willing to go 5th or 6th round pick. The reality is probably 3rd or 4th. Fans always overvalue what they have and undervalue what they want.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Some comparables to last years deadline:

-NJ sent Ben Lovejoy to Dallas for a 3rd rounder and Connor Carrick (probably similar value to Bowey in the Jensen trade?)
-NYR sent Adam McQuaid to CBJ for a 4th, 7th and a throw in AHL prospect (probably for contract room since the Jackets made a ton of deadline adds)

Both guys were similar to Daley in that they had Cup winning experience and were older (Lovejoy) and/or had a lot of recent injury issues (McQuaid).

The fit for Daley is probably to go to a playoff team as a veteran 3rd paid guy that won't be expected to log big minutes, or as depth guy for a playoff team that might be worried about lingering injuries to some of the regular dman and/or may not completely trust some younger D that are currently regulars. The Wings did something similar way back when they brought in Jamie Macoun. He looked done on a bad Leafs team, but the Wings brought him in at the TDL for a spare 4th as a Cup winning depth guy and to appease Bowman's appetite for vets. He came in and went from spare part #6/7 guy, to pushing Ward and (sexier TDL rental) Mironov to the press box, Eriksson and Fetisov to the 3rd pairing and forming a shutdown 2nd pair with Rouse.... then Holland figured Rouse wasn't in the plans and let him walk, signed Krupp to an infamous (and allegedly uninsured) contract, and Macoun went back to being done.

Not saying Daley would do the same, but the outlook at the deadline is probably similar.

Depending on who else is available, how many teams are interested and how much the Wings are willing to retain, Daley's value probably ranges from late 3rd to a 5th.

I would think if they move both Daley and Green, they try to get a stop gap dman or another young reclamation project like Bowey in a trade so they don't have to make a D in GR ineligible for the AHL playoffs or burn a regular call up to have 6 D in the NHL after the deadline passes.

Reactions: SirloinUB

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Maybe we can get a used jock strap for him midseason?

And YEA DALEY LEAVE please. We do not want you back after this season! You're friggen awful. Take half of the team with you.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
If fans are willing to go 5th or 6th round pick. The reality is probably 3rd or 4th. Fans always overvalue what they have and undervalue what they want.

I'm trying to remember what the consensus among Wings fans was on Jensen's value last year between them going into the season thinking he was garbage that would clear waivers and eventually pulling a 2nd and Bowey at the deadline.

IIRC, Smith was worth a 3rd and possibly but unlikely a late 2nd, then he pulled a 2nd and 3rd at the deadline.

marcmadsen

Sep 29, 2016
I can see some teams having some interest in him as a 6D/7D. Plus, injuries will happen between now and the TDL. So, sure I mean I can see some GMs valuing him as a previous cup winner. But I just don't see the trade value being near a late 3rd (as @ShelbyZ noted as being the high end of the range). Obviously, I hope I'm wrong about that. If I were a cup contending GM and I was looking for a 6D/7D, I don't know that I'd be willing to part with a pick in the range being quoted for an oft-injured, 37 year old who has lost more than a step. But I do acknowledge that it's a subjective opinion. If my roster were completely devoid of playoff experience or championships, then maybe that'd be enough to push me to up the ante.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Really? Many of us thought Kronwall would have had no interest.

Someone offered a pick for him.

We thought nobody would be interested in Vanek after minimal interest the previous 2 years and dogshit defensive play, Detroit was still offered a pick.

Both players declined to be traded.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Really? Many of us thought Kronwall would have had no interest.

Someone offered a pick for him.

We thought nobody would be interested in Vanek after minimal interest the previous 2 years and dog**** defensive play, Detroit was still offered a pick.

Both players declined to be traded.

Yeah, maybe many posters in here won't understand the fact that mediocre players lookd bad on a crap team and same mediocre guy looks good on a contender.

And GMs of those contenders understand that they need some extra depth for the long playff run, because you can't predict injuries. They don't want their run end on an injury bug, there has to be proven veterans + own kids to take some replacement roles, when you get your unlucky break.

Reactions: SirloinUB

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
If you can get a 5th, 6th or even a 7th, why not?

The most interesting thing here is that a Red Wing has told the media he wants out.
Yeah...this was what I was thinking. Maybe a 4th with 50% retained

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad